How do you Afford it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shananegans, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

There are so many things everyone has suggested on here that I would love to try but... no money. I have insurance still (thank god!) but I can't afford the co-pays for all this stuff. I'm not working and am fighting for disability but in the mean time... no money. I have been out of work since February 2004 and to be honest don't know how I've made it this far. Family can't help anymore either... no better off than I am.

Also all of the "natural" non doctor related stuff... No extra cash past food and shelter. Is there something I'm missing? What do you do to get by? I know many of us aren't working and are in the same boat that I'm in, so how do you do it? I would love any suggestions. I have been trying to find online income but with everything I've found you have to have something to invest first and I just don't.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. I am at the end of my rope and drowning. I have considered trying work again but feel like I shouldn't have to live in torture. I know what will happen and I will just get sicker (if that's possible). Not too mention that not too many employers are going to want me since I won't be there most of the time (I have a hard enough time making toast to eat). Oh yeah, I'm in my second denial stage for disability for those who may be curious.

Thank you in advance,
    Shananegans
  2. abbylee

abbylee New Member

What do you need? If you take a drug made my Merck, they will - based on your income - pay for the cost of the drug.

Please read my post about folks needing a sleep study. It is paid for, too, if you have no income. And finally, call 1-800-4PPA NOW. These folks, too, pay for the drugs for folks who can't pay.

If you have trouble getting in touch with them, please let me know and I'll help you get set up.

abbylee
    [This Message was Edited on 09/30/2005]
  3. rbecca47

rbecca47 New Member

i know it is so hard,to go from having a decent income to know at all. i have been out of work since nov,2003. for other med problems. and stupid me didn't apply for ssd until last year when i found out about fm,and cfs.and ofcourse comes the depression. i was denied the first time out for ssd,and ssi, but filed an appeal, and have been aproved. if it wasn't for my oldest son. and my youngest son. i would be homeless. but they both moved back home to help. and it really has helped all of us. i also have a daughter, but i am raising her two daughters. So hang in there, i am not saying you will get rich, but once you are approved.it will help alot. I haven't recieved my first payment yet but my sons say now then can get on with lifes. joking all the way. hang in there and keep your hopes up,
    becca
  4. barbara60

barbara60 New Member

Shananegans,
    Have you check with the drug companies? Some of them will send you the prescription medicine free. You might find the site on the computer and can download the papers you have to fill out to qualify. You are not elibible if you have prescription insurance. When my husband was out of work, I used these programs. Nearly every medicine I had to take was sent to my doctor free, not all drug companies have these programs, but most of them do. Stange government we have; the less you have the more you can get free. The person who wants to work and take care of themselves are sometimes penalized for this. I am sorry I have not even thought how much we pay in co-payments. I am just so happy to get most of the prescribed drug paid for. Good luck!! God bless!! Barbara60
  5. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

and get a cheap $300 one.The money saved on cAR paymaents went to meds.Just keep on plugging-you'll make it
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

The only thing I can think of is to forget about all the supplements, and concentrate on eating healthy and applying for all of the free or reduced drug programs that are available. I think some info was provided in a reply--but find out who manufacturers all of your meds (call your pharmacist, or look on the web), then check the web and your pharmacy, or doc, to see if they have any free med programs available.

Your bio didn't mention if you are marriedd, but if you are not, I don't want to be a bearer of bad news, but even if you get your SSDI, you will still be basically living in poverty!! It does not pay well!!

I am fortunate that I get a company pension w/medical and dental benefits (that I pay for), as well as my SSDI. Also, my husband is still working full time.

Good luck on your second SSDI appeal,
    Janet
  7. puppyfreak

puppyfreak New Member

It's there if you know where to look and if you qualify.
    You can try to get food stamps [based on your shelter and utility costs].
    Call the county for energy and utility assistance.
    Another source for meds - FreeMedicine.com. You pay $5 for each med [with the prescription]. I got an application but haven't used them yet since I'm considering either the AARP plan or the Medicare drug card.
    DSHS will also have a list of the emergency services in your area - places like Volunteers of America and the YWCA that might help with food/shelter/utility costs or even gas to get to Dr.'s appointments.
    And you can consider doing what I'm doing [and what has paid for my food and meds in the past - sell on eBay. It's easy and while not a 'get-rich-quick' panacea, can help you through the end of the month.

