How do you clean your dishwasher... tips needed

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kimba4318, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

HI friends...
    My dishes are coming out with grainy looking dirt on them. I have wiped the dishwasher down alot. Not sure how to dissolve whatever this may be. It almost looks like sand.

I thought I heard a while back.. something about putting vinegar or something in the dispenser... Not sure.

Any tips on getting the inside of it clean???

Flaring now and no energy, but I cannot stand this, I am always rewashing by hand.. sort of defeats the purpose.

HUgs
    Kim
  2. TKE

TKE New Member

Are you on well water or city water?

If well water then it sounds like you have sediment coming thru. Well water can change at any time. We had a "cave in" 2 years after drilling our well. Had to run it off for 2 days straight to get it to clear. You can add a whole house sediment filter to your incoming water line to filter out small debris. Use the filters that trap the 5 micron particles so you get as much out as possible before the tap/faucet. We have one & only need to change the filter every 6 months. A sediment filter is not expensive. Think we paid around $60.00 for ours. The filters are only about $3.00 a piece. Both can be purchased at Lowe's, Home Depot & possibly Wal-Mart.

If you're on city water then draw some water, in a clear or white/milk colored glass, from another tap & let it sit to see if there's any sediment. If so call your water company. Save the water you drew so you can show them.

3. abcanada

abcanada New Member

Make sure you look in the vent as mine was quite disgusting & was causing food particles to stick to the dishes. Also any where at bottom that could trap goodies. Sometimes homes with old pipes will produces corosion & particle come out as well. Maybe try running it a time or two empty, after you've checked these areas. I hope that helps. Laura
  4. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

I just saw on t.v. that if you put lemon kool-aid in your dishwasher it will clean it,I'm going to try it this week-end. just empty your dishwasher and give it a try . sixtyslady. simple run it thru a cycle and let it do the work.
  5. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

thank you all... very good tips.. i will try them.

Our house is 4 years old, but we are on well, so very possibly could be from that. I am thinking more of the filter thing as you all mentioned.

Thanks Again!
    Kim
  6. joyfully

joyfully New Member

If you use filter, then it has to be before the water is heated. I'm not sure you could just install the filter under the kitchen sink on the hot water side.

If you are getting grainy looking dirt, then you should be getting the same grainy looking dirt from the hot water side of your kitchen faucet too.

Close the drain on your kitchen sink (so nothing falls into drain). Unscrew the aerator on the kitchen sink faucet. Run the hot water about 1 minute and then fill a clear glass with straight hot water from the kitchen sink.

If that doesn't have the same grainy looking dirt in it, then I don't think that the filter will solve your problem

Yes, there are "dishwasher cleaners" in the same aisle as the dishwasher soap.

I'm suggesting that you first try using about 3/4 cup of bleach in the dishwasher. I'd add the bleach into a EMPTY dishwasher AFTER the initial rinse cycle. That way, the water will be hot and it will run for a long cleaning cycle.

Let the dishwasher go through the entire normal cycle. This will rinse any bleach out after it has run.

I'd also look at the arms in the dishwasher that squirt the water. Look specifically where the little holes are located to see if any of them are clogged. If you really have a bad sediment problem, I would think that there could be a fair chance that some of them would be clogged.

I just thought of something else that I'd try. I'd DELIBERATELY set a bowl upright in your dishwasher when it is going through the wash cycle. Then, you will be able to see what sediment is at the bottom of the bowl after a wash cycle.

You could even go so far as to collect some of this. I'd try putting some of it in vinegar and see if it fizzles.

If it does, then I'd run a cup of vinegar through the dishwasher to dissolve lime scale.

Another thing that I think may help is a water softener.

Oh, and there is a product called Cascade Complete. They advertise that you don't have to prerinse. Although I don't advocate not cleaning off dishes ahead of time, there must be some additional chemical in this particular dishwashing detergent to help clean dishes.

I can't think of any other suggestions at this time.

7. joyfully

joyfully New Member

If you use filter, then it has to be before the water is heated. I'm not sure you could just install the filter under the kitchen sink on the hot water side.

If you are getting grainy looking dirt, then you should be getting the same grainy looking dirt from the hot water side of your kitchen faucet too.

You can purchase water lines that are covered in woven stainless steel on the outside now. These are newer and safer (less chance of breakage and flooding). I don't think the water line between the sink and the dishwasher is causing the problem though unless it is made of some unusual material.

