How do we get CFS and what causes it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Criket, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Criket

Criket New Member

I have done research on this but I don't have a doctor that I can go to and discuss this with. My mother has CFS and FM and my husband has CFS although his doesn't affect him as much as mine does me. Has anyone done enough research on this or has a doctor to talk to that knows how we get and what causes CFS? Ours seemed to have started with a case of mononucliosis. My husband had it first when we were dating and had to be hospitalized because his temp wouldn't come down from 104 degrees. He was in there for almost a month! I don't know the first time I had mono for sure. I have had it more than once even though Drs. say you can't have it more than once. We were tested with the EBV test. Anybody got a clue?
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The EBV is in the Herpes family of viruses. After the initial infection, the virus can go dormant and then be reawakened when the immune system is compromised. There are people with chronic EBV. Your doc is wrong, but that's what docs used to think before more was discovered about stealth and dormant viruses.

My best guess is that we are predisposed genetically to our illnesses. Any event which stresses the immune system can trigger our illnesses. We sometimes recover pretty much from one or even two events, but multiple events may make us chronically very ill. I also believe a lot depends on what kinds of events stress the system. Stealth infections will continue to make us sick until they are dealt with.

Love, Mikie