how do I know if I'm dehydrated?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Beadlady, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I got the icky stomach flu. did manager to eat 1/2 popsicle this afternoon and the other 1/2 tonight. and I have been rinsing my mouth out with water a lot
  2. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

IF you suspect you are dehydrated to hold the skin on the back of you hand(pinch) for the count of 10 if it bounces back you arn't if however it leves a line and takes a few seconds to bounce back you need more fluids.

with flu you are very suceptial to dehydration try warm 7-up in sips all day long if you have a hard time keeping things down.

Hope you are feeling better soon!!!!!
  3. Signs of Dehydration:

The simplest way to check for dehydration is to check urine color. It should be clear or very pale yellow. If it begins to darken in color, fluid intake should increase.

(Note: If you've increased water intake -- but thirst, headache or other symptoms persist -- check with your doctor. It might simply be that a fluid containing electrolytes is needed to restore a normal balance. It could also be that some other underlying cause requires medical attention.)

Remember: if you try to drink a large amount of water all at once, your kidneys will simply flush the excess fluid by sending you to the bathroom. It's better to drink regular amounts of fluid throughout the day. Each morning, pour the liquid you need to drink and make sure that by the end of the day, it's gone. That way, you won't forget how much you've already had.

Mild Dehydration: (increase fluid intake -- and for babies, call a medical professional): Thirst, dry lips, dry mouth, flushed skin, fatigue, irritability, headache, urine begins to darken in color, urine output decreases

Moderate Dehydration: (call a medical professional): All of the signs of mild dehydration, plus: skin doesn't bounce back quickly when pressed, very dry mouth, sunken eyes, (in infant - sunken fontanel, the soft spot on the head), output of urine will be limited and color of urine will be dark yellow, cramps, stiff and/or painful joints, severe irritability, fatigue, severe headache

Severe Dehydration: (call emergency number): All of the signs of mild and moderate dehydration, plus: blue lips, blotchy skin, confusion, lethargy, cold hands and feet, rapid breathing, rapid and weak pulse, low blood pressure, dizziness, fainting, high fever, inability to pee or cry tears, disinterest in drinking fluid

4. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

My first clue is dry mouth and or dry lips. Pee should be clear in color and dark yellow :) You need at least 6 to 8 ounces of clear water a day to not be dehydrated. A fever will dehydrate you fast.
    Take care Dee50
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

I don't know how to tell if I am dehydrated, but I know it is easy to dehydrate when you have the flu or anytime you are sick.

My mother was not sick but had to go get some routine blood work. They had a hard time getting blood and told her that was because she was dehydrated. She told them that she doesn't drink much during the day.

I talked this over with my daughter who is a physician. She told me that elderly people tend to "forget" to drink enough during the day.

She told me what to tell my mother: To keep a bottle of water close to her chair, or on the kitchen table, or wherever she will see it most often, and tell her to take a drink of it every time that she passed it--hopefully, every 15 min., even if it's just a sip!

So, that might apply to you, too! Take a sip of water every 15 min. or so so avoid becoming dehydrated -- as long as you can keep the water down, that is!

Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Hugs,
    jlh
  6. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Symptoms of dehydration: headaches, body aches, dizziness or lightheaded, leading also to nausea or vomiting if your electrolytes are also very depleted.

Make sure you are taking small sips of water, little bit at a time, and that you aren't just drinking water .... water with some salt in it or gatorade powder (diluted MUCH more than the instructions say) will help increase your electrolytes- the salts in your body that you NEED along with water.

Other options: very water soups with salt in the mix (top ramen sometimes does the trick)

I got this information from EMTs (emergendy medical technicians) and a emergency medical training course I took.
  7. grace54

grace54 New Member

I saw a DR OZ I think his name was on Oprah talking about our digestive system and he also said are urine should be clear, if not drink more water. I asked my urologist twice why my urine was so dark and he said I don't know then I said I think I need more water and he thought that was a good idea. How could he not know this!