Close the drain on your kitchen sink (so nothing falls into drain). Unscrew the aerator on the kitchen sink faucet. Run the hot water about 1 minute and then fill a clear glass with straight hot water from the kitchen sink.

Also, look at the inside of the aerator screen. Is it full of the same grainy looking dirt particles?

If that doesn't have the same grainy looking dirt in it, then I don't think that the filter will solve your problem

Yes, there are "dishwasher cleaners" in the same aisle as the dishwasher soap. You can try one of them, I could never see that much difference after using one.

I'm suggesting that you first try using about 3/4 cup of bleach in the dishwasher. I'd add the bleach into a EMPTY dishwasher AFTER the initial rinse cycle. The dishwasher will fill with hot water immediately afterwards. DO NOT ADD YOUR NORMAL DISHWASHING DETERGENT WHEN YOU DO THIS. The water will be hot when it combines with the bleach, and it will run for a long cleaning cycle. Don't open the dishwasher while this is running with the bleach. I don't want you to take any chances of you getting this on your clothes or your eyes. Just let it run through the rest of the normal cycle.

Let the dishwasher go through the entire normal cycle. This will rinse any bleach out after it has run.

I'd also look at the arms in the dishwasher that squirt the water. Look specifically where the little holes are located to see if any of them are clogged. If you really have a bad sediment problem, I would think that there could be a fair chance that some of them would be clogged.

I just thought of something else that I'd try. I'd DELIBERATELY set a bowl upright in your dishwasher when it is going through the wash cycle. Then, you will be able to see what sediment is at the bottom of the bowl after a wash cycle.

You could even go so far as to collect some of this. I'd try putting some of it in vinegar and see if it fizzles.

If it does, then I'd run a cup of vinegar through the dishwasher to dissolve lime scale.

Another thing that I think may help is a water softener.

Oh, and there is a product called Cascade Complete. They advertise that you don't have to prerinse. Although I don't advocate not cleaning off dishes ahead of time, there must be some additional chemical in this particular dishwashing detergent to help clean dishes.

I can't think of any other suggestions at this time.

[This Message was Edited on 01/19/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/19/2007]
  8. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

wow good ideas. I have had a bowl be the wrong way last time nad it was filled with sediment... so I will try you vinegar trick. Neat idea.

That sucker outta be workign great soon... thanks to the great tips.

Thanks a Bunch!
    Kim
  9. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

Try putting 1/2 cup of CLR into the dishwasher and running it through. It does wonders. A tech told me this and it worked great, as I was getting a gray/white sediment from calcium in the water.
  10. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Yep, I couldn't think of the name CLR; another fibro fog moment. I've even squirted this stuff full strength into my mom's dishwasher where she had rust lines from her well water's high iron content. Again, just run the complete "normal" cycle and all chemicals will be washed away.
  11. TKE

TKE New Member

.....If you have any "iron" in your well water it is suggested you do NOT use bleach, as it can make it allot worse. Everything may turn a nice shade of orange. CLR is best for removing lime & other minerals that have collected. They also have a product called "Iron Out", but use it with caution, as it also strips any color too. Most of these products require good ventilation when using.

If you have particals coming thru the hot water side then you might consider flushing your hot water tank too. We do ours every couple years. You'd be surprised how much gunk is laying in the bottom of hot water tanks!

Any filters added to you system should be right after the holding tank & before the hot water tank.

Our system is set up like this, because we have lime (causes hard water), iron & sediment..... Holding tank, PH Unit, Iron Unit, Water Softener Unit, Sediment Filter.

We choose a aeration iron unit so we wouldn't need to deal with changing out the green sand every few years. The PH Unit, Iron Unit & Softener all back flush on a set time or on demand. The only thing we must do is add the water softener pellets & change the sediment filter.

The downside to well water is it can change at any time. Then you may need to have units added to deal with it.

12. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

YOu all are wonderful! Thank you so much... each and everyone of you.

I cleaned out whatever I could get too. I did see sediment everywhere. Geez... this thing is like 4 years old. Anyway.... sounds like the CLR needs to be run through. I am running out to get that now. I hope that helps. We just unloaded from yesterday and we have to just take it all out to be hand cleaned because of all of the sediment. No fun!

Thanks again for all the "tricks"
    Hugs
    Kim