how do people exercise?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jfrustrated, Nov 3, 2005.

1. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

I would appreciate hearing ideas of how people are able to exercise. I seem to have run out of options.
    * It is difficult for me to walk, except in shopping centres, and by the time I dress up a little bit to be presentable for the public, I am too tired to go, and the movement around me at the times when I can go is very tiring now. I used to be better at it, but it is no longer a real option.
    *Walking in parks tends to result in a fall, because the surfaces are not flat.
    *I was going to a heated salt water pool and have now developed a chemical sensitivity to what they put in the water.
    * I cannot walk in the yard because it is sloped and 'landscaped'.

How do you "move it"? I do not want to "lose it"?
  2. jaltair

jaltair New Member

The best thing for me is the gym. However, I don't belong to one anymore. We've thought about rejoining, but I just don't have the stamina to make a good committment.

I know what you mean about falling. I seem to trip over my own foot even on level surfaces. My husband got a stationary bike for exercise. But honestly, I just plain do not have energy and don't feel "enthusiastic" about doing any physical activity. Everythings a chore.

Wish I could be more positive with suggestions for you!
  3. lalasland

lalasland New Member

If u have a gym that has an indoor pool..u r set. Anything with me in warm water is so helpful. U also get a pretty good wk-out if u only walk back & forth in the pool.I also use...at home..a excercise ball 4 streching & 2 losen up in the A.M. b4 I even leave my bedroom..It helps 2 stretch & warm my WHOLE body. As u know how stiff we r when we 1st. wake. I learned how 2 use the ball by asking the physical therapist that wk's with the gym I'm connected with..2 make sure I was not going 2 do something 2 make matters worse....Even if u walk around your hm. 4 20 min. it's better than nothing...I just know..that a little movement is better than none...no matter how u get it...Good luck 2 all & Bless u....LaLa
  4. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

I was sent by my dr when first diagnosed to a gym for rehab its a gym attached to our local hospital and cost me $3 each time I went was assessed by a physio as you are also so in Australia you should have the same service available after another assessment I am able to go as an independant at $4.40 each time I also did thai chi there but my arms didn't like it can also do hydro. I am in Bendigo Linda
  5. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I am able to walk outside, but if you are not, I second walking around the house. When an uncle of mine was recovering from surgery, he would get up and walk around the house during the commercials while watching television.

I also do stretches that my former chiropractor prescribed for me.

I once took a Tai Chi class at a hospital that was designed for people recovering from cancer surgery, but open to anyone. It was a non-strenuous class and members were encouraged to further alter the movements to match their own capabilities.
  6. spmary

spmary New Member

I go to a water excercise class,for arthritis called twinges in the hinges. It's mostly strecthing and doing each joint. other people who have had surgery and this DD use it too. It's very easy and not tiring. It's at the YMCA. Costs very little. And fun too. Some hospitals have the program, you only hav to have a note from your doc. You may swim too after the class.
  7. hunterwillow

hunterwillow New Member

On the days I am feeling stronger I use a Tony Little gazelle. I have the cheapest model. It cost me $80 at a local K-mart. It stretches your leg muscles while you "walk". Its no impact, but you can feel it working. My favorite exercise is my recumbant exercise bike. The seat is far more comfortable than an upright. I even put a pillow on the back rest for more comfort. I pedal while watching tv. It helps to keep some weight off (which is getting harder each year). I bought it at K-mart also, but I have seen them at wal-mart for $89-$99 dollars. I have tremendous trouble with my feet, so these machines keep me moving. Best of luck.
  8. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

jfrustrated .. I know what you mean about the times when you get all fixed up to go and then are just worn out .. it happens a lot to me ..

I'm a loner when it comes to physical exercise .. I tried Tia Chi and even though it was a small class I was totally distracted by all the bodies in the room .. I must have been a hermit in an earlier life ! haha

I do two things .. we have a treadmill at home .. I listen to music as I walk on that .. but one of the best things I do, which keeps me more flexible and lessons back ache problems, is yoga .. or my modified yoga in bed .. I have a heating pad on my lower back to warm and relax the muscles and then I do a series of leg hugging and stretching .. and I am amazed how much better I feel and how strong my legs have become.
    The only cost to all of this is the heating pad and this really does the trick.
    Hope you find something you are comfortable with !
    Good Luck
    Fudge !
  9. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Where I work there are 3 different walk routes I can take. One takes about 20 minutes, the other two about a 1/2 hr. My pain and fatigue dictate which route I go. I make myself go every day. I've found that walking doesn't seem to hurt my FM. If I hurt more, I take it slower. I still get flares whether I do it or not, so I figure I might as well do it.

