How do I stop kitty from ripping up my lampshade?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mezombie, Jan 19, 2008.

1. mezombie

mezombie Member

My cat has been entertaining herself lately by going after a lampshade. She's already ripped the inner lining and torn off most of the lower rim.

Is there anything I can put on the fabric shade that would deter her yet not stain the shade?

Or is there something else I can do?

She has plenty of toys and even another cat to play with.

Any suggestions?
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

Hi there- so you got a crazy cat that has a thing for lamp shades. Get a squirt bottle with water. Everytime she even looks at squirt her.

Maybe someone else will have another answer but they don't care much for water. Carla
  3. mezombie

mezombie Member

Would you believe this crazy cat actually *loves* water?

The squirt gun doesn't faze her. She just stops for a moment, licks, then continues whatever she's up to.

She begs me to pet her with wet hands, and hovers on the edge of the bathtub when I take a shower.

He he.

Yeah, I got a nut.
  4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Get rid of the claws!!

5. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

strong smells. I put a few drops of lavender essential oil anywhere I want kitty to stay away. Doesn't stain.

6. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

maybe a few drops of citrus, lemon, in the squirt bottle???

plus all the other ideas, one of my OLDER cats likes to scratch the furniture, I bought a scratching post and put it direectly infront of the furniture with NO avail....

they have their own minds its seems LOL

angel hugs

7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hi, Z.

Kitty is frustrated by something. Maybe she's getting back at you for going away for the holidays.

Regardless, get rid of the old lampshade. If possible, don't replace it right away. As others have said, it's "hers" now.

When you do replace it, you might find that smacking a rolled up newspaper on your hand repeatedly (quick, loud noise!) along with NO! will discourage her if she tries again. You must be diligent though.

There is a product that you can spray on things to discourage cats but you'd need to Google it and see if it stains.

But please. No declawing of adult cats. This procedure doesn't just remove the nail, it removes the first "knuckle" of their paws. The shelter had an adopted adult cat bleed to death after her declawing. The people meant well but the vet should have known better or put a "clown collar" on her. Zoey was five.

Good luck. After you've been home awhile, I suspect kitty will calm down.

8. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Ditto on the vinegar. I just read that it is a good cat repellent. They hate the smell. I read it in reference to cleaning cat spray and repelling them from returning to the spot again.

Your cat sounds just like mine... a water-loving lampshade swinger. Scotty likes to be actively involved in the dish washing procedure. Its a paw's-on job. He is stationed in the left half of the split sink as a water pressure monitor and bubble gatherer.

Scotty is fascinated with two lamps I have that hang from the ceiling on chains. One I made myself has fringe, and its his fav. He jumps up, gets hold and then gyrates his body till he gets the whole thing spinning in circles. A squirt of water just makes it all that much better. In my case, I was able to just raise it out of his reach though.

I have another table lamp he likes to mess with that has strands of beads hanging from the shade. He hasn't wrecked the beads yet, but he likes to put his head in by the lightbulb. He has no wiskers left to singe - he already lost all his eye wiskers from his obsession with candle flame sniffing.

Short of removing everything you own from the home and living in an empty shell, there is always something ELSE a playful kitten will find to mess with.

It could be worse though. My daughters cat Rick Brockman is a toilet diver. He is Johnny-on-the-spot at flush time for either "action fishing" or just to watch the water go down. He used to dive in for the full jacuzzi experience, but luckily he got real big (25 lbs) and won't fit anymore.

For now, try the vinegar/water spray. Or as others have mentioned, cat repellent spray like you can find at the pet stores. Maybe you could pick him up a dummy lamp decoy at a garage sale or something. A lamp he CAN play with. Hot glue on some fringe or something, rub it in catnip, and maybe he will lose interest in your boring lamps.

9. mezombie

mezombie Member

Creative, isn't it? That's the only time she does it.

I'm sound asleep, but she decides it's wakey-wakey time and does anything she can think of to get my attention. I try to ignore her, because I really, really need my rest or I'm done for.

So as much as I appreciate the paper rustling and firm "no" idea, Sheepwrestler and Marta608, this would defeat my goal of continuing to snooze.

Alaska3355, I agree with Marta608 -- declawing is out of the question.

Ovrwhelm and Marta608: The shade is hers now???? Along with everything else in my home??? Say it ain't so!

Jewels920, Fight4acure, 4everkid, and Cat003: I think the answer does lie in spraying the lampshade with a deterrent.

