How do we know it's Brain fog and not Alzimers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nana61, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Nana61

Nana61 New Member

I was reading one of the other posts and this was the subject. How do we really know the difference? Whose to say that some of us don't really have Alzimers (spelling). What do you think, how can we know.

God bless, Nana/Jan
  2. MJJBunny

MJJBunny New Member

My father had alzheimer's so I know that what I have is different. I worried in the beginning too. But I've had CFIDS for 15 years and although the symptoms have changed, the brain fog hasn't gotten worse.

I saw Dr. Cheney a few years ago and he said that because of the length of time I've had CFIDS, I won't be getting any worse.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You have brain fog. If you find your car keys and don't know what they are for, you have Alzheimers.

Now, it's not that cut and dried, but that gives you some idea of the basic difference.

Those of us with fog or cognitive problems have memory problems, problems concentrating, and sometimes a feeling that we are fuzzy, but not problems with what things are for.

BTW, a woman who once came here with CFIDS but got well said that when she recovered, her cognitive problems were gone and she regained some memories which she though were gone forever.

I have both FMS and CFIDS and to me there is a definite difference between Fibro Fog and cognitive problems. When I started taking Guai, the Fibro Fog which kept me feeling fuzzy and dizzy, almost immediately cleared up. My FMS is probably about 80 percent reversed; however, I am still treating my CFIDS. I suffer from fatigue and cognitive problems. I have trouble concentrating and with memory. I am hoping as I get better that these problems will diminish.

Love, Mikie
  4. Patti2

Patti2 New Member

I also thought I had altimzers, my mom has it and it progressing really rapidly. So I knew that is what I had. The Dr never bothered to tell me about fibro fog. Mine comes and goes... it left for a while I am sure it will come back once again!
    Good Luck, /Write notes to keep track of what is going on!
    LOL
    Patti
  5. EZBRUZR

EZBRUZR New Member

Hello, I to wonder that often. Wondering,being AWARE, of the forgetfulness is GREAT sign you R OK! Alzheimer's suffers are generally not *aware* of the memory/time loss. We just don't know why we are places or what we want to say! LOL :} Hope my input can put your mind to rest. Peace,Lisa
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

My mother-in-law has Alzheimers, and she has NO idea that anything is wrong with her, and becomes indignant when anyone says there is. I asked my doctor and he said that is the difference between an annoying memory problem and a really serious one....if you have a serious memory problem, you don't know you have it.
    Klutzo
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Most of the FM fog has gone, except for an hour or more in the morning. A strong cup of coffee does help, but since I was very addictive to caffeine I never drink more than two cups, I try to keep it to one as I simply love coffee and it would be like trying to smoke now and then when you have finally quit for me.

Like Mikie said, forgetting where the keys are is one thing, forgetting what they are for is quite another. I forget peoples names, but not who the people are, same with five dogs here, I know who is who, but I will call them by the others' names at times.

My ability to read and retain what I have read now is getting close to normal again too.

Since I have been taking magnesium and drinking water all this has improved tremendously in the last year and a half.

I have never thought I had Alzheimers. I was under the impression that Alzheimers was hereditary? Am I wrong?

We have had people in my family that lived to their late nineties, their minds were as clean as a bell, they could tell you stories from when they were children, and also tell you what they eat the day before. Could be why I never gave it a thought.

Anyway, we have enought going for us without looking for more trouble!

Shalom,Shirl
  8. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I never considered the Fibro Fog as an indicator of possible Alzhiemer's, as I have had it so long. However, when I started searching for words and forgetting what I was saying in the middle of a sentence or saying the wrong word (even though I thought I said the right one), then I became very concerned because that's what happened to my mother. Alz's is hereditary in my family (but no, it doesn't have to be) It wasn't until I got on this board and looked up some of the more recent reseach on FM that I learned that these are FM symptoms. Mom had FM too, so maybe it was the same for her. She eventually could not talk hardly at all.

I still feel that I am next in line for Alz's but at least I know I don't have "early onset" right now. It's been a great relief.

JoAnn
  9. Nana61

Nana61 New Member

I am very aware that I can't find words I want to use and I have forgotten where I put my car keys many times. When I eventually find them I do know what they are for. LOL Now that you have set me straight, I feel much more at ease.

When I have brain fog really bad, it feels like every thing is going on around me and I'm on the inside looking out...don't feel a part of their world. I soon get better and remember how it was and it's kind of scary. you all have put my mind at ease. Thank you so very much.
    God bless and hope you all have a pain free day!
    Nana/Jan
  10. Lena

Lena New Member

Thank you for the information on the foggy mind I am having. I also have numbness in my fingers and toes. Do you know anything about that? Thanks and God Bless