The only time I stop is when a flare keeps me at home. Then I rest up. It's turned into a habit now where I feel guilty if I don't go out. It also makes my feel better mentally. Should be a challenge in our Canadian winter though.

I'm hypothyroid, have acid reflux disease along with having FM, so trying to keep my weight at a reasonable level takes a lot of effort. Extra weight around my upper stomach kills me with the reflux.

Just do what you can.

All the best

Eileen
  10. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I have managed to stay active for many years and I do think it has definitely prevented me from becoming housebound with FMS. Of course it's not always easy and I have to be careful not to overdue. We bought some used exercise equipment and put it in our basement. We have a family room down there so I can walk on the treadmill and watch TV or listen to "oldies" music. We also have a stair climber, rowing machine and stationery bike. It's great for when the weather is bad.

When the weather is nice, I walk around our neighborhood, which takes me about 30 minutes. I can't walk on hard surfaces like concrete, so I have to walk next to the road on the dirt and grass. I also can't do hills, but fortunately that's not a problem in Michigan.

The past several weeks I have been going to physical therapy three afternoons a week. They have shown me different stretches that help to keep my muscles flexible. I also use their pool and do water walking. I have also signed up for six weeks of using the pool three afternoons a week for an hour starting in December.

It's too bad that you are allergic to the pool water. That would be a great way for you to exercise. But I would consider getting a treadmill.

Ellen
  11. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

I absolutely love Yoga, Tai Chi, my elliptical machine, the treadmill is okay and I love Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds indoor walking workouts.

I don't do any of those as much as I should, but they are all good exercises that don't kill me as long as I don't over do it.
  12. mrafirst

mrafirst New Member

Hi,
    I have to keep trying new things to see what suits me at any given time. I'm been in a process of this for about 1.5 years. Right now I use my elliptical machine in my basement 3-4 days a week and go to Curves (circuit training/aerobics) one or two days. When the weather is nice, I try to walk in my neighborhood or on the campus where I work. I've tried Tai Chi, but found it very tough and complex to learn. I enjoyed doing Yoga once a week for quite a while, but just lost my teacher in a move. Of all the exercises that brought good feelings of comfort, I'd put Yoga at the top. I just started trying Aqua Aerobics this week, though, so who knows what that will be like. I've been recommended to many of these things by docs over the years, and some are just because I like them. The more variety the better, I say. YMMV!
    Mary Rose
  13. hehmommy

hehmommy New Member

I remember my Mom having on of those things you pedal while you sit because she needed to get some circulation going in her legs, but wasn't able to get up and walk. I am not sure where you would find it. Also just gentle stretching while you are sitting would be good. Walking around the house too would be good that way you can take breaks and hold onto something if need be. I am still able to get around, but if this time came that I couldn't I would find ways to stay active while laying or sitting.

Trish :)
  14. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

I think you should start slow and easy. Ask your doctor for a referral to a PT who specializes in CFS/FM.

It can be real difficult getting started with an exercise commitment, but you deserve to do it for yourself to improve your health. On your daily TO DO LIST this should be NUMBER ONE on your list. I am 45 years old and this is the first time in my life I have made it a priority after many years of not exercising. It is now number 1 on my list at least 5 days a week no matter how tired or sore I am. I go to the gym right after I drop my son off at school because if I wait until later it's harder to get motivated. Many days I am feeling tired or exhausted before I exercise, but I drag my butt in the gym anyway cuz I know it's something I have to do for my health.

Last Dec. at PT I was could barely do ten min. on a stationary bike with no resistance after a fall that injured both ankles and knees. Now I can ride it for 40 - 45 min working up to a tension level 8.

