How do I stay financially afloat - not even formally dx yet!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DeMcKen, Aug 26, 2002.

1. DeMcKen

DeMcKen New Member

I've been fighting depression/sleep disorder/extreme fatigue for years now. These last few months have gotten so bad that I've begun to wonder if I'm seriously sick, seriously lazy, a serious hypychondriac or seriously crazy. I've been doing a lot of research and the symptoms of CFS almost completely describe the way I'm feeling. I'm trying to find a qualified doctor to go to now.

On one hand I'm morbidly excited to think there's a real reason for all this and on the other hand I'm scared to death just thinking how I'm going to manage. I'm a single mother (thankfully she's 11 now and can do a lot for herself, but still) and I was let go from my job at the end of April after trying to explain some of the setbacks I'd been having. So right now I'm collecting unemployment and that's the only reason I'm staying afloat (I just barely escaped foreclosure last week), but I really shouldn't be accepting it because I can't for the life of me figure how I'm going to go back to work when I can't even go to the mailbox.

I know the first thing I have to do is see a doctor and get formally diagnosed if this is the case and I also know there's a possibility of help from disability. My question is what to I do in the meantime to support myself? I've already had to withdraw my daughter from her school and cancel every non-necessity and occassionally some of the actual necessities.

I'm sure there are those of you out there who were in the same situation at one time and I would be so thankful for any suggestions,

Denise
  2. DeMcKen

DeMcKen New Member

I've been fighting depression/sleep disorder/extreme fatigue for years now. These last few months have gotten so bad that I've begun to wonder if I'm seriously sick, seriously lazy, a serious hypychondriac or seriously crazy. I've been doing a lot of research and the symptoms of CFS almost completely describe the way I'm feeling. I'm trying to find a qualified doctor to go to now.

On one hand I'm morbidly excited to think there's a real reason for all this and on the other hand I'm scared to death just thinking how I'm going to manage. I'm a single mother (thankfully she's 11 now and can do a lot for herself, but still) and I was let go from my job at the end of April after trying to explain some of the setbacks I'd been having. So right now I'm collecting unemployment and that's the only reason I'm staying afloat (I just barely escaped foreclosure last week), but I really shouldn't be accepting it because I can't for the life of me figure how I'm going to go back to work when I can't even go to the mailbox.

I know the first thing I have to do is see a doctor and get formally diagnosed if this is the case and I also know there's a possibility of help from disability. My question is what to I do in the meantime to support myself? I've already had to withdraw my daughter from her school and cancel every non-necessity and occassionally some of the actual necessities.

I'm sure there are those of you out there who were in the same situation at one time and I would be so thankful for any suggestions,

Denise
  3. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Doing research is an important step. Finding a good doctor is important, you can look on the doctor referral section on home or library page. There's some good tips on how to find a doctor and a link to the co-cure.org cfids/fms good dr. list.

I found it very helpful to not only keep track of my symptoms (which I still do), but to put a timeline together of when symptoms started to occur & if perhaps a viral infection, accident, or other traumatic event happened which you've never really recovered physically from.

As far as the depression, most people who do have cfids or fms do not suffer from depression first, many times it can come after b/c of the frustration of not getting dx'd, not being able to do what you want to do, pain, etc. I found the depression-screening.org (sponsered by the National Mental Health Assn) a very useful tool to help learn & help identify if you may be suffering from clinical depression.

If you feel you are suffering from clinical depression, your dr. should be able to dx that at least and get you some help, while you're searching for a dr to dx cfids.

A lot of people have found temp agencies a good place to work as you can pick & choose a little easier when you want to work.

Best wishes. Don't give up hope, there's many here to offer even more advice & have been where you're at. Michele
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Denise, welcome to the board. Michele has given you some very good adivce, the doctor list should get you the right diagnosis, if you don't fine a doctor in your area there, give the state you are in on the board, and possibly someone here can share their doctor with you.

I hope you get the help you need soon before you have more financial problems.

Again, welcome to the group.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. DeMcKen

DeMcKen New Member

I have been treated for depression for several years now, but I've never felt that was what was wrong with me. I've felt that, if anything, the depression is a result of this fatigue/sleep thing that's been bothering me for a much longer period of time. I'm on 300mg of Zoloft, 400 mg of Provigil and Lorazepam as needed. Until several months ago, the Zoloft seemed to help me at least function. The Provigil doesn't do a thing for me, which I don't understand. It seems lately the most helpful is the lorazepam because it seems stress severely aggravates my symptoms. My largest issue is never feeling as if I've gotten any sleep. I can sleep for 8,10,12 hours and still not want to wake up. It's getting to the point now where I don't leave my house until there's absolutely nothing left to feed my daughter. Okay that's enough for now, just too tired to even think anymore but wanted to say thank you and I am looking forward to checking out the doctor info you referred me to.

Denise