How Do You Comfort Yourself

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pawprints, May 30, 2008.

1. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Seems like lately, I feel so drained between regular life and the illness. Like today, my new rescue dog had to go back to the vet. He can't heal from his second surgery. I get so overwhelmed by the little things like this.

I want a big box of cookies right now and a good cry. But thought I'd eat something healthy and write this instead. Well, it wasn't too healthy(pasta salad)...still needed some carbs to relax me.

So how do you comfort yourself...when you are so tired and worn out? Before I was sick, I would walk or work out, but that is not possible now. I would love to hear some ideas.

Take care.
  2. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

the bath tub, light some candles.
    Usually after that, heating pad in my bed. I try to stay quiet and reflect on the good things that I have.

Sounds kinda corny. If that doesn't work I go straight for the

3. pawprints

pawprints New Member

I have a bath tub now...just put one in with the remodel...that's sounds lovely.

Can I take my cookies in the tub with me? Just joking.
  4. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

When I need to be comforted I reach for the chocolate. I make no bones about it. I need chocolate. It's been my comfort food since I was a little girl. Only difference is, nowadays I try to buy a really nice high percentage cocoa chocolate.

Whatever you do, don't feel guilty about it. Be it cookies, chocolate, or long bubble baths. Just enjoy it!

I think you could take your cookies into the tub with you, just please don't dunk them :)

5. pawprints

pawprints New Member

I agree this thing with my new rescued Golden (still no picture) not healing from surgery is not a little thing. It makes me hurt for him. They are calling him "red hot crotch" at the vet...just trying to make me laugh as they can see how upset I am.

But I seem to not be able to handle even the little stresses of life that well anymore, especially things that come up suddenly. I guess in those times I haven't had time to rest and prepare my body for the wear and tear.

I just don't want to reach for the sugar anymore, because then I feel ucky the next day.

So far...we have a bath, candles, and music on our list. I am still open for suggestions.
  6. joyfully

joyfully New Member

7. Pottersclay

Pottersclay New Member

The ULTIMATE comfort food. CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!!!!

Preach it baby!
  8. pawprints

pawprints New Member

seems to be the winner...I guess buy dark organic chocolate and go to town...but then no clothes will fit and I'll have to start a new topic about where to buy clothes when you no energy. LOL

Any others?
  9. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

For sure, you cannot use chocolate every single time you need comfort. Save it for special moments.

Have you tried spiritual reading or meditation? I can find real comfort in reading my Bible and prayer. I'm not sure if you believe in God or not, but there's a huge comfort in knowing someone stronger than myself is in control.

And then there's Chocolate:)

10. pawprints

pawprints New Member

I believe...I find talking out loud to G-d helps to comfort me. Sometimes my eyes have a hard time reading.

My husband is gone for the next 2 days, but I made him go to Blockbuster and I got 2 "girl" movies. I decided that would be comforting.

So I am going to keep a written list to turn to when I feel low.

Coming to this board also helps.
  11. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

I have this figured out, light the candles, turn on the music, get your book, and crosswords, grab the cookies, and milk, (no tub dunking) and the chocolate covered strawberries, had to add strawberries, makes me feel a little less guilty over the chocolate jump in the tub. By the time you gather all of this stuff, you will be exhausted, and will need a relaxing bath.

However you decide to do it, just do it....

12. momof27

momof27 New Member

13. springwater

springwater Active Member

pawprints - I hope Golden will recover soon, animals are so resilient and sweet arent they? The way they just bear up when they are ill - dont complain, dont shout. Just sit there waiting to recover....poor baby.

I hope you did one of the many suggestions people gave, strawberies with cream is one of my favourite comfort foods but one has to wait for strawberry season here. Looking after oneself is so important. If this is your thing...the utube sites have some meditation music for relaxation with wonderful visuals...

God Bless
  14. pawprints

pawprints New Member

I rented "Two Weeks" with Sally is really sad movie and I wanted to cry at an appropriate time and place. But of course, no tears.

Also "Juno"...I will watch that one tonight.

I need to learn some stretches...write that on list to find out about.

Doggie(Zinfandel is his name) is a bit better. But still might require extra surgery.
  15. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

If you are in air conditioning, wrapping in a soft cuddly blanket to watch your movies can be very comforting. Maybe a cup of decaf or a glass of ice tea.

Hope you are having a comfortable Sunday.

16. mezombie

mezombie Member

I need chocolate!

Off to get some now...
  17. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Looks like we all go for the comfort food...but will start trying others on list since it is shorts and bathing suit season!