I did find some lavendar cologne that I sprayed in her direction yesterday. That did work, although the poor thing reeked of lavendar, which she probably found appalling! I put some solid lavendar perfume on the rim of the shade, too, which worked until the scent left. I'll try applying it tonight before I go to bed and see what happens.

Cat003, I will definitely google the No Scratch!

Kjm, Harmony21, Fight4acure and 4everkid, you made me laugh! Cats are something, aren't they?

Cats rule, and aren't about to let us forget that!

Thanks for your suggestions!

Has anyone tried the vinegar and water mixture on fabric without it staining? I'm a bit worried that it might. Then again, I'd rather have stained shade than no shade...I really need a lamp there, and staring at a bare bulb...ouch!

10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

She has a goal and has trained you well. Shredding the shade wakes you up! Cat's are smart - and sneaky.

Did she do this before you went on your trip? I still think she's reacting to something and if we don't figure out what, she'll find something else to take her frustration out on.

As much of a drag as it is, could you remove the shade before you go to bed for a couple of weeks and keep the lavendar smell around the base?

If all else fails - which I don't think it will - I hope you'll consider a vet visit for her. Sometimes cats have weird ways of telling us things about themselves.

11. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Scotty likes to play with water,or to have water dripped over or sprayed on him. But he doesn't like being immersed. These quirks rarely work in our favor.

Rick Brockman, on the other hand, was known to hang out IN the toilet on occasion, and naps in the sink. Fortunately, he also loves to take showers and baths. My daughter shared shower time with Ricky many times. This love of water probably comes from all the baths he HAD to take as a kitten after toilet diving.

That's Scotty in my profile. He discovered that he could climb way up into the Christmas tree and lay across the inner branches. Luckily he didn't make this discovery until well after Christmas when I was preparing to take it down. He discovered that he could knock the ornaments off and grab at us while we attempted to remove them. I hope he forgets all this by next Christmas!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/22/2008]
  12. mezombie

mezombie Member

Yeah, Sassy did this before I went away. She is reacting to not getting breakfast the exact moment she wants it! Once I feed her, she's fine.

It's all about f-o-o-d.

She also tries to eat anything of mine unless I guard it.

I spoke to the vet about this obsession with food. He said often shelter cats who've had a rough life and not enough food as kittens exhibit this kind of behavior.

There is also the boredom factor. Even with another cat and plenty of toys to play with, she really wants more play time with me. Unfortunately, if it's possible to have Fibro just in one's arms, I do. So it's very difficult and painful for me to dangle objects, throw things, etc. for very long.

Luckily, she is a little over two years old now, and is beginning to want more "lap time".

Now that's something I can handle!

As to the shade, the lavendar smell has kept her at bay.

And CKBall's idea of squirting her with water works to distract her. I am using a water pistol, he he.
  13. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Mezoombie, Its always great when you find something that works, that you already had on hand. I will have to remember the lavender trick.

Snog, my previous cat Sally was a sink drinker too. Everytime I went to the bathroom, she was there for her drink. Some cats like it fresh from the tap I guess.

I think the bathroom sink nap is universally loved by any cats who have ever checked it out on a hot day. It's just the right shape and size, and fun and slidey too! The whole cat-in-the-sink thing inspired me. I decided a while back I am going to make a cat bed out of clay, round like the sink, but more artistically shaped. Kind of a 50's atomic-retro styled cat bed. Scotty always wants to "interact" with my sculptures anyway.... I might as well make one for him that he's ALLOWED to drape himself across.
  14. Marta608

Marta608 Member

....I'm glad you're having them, Z.

And I completely understand the food obsession because Sophie has it too. The vet is absolutely right, of course; cats who've been starving for any length of time demand food often and quickly once they have it again. It's interesting and a little sad at the shelter to see which cats have been without food. It's always obvious. As for the dripping tap water, some love it and others couldn't care less. We had one cat that drank so much tap water that she upset her electrolyte balance. She's stick her whole head under the faucet and drink, drink, drink. We turned it off until she was adopted, then her new person had to go through the same thing.

I'm THRILLED to hear that your cat still wants you, even with another cat there. I've been preparing myself to try another cat in the spring with the hope that Sophie would demand less from me. Maybe I can save myself the stress. Whew.

An odd cat toy hint: many cats like foam rubber ear plugs. You can buy them many places in packages, in all colors, but they like orange best. Sophie will play with her ear plug all by herself whereas she wants me playing with her otherwise. She loves carrying it around and stuffing it under doors. It all began when I had an MRI and brought home a package of ear plugs. Now I buy them by the box.

'Ya might wanna try it if you have any.