How do you cope when you can no longer soak in tub w/o pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by charming, Aug 6, 2008.

1. charming

charming New Member

In 1999 I had a bad fall with my 11month old in my arms I fell on my left side while I was holding my daughter in my right arm and hip. I never had a problem till 9months later now I have osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia but I don't take baths I take showers because my pelvic and tail bone and left hip hurt so bad I want to cry has anyone ever exsperience this ?
  2. dc1980

dc1980 New Member

When I was going to PT I could not do the regular rotation so they put in the water theraphy to do my exercises. Eventually I was in so much pain after even the water theraphy I had to quit going. After that I had my doctor write me a prescription for a hot tub and even though my insurance did not pay for I was able to take it off on my taxes.

It has been a miracle when the pain is the worst and the pain meds are not touching the extreme pain.

There are plenty of other inexpensive ways to help also. Like heating pads, muscle creams, have a friend give you a massage or even if you have a Massage School near by you can get a huge discount...All are temporary reliefs however, I'll take anything I can get for a few moments of having minimal pain. My pain is mostly in the deep part of bones and nerves, so just about nothing relieves the pain completely.

Do you have someone to help you?

I wish you luck in finding your own method of relieving your pain. It seems to be trial and error for most of us anyway.

Take care,
    [This Message was Edited on 08/07/2008]
  3. colorfulcolorado

colorfulcolorado New Member

I which I could take baths but the pain hurts sooo bad. I take long showers with really warm water. I have a friend thou that has FM and her insurance paid for her hot tub because of the FM. She loves it and probably wouldn't live without it. My heating pad also helps somewhat. Or have you ever thought about getting one of those tubs you can sit in?(it's like bath tub with a seat in it) Maybe insurance would help pay for that or the whole thing. Wouldn't hurt to ask.
  4. padavis48

padavis48 New Member

Yes, I miss soaking in a tub too! We have a large tub with jets in our masterbath, but it's been over 4 yrs since I could use it (hubby loves it). With 2 hip replacements and back, neck, etc, it just isn't possible.

I take long, very warm showers, have heating pads located around the house where ever I like to sit and also have messages a couple times a month. Other than that, I do take a lot of pain meds and anti-inflammatory and use topical treatments like Bio-Freeze and Sore No More on specific joints. I would love to have one of those walk in tubs I see advertised on TV, but can't afford anything like that since having to quit work.