I attend 2 Yoga classes with 2 different instructors and they both focus on slow and gentle stretching as well as strength building. There is a lot of time for mind body connection, breathing technique and relaxation. Both instructors work hard to meet individual needs as well. Our local hospital has monthly Fibromyalga education classes and this month the topic was on Yoga and my Yoga instructor was very eager to come and learn more so she could help me and others, but unfortunately the class was cancelled at the last minute because the instructor had a family medical emergency.

For about a month now I have attended a beg/Sr. Chi-ball aerobics class that really challenges my entire body, but I have so much fun. The instructor and others in the class have been very encouraging. While this is a beg.Sr. class and is a slower pace than a regular class, it is still extremely challenging and tiring for me and a hard workout, but it is so fun the soreness I get after is worth it. It took me 9 months of consistently working out to reach this point to have enough stamina and strength to last through a class like this despite the FMS setting in after my injury.

I also work out with weights and attend aquatic exercise classes 2 days a week.

I noticed on TV there is an exercise class I've seen in the past where they do exercises while sitting in a chair. It use to come on sometime between 930am and 1030am.

I recently attended a lecture by a cardiologist from the American Heart Association at our local hospital women's health center on "Heart Disease and Women". The statistics are scary that 1 out of 2 women die of heart disease. Poor diet and a sedentary life style are one of the ways we can help ourselves to prevent this and keep ourselves healthier even if we have CFS/FM.

This week I started working with a PT that specializes in Fibromyalgia patients for some guidance since I've gotten so sore. She recommended I stop the weights for awhile and stretch every day (my legs muscles were very tight)and make sure I have some cardio at least 5 days a week.

I hope this helps you get started on some kind of exercise.

Jeanette

15. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

in three ways. First and foremost, I try to walk at least 2 miles a day. Secondly, I go to a salt-water pool and do Ai Chi (T'ai chi adapted for water). And thirdly, I do agentle Yoga routine once in a while. Not as often as I used to due to time constraints.

I believe in the "use it or lose it" theory.
  16. Empower

Empower New Member

Exercise???Can't do it

Best that I can do is some very short walks

I understand about the chlorine in pools - very nasty and makes me feel worse
  17. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

exercise. No energy. (No pain: no pain.)

Decades ago when I was young and slim I went to a gym. Aging and 25 years of CFS have left me a pretty much an overweight wreck.

But I still keep looking for something that will give me back some energy. If I find it I will walk off some weight. Of course here in Los Angeles, that's a problem too. Last time I took a walk in LA I got mugged by two thugs.

By the way, there is a "walking doctor" in our neighborhood. He's been written up in the papers a couple times. He walks 2 or 3 hours a day. Wears a cap, shorts and running shoes. Reads a newspaper while he walks. I even seen him out in the rain. Has the physique of 20 year old and he's 50 or so.

But still...would you spend that much of your life walking?

18. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

For those of you who can't walk outside, I would highly recommend Leslie Sansone's indoor walking tapes or dvd's. She has the Walk Away the Pounds series, she has a christian based series and some other series as well. Check out her website.

I love her workouts and those are what got me into exercise. I'm only 26, but I have never exercised at all in my life and these were perfect for getting started because there arent any difficult moves to learn and you can go at your own pace, plus she is very encouraging.

My sister (who does not have our illness, but needed to start exercising to lose weight) dropped 40 pounds with Leslie's workouts. She offers 1, 2, 3 or 4 mile versions, etc.

Okay, I'm stepping off my soapbox now.
  19. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I have an Inversion Table and that helps my back! I don't go all the way upside down but just about 3/4 of the way down and spend about 1/2 hr. on it. I started out at just a few minutes and then increased the time alittle.
    Shirley
  20. fivesue

fivesue New Member

These tapes are great. The moves are not complicated and it is a good workout. You can just stay home and get a good walk. I think it would help almost anyone who can do the walking.

That's what I do mostly. It is easy, I don't have to go anywhere, I don't have to dress up, etc. My cat looks at me like, "Oh, we're going to play now!"

My husband is going to look into a gym when he gets back from Santa Barbara. I don'tknow if I'll like it, but I'll give it a try. We'll see. It can't be too strenuous for me.

So, check out Renae's post. She's right on.

Sue