Char
  8. mars_xmu

mars_xmu New Member

My nutritionalist recommends oxy-powder comes in tablet form. Type in oxy-powder testimonials on www and you'll come up woth loads of stuff. It's cheap and lays the foundation for better health. Also cheap to do is to alter diet to blood group diet, and also look into food combining.
  9. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

I've also worked since I was 15, and I haven't for the last few years, but I do have my own business, and I thank God several times every day that it generates an income.

Shananegans, there is something that I figured out long ago, and that is that I'm probably not really cut out to be gainfully employed long term. :) That's not to say that I haven't worked astonishingly long, arduous days and nights for years at a time, but mostly for myself since I was 21 years old unless I was helping a friend or it was something short term, six months or so.

It is tricky to get going, but the posts suggesting things where you are able to be self-employed are a fabulous idea, be it proof-reading, writing, selling a product...your opportunities are as limitless as is your imagination. It doesn't really take money to get going, just a little creativity. These ideas are perfect for someone that needs to work when the sprit and their bodies move them.

Best of luck to you!!

Bebe

10. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will definitely look into the online job possibilites.

Unfortunately and fortunately I do have private insurance... which the county is paying my cobra for so I am not eligible for any of the free prescription opportunities.

I am already on welfare but $360.00 a month doesn't pay the bills... at all so I don't have much of a choice at this point but to try to find online work. I recently saw another post on that topic and have been checking it out... I would mention what it is but I can't remember right now. And my food money comes from the county as well so I can't buy supplements with it because they don't look at it like food... When I do get disability it will be enough for me to live on... Not the high life but at least enough to get the treatment I need.

I am a 25 year old single woman with no children so nobody really wants to help me... despite the fact that I am indeed sick. I've tried all of the sources mentioned and I do appreciate the suggestions but it's a no go for me. I also come from a "not well off" family so they can't help either as much as they would like too... and I can't go back to school because I can't concentrate... so no more school money for me. But the work at home jobs could be an option so I'm hoping to find one I don't have to invest in.

Again, thank you all.

hugs,
    Shananegans
  11. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

that our government has billions for foreign aid while our people go without.

What is your living situation? Can you get a roommate to share the rent? Can you get food stamps? An old fellow I play bridge w/ gets Soc. Sec., food stamps and some coupons he can use w/ a taxi company. He has a big old aparmtment (rent-controlled) and takes in 2 roomers.

The last few years I've been buying clothes at thrift shops. Doesn't matter much what I wear now that I don't work. Also a good place to buy paperback books altho nowdays I mostly use the library. (A 3-day late fee is more than the cost of a thrift shop paperback.)

Cereal is inexpensive at some stores like Trader Joe's here in Calif. $2.00 instead of $4-$5 at the supermarket.
    And some small grocery stores have inexpensive produce that is fine even if it's not as perfect as the supermarket stuff that looks like it belongs in a still life.

Good luck.
  12. orachel

orachel New Member

Did you see the disabled work from home post here yesterday? Check it out. I know of many of the members who posted that it was kosher and looked promising, and is out of your home, at your schedule.

Just a possibility...one I'm looking into also!

Wishing you luck (and some dollars! LOL),
    Rachel
  13. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I'm with you on that one. Makes me furious too!

I do have roommates, 3 of them actually. That's the only way I can attempt to afford rent. The problem occurs with all of the stuff above and beyond rent. Once I pay rent, I can't afford utilities... etc. I am on welfare and food stamps so at least I'm not starving... But it would still be nice to by soap when I need it. It's unbelievable what little the states are willing to give for people to live on. I could see if I was just a bum that didn't want to work... But I want to work, I just can't. And part of me feels like if I had the money for the right treatments I would be fine... But they don't care.

I wish disability would take my past work record into consideration... There isn't one period of time for the last 10 years that I haven't worked so you'd think it would be obvious that I need help, not a hand out. Grrr!!! Well I'm going to stop ranting now. But thank you for your post!

Shananegans