HOW DO YOU ALL THAT WORK DO IT

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by babygirl44, Jun 21, 2006.

1. babygirl44

babygirl44 New Member

there is no way i could go on a job 3 hrs less in on 8 oh i wished i could i wouldn't be about to lose every thing.

those who can't work do you know what i mean goodness it hurts lik%&^%there is no way i can't even do my stuff around my house anymore.
  2. fabricaholic

fabricaholic New Member

I don't know quite how to answer this without maybe making it sound easier than it really is.

I have worked for the past 5 years in the medical field and have seen my own abilities and energy go down the drain where I was able to work a 10 hour day in the beginning without breaking a sweat now I can bearly make it through the first hour of an 8 hour day. I have also seen myself go from being able to work in my garden for most of the day to not being able to pull weeds for 5 minutes.

As you know we all have our good days and our bad so I save the hard work for the good and the easy for the bad. I also have wonderful coworkers who will help when things get tough. But mostly I look at the people who have come into my life who have had things like cancer and fibro as well as cfs and tell myself if they can do it so can I.

I have been known to push myself to the limit though (as I am told I often do by my hubby) and I dont get the rest that is so very much needed with our illness.

all I guess I'm trying to say is "one day at a time my friend one day at a time"

I hope I have given you a little encouragement......
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

The last couple years I could only manage about 2 hrs a day and sometimes not even that.

(BTW, did you know this message is posted 4x?)
  4. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Some days are ok. Some days I wish I was dead.

I get 3 weeks of vacation a year. I have used nearly two halfway through this year because of illness and doctor appointments.

We need two incomes to pay the mortgage and for the addition for my mom who is coming to live with us.

I try to take it a day at a time as well. I am fortunate in that my job will allow me to work at home for some hours if I need to.

Hugs, Madame Curie
  5. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I am finding it harder and harder to put in 8 hours. I only work part-time (3 days of week), but it is getting to the point that the 8 hour days are killing me! I am in the health-care field also, and on my feet for most of the day, and my feet hurt SO BAD by the end of the day, I can hardly make it to my car!

I have to put in 2 more years and then I will be 55 and I can retire, but my pension will be miniscule. But, I don't see any other alternative as I just don't think I can make it past that. Maybe after I retire, I can pick up a job that is only 4 hours a day and maybe that would work for me.

I have had to let a lot of stuff go in the house because I have to rest on my off days so I can make it to work. So far I have not had to take too many sick days, but I can feel it getting to that point. I have only had this for 3 years! I can't imagine what it must be like for people who got this younger than me! (I am 52).

It sounds like you don't have your pain under control. Have you tried some pain meds? I take tramadol and neurontin and although it doesn't take all the pain away, it takes enough so that I can function.

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you. I just try to make it one day at a time.

Take care, Sally
  6. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

My sweet husband does most of the housework, because he wants me to continue working. He gets really quite every time I mention quitting or cutting back on my hours.

I did finally cut back to 4 days a week but still do grocery shopping and cooking when I get off work. My job doesn't require physical activity, but mentally it's really stressful.

Right now I have a splitting headache, so gotta go. Without him doing the yard and the house chores I would be a pitiful mess.
  7. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I am single and while I have a little nest egg, I feel like there is no other choice for me - between needing the insurance and salary I make myself get in to the office. I am sick a lot but I reserve sick days for being really really sick. I am fortunate to have a job that I can veg out when I am feeling really bad.

The other things that keep me going - drugs = prescription meds. I keep a rigid sleeping schedule during the week - I have to be in at 6:30 a.m. so I make sure I go to sleep at the same time every night. On Saturdays and Sundays, I allow myself to sleep in and wake up when I wake up. I lose a lot of Saturdays but this gives me the energy to keep working.

I let my apartment get dirty/messy but keep the bath and kitchen clean with clorox wipes everyday. So while I don't really want any one to see my house - I think that letting it go is the lesser of two evils - my health/sanity v a perfectly clean house.

8. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

Some people just can't do it. I felt really worthless when I found I could no longer work. I think it's just like any other disabling disease - some people can manage it and some can't. There are all sorts of levels of this disease and you really can't compare yourself to anyone else. It wouldn't matter if they offered me $100 an hour and I got to work with the cutest man on earth - it's just not a possibility. I hope one day that changes.
  9. fahan

fahan New Member

I've wondered that also and asked a nurse @ the dr.'s office where I go the ssame thing.

It is very impossible for me also. I watch what I eat, drink, walk, do what I can to get myself going, to

get things done around the house and it's just not possible for me either.

no energy and too weak, even if not in bad pain.

I believe we are in this dis-ease at differant degrees as all humans are with whatever they have to deal with.

