How do they test for Lyme Dieaese?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carlacat, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I was tested I was told thru bloodwork but the neuro at WVU told me the only way they can get an acruate testing is to do the bloodwork and a lumbra puncture and test at the same time...Anyone else hear of this? I tested neg thru the bloodwork.
    Carlacat
  2. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I was tested I was told thru bloodwork but the neuro at WVU told me the only way they can get an acruate testing is to do the bloodwork and a lumbra puncture and test at the same time...Anyone else hear of this? I tested neg thru the bloodwork.
    Carlacat
  3. sofy

sofy New Member

Blood work is the first route. They do a simple positive test and if warranted will follow it up with a more thorough western blot blood test. It cost much more so they wait. If you are having a lot of symptoms (especially neuro) they will do a lumbar puncture to see if it is in the spinal fluid. That is the only way to know for sure so yes your neuro is correct. A positive western blot test should be able to tell them if the infection is recent or been hanging around a long time. I've had the puncture and it was no big deal. Did have a pain in my leg for a couple weeks after but it went away. I now know for sure that the root cause of my mental decline is not ms or lyme. No positive help but at least a couple more things are off the need to check list. I had the puncture done in a hospital by a radiologist who had all the toys to make a good insertion. If the md does it in his office he is going by touch and feel so you want to ask about his experience. I'm sure cost is a factor. good luck
  4. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

Anti-nuclear AB negative 1:40
    Aldolase 3.7 reference range:1.5 to 8.1
    Lyme Disease-serum .36 Reference range 0.00 to 1.20
    Reference:
    Less than 1.00 Liv......Negative: Antibody to Borrelia burgdorferi not detected
    1.00-1.20 Liv......Equivocal: Repeat testing in 10-14 days
    1.20 Liv.....Postive

Crrent CDC recommendations for theserologic diagnosis of Lyme disease are to screen with a polyvalent Elisa test and confirm equivocal and postive with western blot.Both IgM and IgG Western blots should be performed on samples less than 4 wks after appreence of erythema migrans. Only IgG western blot should be performed on samples greater than 4 wks after DD onset. IgM Western blot in the chronic stage is not recommended and does not aid in the diagnosis of neuroborreliosis or chronic lyme Disease. Please submit requests for appropriate Western Blot testing within 10 days.

Now can anyone make anything out of that? Does that mean I didnt have the western blot done?
    Carlacat
  5. sofy

sofy New Member

Its all way beyond my pea brain. It sound like just a simple positive negative test. Usually the western blot is sent out to Quest. Why not just call the dear dr. and ask. Tell him you want to do the easy stuff before having your spine poked. I only did the lumbar after everything else. When I had the lumbar he also took more blood and sent it to quest for a second western blot just to double check. good luck