How do you cook Gnocchi?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kimba4318, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

you all were so helpful on my meal thread... just another question......
    I bought some, they looked yummy. Any ideas on how to cook these or make a meal with them?

Hugs
    Kim
  2. TKE

TKE New Member

Have to laugh, as my Huz has zero Italian in his background, unlike me, who does. Pasta dishes are my fav. He never had them before, now he loves them. Last trip to Sam's Club they had boxes with 3 packages each in, so I bought 10 boxes. We eat them a few times a month or more.

I just boil them & add to spaghetti/meat. Serve with garlic bread & a salad. You can actually use any sauce/soup/etc you like. They're kind of chewy. The really good kind will be lighter in texture. The directions vary, acccording to make/brand, so the cooking time will vary too. Should be on the package some place how long to boil them. Oh use caution when boiling them, as they do tend to foam up & boil over(done that way too many times, LOL). I would also suggest making sure they're not stuck together pre going into the boiling water, or they might stay that way. You can also heat them up later as left overs too, so don't toss them out ;).

You could use chicken/turkey meat & gravy too & just stir the gnocchi in after cooking them. Really just about anything you'd use a sauce or gravy in/on would work. I think they'd be great if tossed in with a few cans of broccoli soup or any soup for that matter too. Kids would probably like them with some kind of cheese sauce/soup.

This site has some recipes:

http://www.cookingwithpatty.com/recipes/gnocchi/index.php

I'm sure there's more sites with gnocchi recipies, but this was one I had.

Let us know how/if you liked them.

Enjoy :),
    Toy
  3. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Thanks Toy---
    SInce you mentioned the beef thing too. I just made them wiht a meat recipe I usually add mashed potatoes to. It tastes good to me, we will see what the troops say tonight.

Next I am going to make them with meat sauce... sounds yummy. I bought the same thing you did at my Sams club. too funny!

Thanks very much and that link was very helpful too!
    Hugs
    Kim
  4. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

HI Prickles - must have been typing at the same time :)
    That sounds great too! I will try that in my next dish. I will let you know how it turns out.

These are new to me and I think it all sounds yummy.

Hugs
    Kim
  5. TKE

TKE New Member

The brand from Sam's is great :). I may have to go back & stock up on some more. One good thing is they're vaccum packed & will last for a LONG time unopened.

Hope your troops liked them!

Toy