How do YOU deal with brainfog ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by INITAHUG, Oct 8, 2008.

INITAHUG New Member

I need help. I'm learning to deal with the pain, and not being able to do what I've done before, and totally changing my life style, but I can NOT get use to the brainfog.

My doctor says that shes never seen a fibro patient with it that bad (which i don't know how many shes treated) almost making me feel stupid, and like a liar, which I know she dosen't mean it in a bad way,thats just the way I take things these days

I'm getting weaned off cymbalta and put on Elvail to see if it helps, so Im in between each and am kinda a mess.
    I write things down,and repeat thing, and try to keep a schedule,just to stay on task,but its very hard for me,and its to the point that I don't like to go anywhere by myself because my mind wanders, and a 10min trip to walmart ends up being over an hour,and I dont even come home with the things I went for.

I just wandered what everybody else does and if you have it all the time, or just when you have flares, and maybe something clould help me out.
  2. jasperaudrey

jasperaudrey New Member

My momory has never been great. I was just diagnosed with fibro earley this year. I have the same problem. I have virtually NO memory now. I am on 300mg of Lyrica a day, but it doesn't seem to help with the fog. I don't think my dr realizes how bad it is. I guess that is one of those things that you don't understand untill you have been there. Mine is all of the time. There have even been several times that I couldn't remember who my kids were with.

There are a lot of times that I just feel crazy because I can't remember!

My solution is post-its, I carry them with me all the time. I know that may sound crazy, but as long as I don't loose the note, it helps me. Also, I now have a phone with a calander in it. The last few days I have been entering everything into it, down to my shopping lists.
  3. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

the brain fog was always the worst symptom for me. i have had CFS for over 15 years.

my fog is improving very very slowly with the use of antiviral drugs.

4. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

It is so frusterating. My word retrieval is the worst. I think that the "fog" is not looked at or understood as much by doctors. I leave notes all over for my self.

I only drive short distances because anything longer I am afraid of getting to tired and falling asleep at the wheel.

5. Lillie17

Lillie17 New Member

When I was a teacher, some of the special needs kids would have various check sheets, so now I've given myself some.

I have a check-off sheet for my meds and supplements.

I have a notebook where I keep a log of what I do to make sure I rest enough. (I'm supposed to have two units of rest for every one of activity.)

At the top of the page I have a side for rest and a side for activity. For each 10 minute increment I put a mark on the appropriate side -- I want to see that my rest side has twice as many marks as my activity side.

I have a smaller notebook where I keep a to-do list.

I often jot down things (in my larger activity notebook) that I want to remember because they're interesting -- like an idea, a book to read, something someone said.

My goal is, as ATP allows ;-), to get a loose leaf binder
    with tabs, so I won't have two or three small notebooks and a supplement check-sheet.

I also try - I mean really, really try - to remember to put certain key things in their correct place - like my purse and my vitamins/supplements.

Good luck to all.
  6. 5hei1a

5hei1a New Member

What a great idea Lillie. Thanks for sharing. Although the process and instructions wore me out just reading them. LOL

Soft hugs,