How do they diagnose polymyalgia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by roseylisa, Dec 31, 2005.

1. roseylisa

roseylisa New Member

Wondering because I've had high sed rates and told probably osteoarthritis but I have no joint deform or nodules.. also have had one ana positive and a low rhumotoid 18 but has been negative on those test since except sed rates anybody else???
  2. Scarlett65

Scarlett65 New Member

I would like to know also. My sed rate is always high and have osteoarthrits with osteoporosis, joint deform and nodules, positive ana since 1985, diagnosed with lupus and fibro and a host of other medical issues.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's been as low as 1! This is an indication, though not definitive, of hypercoagulation. Following Heparin injections, it raised to a 5.

Love, Mikie
  4. CarolK

CarolK New Member

Hi Rose... I had Polymyalgia for a little over a year. It is usually diagnosed with a blood test.. "elevated sed rate"... I believe it has to be over 30. The sed rate in combination with the physical symptoms... ie, fevers, headaches, constant flu-like feeling and a feeling of jelling in all your joints to the point where it is very difficult to move.

Do a google search on Polymyalgia Rheumatica for further symptoms and diagnostic tests. Also, after using Prednisone for over a year I was finally able to get my sed rate back down to normal... which if I remember correctly should be below 20-ish.

CarolK
  5. CarolK

CarolK New Member