I know also that i do have to get rest during the day just to be able to fix supper. That's life for me and I

really feel for you too. I hope you have a wonderful hubby as I do. Good luck fahan
  10. kriket

kriket New Member

GOOD QUESTION!!!! I usually work 1 day a week and it throws me into a bad flare for about 2-3 days usually. Wish I did not have to exert so much energy at one time. I push and push and push myself way to hard. You would not think that 1 day would be so bad, but it turns into a 3-4 day a week job just dealing with the after flare.

Kriket
  11. AngelWife26

AngelWife26 New Member

I have been on a job assignment (I work for a temp agency) since last October. This assignment is at a hospital and does require quite a bit of physical exertion (x-ray film jackets for some patients can be about 10lbs.) with all the filing that I do.
    They are very flexible with me and have been very understanding about 'bad days'. I work part-time. I work on Mon & Tues and then have Wed off. Then I work Thurs, Fri, & Sat and have Mon off. I've recently switched to the Wed off and have noticed that it has helped a lot in being able to get through my work days. A day in the middle is a very helpful rest period. I also go in early enough that I take a nap in the middle of the afternoon every day just to get through the rest of the day. I need this very much since half the time I am getting to play the part of single mom. My husband is away a lot and that won't change because the military isn't very flexible....LOL. The full-time kids (we also have two other from previous marriages in the summer) are almost 9 and 12 and help me out a lot. With summer here it's much easier. I can get up and leave them sleeping in bed. I call around 9am to wake them up. They eat breakfast, get dressed and clean the house (dishes, dust, sweep and vacuum). Of course, they have to clean their rooms too....hehehehe.
    It's always a day by day life and I just try to keep on keeping on.

Nadine
    (I'm new to the boards)
  12. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

but it requires a lot of coffee and slow moving on my part. I usually am in the office by 7:30 a.m. and have a desk job so I am not doing anything overly physical. I will take off time if I am in a flare and stay in bed. I work for my husband and one other man (the other man is not so happy when I am off). I don't worry about my job security since this is our family business. I will have really bad days where I am pretty much useless at the job except for answering the phones. I do get a trigger point massage every week and that seems to help me mentally and physically.

TxSongBird
  13. Imfinetoo

Imfinetoo New Member

I had worked as a secretary for many, many years and not only was it my career but my social life. In 2000, I knew I just could not go on any longer and thankfully, I had an understanding husband. My husband does all the grocery shopping, yard work, and helps with the house. Without him I don't know what I would do. I feel so guilty because I am not able to do the things I used to do and at times feel very sorry for myself. But I have learned if I do those things, I will pay for it. I was diagnosed with FM in 1984, and have been on disability since 2002. It's not much, but it does help.

I, too, don't know how anyone can work with this horrible pain. We need to learn that it's ok if we aren't able to do these things, and stop stressing over it! Easier said than done.
  14. maggie_d

maggie_d New Member

This is my constant struggle, as I need to work right now. I am looking forward to the day when I can go part-time - hopefully in a year or so or win the lottery, haha. I am fortunate to have supportive co-workers and can rest at home on my lunch hour.

It is fitting in all the other things like exercise, housework, shopping, etc...that I wish I had a couple of extra hours daily to take my time with and not be crawling into bed totally wiped out and aching. As another poster stated "One Day at a Time"

Take care,
    Maggie
  15. babygirl44

babygirl44 New Member

THANKS
    for your replys and yes it is hard and my hate is off to those of you who are still out there.

I wont to be but i can't, i can't even work around the house and it's taken a toll on my husband and our finaces are drained.
    But i don't know what to do.
    So i really don't know what to do.
  16. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I just have no choice. DH retired after 30 years as a carpenter and his back is so bad that he just can't work now. He has to use a sock-puller-oner to get his socks on in the morning.

If we had to use his Union retirement insurance it would cost us over $1000 a month. I have to work, full time, to provide our medical and dental insurance. It takes almost $500 out of my checks, but that is better than the Union one and of course we have my income.

I am fortunate in that we have no mortgage payment, only one car payment (3 vehicles) of $300/mo, and no credit card debt. Since selling out other house an moving into an older one we have been able to use the profit to invest $50,000 in mutual funds (I work for a broker so am doing research all the time which also helped with our investments).

However, if I lost my job today, we could actually get by on what my DH has for retirement and the income of the investments. It would be tight and I would probably sell my car, but we could make it work.

So I consider myself blessed. I do have a stressful fast paced job, but being nearly debt free takes a lot of the stress out of my life.

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  17. jerzygal

jerzygal New Member

I had to give up driving because my arms hurt so bad steering was impossible. I had been selling things on Ebay and up until a few months ago, not doing so bad but with the activation of so many symptoms at one time, just the idea of all the work involved with listing, packing boxes and keeping track of inventory caused me to quit.
    It's depressing and often I move from being so darn mad to tears.
    Sometimes it seems the circle of things I was able to do gets smaller and smaller.
    Jerzygal...