How do I know if I have this???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BonBon11, May 6, 2003.

1. BonBon11

BonBon11 New Member

Hello Everyone, About six years ago I was diagnosed with FM, although at the time I didn't believe it (no offense). I have been to atleast forty doctors over the course of the last twenty years and no one has helped me. I don't have 11 out of 18 tender points - never did (this was partly why I didn't didn't belive the diagnoses). Interestingly enough the only tender points I have are on my head (which no doctor seems to care about). Anyway, I am now at the end of my rope. I have always dealt with this chronic tiredness and awful pain - but I can't take it any more. I think I'm going crazy. I just went for another round of tests and of course everything is normal. At this point I am becoming debilitated and am having trouble functioning. I have three small children who require constant attention and I barely have the strength to change their diapers. I can't pick anything up becasue of the pain in my shoulders and neck and my hips are now becoming a problem too. Everyone around me says "I'm depressed" and want me to "talk to someone". I say to them "you'd be depressed to if you couldn't hardly move" Where do I go from here - how do I find a doctor that will believe how I feel? I have had every test run for every thing (lyme, MS, arthitis, etc.)and everything is clean. How do I really know if this is what I have?

BonBon11
  2. billiegail

billiegail New Member

I am not going to be much help either. I don't have 11 of the 18 tender points either. I have been through so many test I feel like a pin cushion and an Xray.
    I hurt in all the areas, but when my doctor pressed these area's I did not scream out in pain either. So, he is not so sure I have FM. Another doctor thinks I do, but is still running a battery of test to be sure it is not something else. I did not know there were too many more test to be run on me.
    I was sure I had everything done. lol
    I for one will not show the outside world my pain either. Maybe I should go in there as a basket case and scream and cry until someone does something.
    I don't see the difference anyway. If you hurt you hurt. I don't see the difference in the deep pain and the top of the nerve pain. Sometimes when someone touches me, it hurts so bad and It feels like they punched me there.
    Other times it is a deep throbing pain and I can barely walk or move.
    God bless you and let us know how you are doing and I am sure someone knowledgeable will be along soon.
  3. joniacato

joniacato New Member

From what I've been told, you don't know if you have FM until all your test come back negative. They have to rule out everything else, then if you still hurt and they can't find a pathological cause, then it's FM. I don't like the way they word it or approach it. When I was getting diagnosed, my sedentary test showed that I had some kind of inflammation, but later when the Internal Medicine doctor ran tests, I no longer had any inflammation, but I was still told that I have FM. I have been on different meds. I am currently gaining weight-yes, I exercise, and no I don't have the munchies-have sharp pains in my arms, legs, hands, wrists, sometimes my chest and neck, difficulty getting to sleep and staying there, my arms and left leg are going numb for lack of a better word. Is it FM, or something else, I don't know. I wish it was something with a better description and cure.
  4. loopyloo

loopyloo New Member

welcome to the board you said you were diagnosed with fm but it doesn't always come on its own I was diagnosed with M.E/cfs last year but it took 5 years of pain before i was diagnosed your symptoms sound the same as my'n i think i also have fm but have not bean diagnosed with fm but will mention it when i next go to a doctor perhaps you could mention CFS next time you go to a doctor let us no how you get on
    (((((((((big hugs))))))))))))))) from the UK
    from Loopyloo xxx
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I was sick for 10 years before any tender spots showed up. The mapping is just an arbitrary criterium set up by the rheumies to try to help them make a DX since there are no markers for our illness, at least not any that are easy to come by.

Try to accept that you at least have something in the same family as FMS and use your energy trying to heal. What works for one of our illnesses often works for others. Treat your worst symptom first and go from there.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  6. MaggieMays

MaggieMays New Member

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia for years to only find out that I had Lyme disease. I still have Fibro like symptoms, but seem to be doing much better since being on antibiotics. You may want to check out LymeNet.org there you'll find a plethra of posters who were diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, CFS or MS that really all along had Lyme Disease. I wish you the best.