How do u shave your legs, do your toes, etc. with pain/stiffness?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RedHeadEMT, Dec 18, 2006.

1. RedHeadEMT

RedHeadEMT New Member

hehe...this is kind of a funny question, but I have been having a hard time with some things lately, especially since my car accident/back problems, and I thought that this would be a cool thread where we could share tips on grooming!

I have the hardest time doing my toes and shaving my legs. It takes me FOREVER and when I am done, I am sweating and in 10X worse pain. My husband has offered to shave my legs, but I dunno...that's not cute! lol

And when I have money, I usually would go get a pedicure, but with being on worker's comp right now and all...I gotta do it myself.

Does anyone else have a tough time with grooming and things of this nature? Do you have tips of how to make it easier, for the rest of us?

xoxo

K
  2. connieaag

connieaag New Member

My mother has the same problem trimming her toe nails. She goes to the podietrist every six weeks or so and the nurse trims them. Her insurance covers it. Now, shaving her legs -- they don't do that! Maybe Nair???
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I actually use a hair removal lotion for my legs and my underarms and wash it off in the shower.

I'm pretty lucky as my husband will polish my toes for me...even get a foot rub some times. He's a real sweetie!

All the best,

Eileen

4. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i found that shaving sitting on the side of the bathtub works the best i shave the top half in the shower and sometimes it takes two day to shave the lower charlene
  5. glafdy

glafdy New Member

I always take a nice hot shower first to loosen me up and to soften those hairy legs. After the shower I put my towel on the edge of the tub, try to lift my foot onto the other side of the tub and shave the legs. If you don't have shaving cream, hair conditioner works great (a hint given to me by a hairdresser).

The shower will also soften your toenails so that is also the best time to try to cut your nails. So on a different day I will try the same approach as with shaving legs, but cut the old thick toenails instead.

Hope this helps.

Glady
  6. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

Nair is a Godsend!! No more razors for me.

I use the roll on Nair and about 5 minutes later, step into the shower and wash it off. I do it once a week.

As for the toes, my husband will trim them for me, then my 8 yr old daughter files them smooth and polishes them for me.... she even puts on lotion and gives me a bit of a massage..... she loves to do it, and I really appreciate it.
  7. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Shave... what is that???

LOL... sometimes I feel that way though.

I have a seat in my little shower and bend over and do it that way. I do wait until my muscles loosen up in the hot water. I hate it, when I bend down and then sit back up - I get soooo dizzy. Lots of work being a girl :)

I will try that Nair.. I wondered if it really worked.

Hugs
    Kim
  8. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Sit in a bathtub full of hot water. Keep a plastic tumbler glass by the tub. Scoop up the water and pour it over your shoulders, back, etc. Sitting in the hot water will help loosen up your muscles.

Soap up your legs and shave them while sitting in the water at the end of your bathtime.

I had a skin reaction to hair removal creams. if you decide to go that route, please start off with just a small test area. Wait a week before proceeding to do the entire area to make sure you aren't going to have a delayed reaction. I wish someone had told me this.

I don't paint my toenails, so I can't help you with that one.[This Message was Edited on 12/19/2006]
  9. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

I bought a mens electric shaver and I use that most of the time in shorts on the living room floor while watching tv on really good days I shave in the shower and when I have to have my legs show.

It takes me forever have to shave and rest so my family just gets used to me shaving in the living room other wise I tell them ok I won't shave and I will wear shorts when all your friends come over hehehe!!!!

AS for toes my daughter loves feet so she does all that for me. lotion message trim and paint love her I told her when she moves out she will have to still do it once a week she said no problem because she loves feet.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/19/2006]
  10. puffy1

puffy1 New Member

I don't shave everyday I do the bare minimum and I shave even less in the winter time.

I don't do my toe nails never have.

but the shaving I do on a as need basis only and that is even very minimal I probably miss a lot of places.
  11. RedHeadEMT

RedHeadEMT New Member

Thanks, ladies, for all the great suggestions! I will definitely try the Nair thing! Definitely! I have done it once or twice and liked it; I dunno why I hadn't done it again since then.

I need a pre-adolescent teenage daughter to do MY toes! hehe For now, the Korean down the street will have to do.

Take care, all!!

K