How do you deal with this dd of fibro when........

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Feb 13, 2009.

1. The pain everyday gets almost unbearable? I know alot have flu like symptoms but NOT ME! I have actual severe pain. I swear my nerves are wrapped around the muscles screaming. I have been so stressed out and I know that makes it worse. We had alot of rain and I think that made matters worse. Any ideas to deal with stress of this dd?
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Some people may not like this suggestion for obvious reasons, but it has helped me a lot....I go to a tanning bed a few times/week for about 15 minutes at a time. It doesn't completely get rid of the pain, but it does help a lot. I can't tolerate being super hot (or freezing), but this seems to have just the rt amt of heat to be really soothing. It also helps w a little with my energy, my messed up circadian rhythm, and it has helped improve my depression, and its relaxing. I have also noticed that my skin isn't breaking out like it normally does in the winter, and I've read that it can increase Vit D levels, like the sun does.
  3. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have constant severe pain and I deal with this using medication. I use a pretty large regime of meds but they make life bearable for me and yes these do include narcotics.
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I unfortunately require pain meds to help me function or have any quality of life at all at this point.

Tammie - very interesting. After reading your post I did a lot of thinking.
    As I've written before, my first real symptoms and Dr's appointments started 25 years ago. Shortly after that, I not only worked full time, but also worked part time at a tanning salon. Throughout the years I've frequently tanned - (yes debateable, but found one that doesn't have UVB rays) anyway, ya know, my pain wasn't as bad during those times now that I think about it. My pain has been MUCH worse the last three years and I haven't tanned for the past three years.

Husband and I went on vacation this past summer and spent a lot of time at the pool, walking in the lazy river, relaxing etc. I felt so much better. I didn't have any aspartame there either, so I thought maybe that was the connection so I gave that up, but my pain returned with a vengeance.

The sun (tanning beds?) and heat definitely help me - you made me realize it even more. I do not have the patience to sit outside in the sun for long periods of time in the summer (unless I'm by water)
    BTW- my Vitamin D levels are great.

Hmmm. Just talked to my husband about it. He reminded me about going through a period where they thought I had MS (also a few years where I couldn't tan because of money/time issues) I'm wondering if this has any effect on me. Not so much pain as overall good feelings.
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

It is interesting that you seem to have had somewhat similar experiences with tanning. I tend to hesitate to mention it for the obvious issues related to cancer, wrinkles, etc. In fact, I have joked that I may be the only person going tanning hoping to not actually get tan (bc I don't want to hear about how bad it is for you from well meaning friends)...still, I have noticed such a huge difference, and one that doesn't disappear once my body gets used to it (like what happens with a lot of people and meds) that I think it's worth it. I am being extra diligent in checking my skin and I always wear the eye protection, though. Also, I am quite broke, but I found a place that offers a monthly rate of 19.99. To me, so far at least, it's worth it.
  6. cmt49829

cmt49829 New Member

I also need the meds to make life bearable most of the time.

Ive never tried the tanning, but I know that if I keep my legs wrapped up warm, like when watching tv etc., it helps the aching.
  7. interesting about the tanning. I don't know about laying in an enclosed bed like that. Do they have rooms u can stand in and would that help the same.

thanks everyone, I was/am having a bad time.
  8. argjcas

argjcas New Member

I recently seen a new Rhumatoligst and she told me no sugar or artifical sweeteners, no soda,coffe,or Tea and to get most of my calories from fresh fruits and vegetables and Roughage.
    Then prescribed Neurontin 600 mg. 3 times a day.
    I have been doing this for about 2 weeks I feel a little better. Definetly have more energy but still pain. Also has helped with some of my stomach issues

When my pain is unbearable I go sit in a warm bath with some peppermint oil added to it.
  9. loto

loto Member

the rays that actually tan you? i used to go to tanning beds and float in my pool all the time (when i didn't work during the summer). Anyway, i had to quit the beds because of a pre-melanoma spot on my knee, that had to be removed, along with a good chunk of area around it. I miss the heat from the sun!! I used to worship the sun just for the way it made me feel! I felt so healthy!!!!!!!! Also, i wonder if wearing sunscreen in a tanning bed will protect skin from the harmful rays????
  10. kellyann

kellyann New Member

The thing that has helped me the most is an electric blanket. I got a queen sized one for my bed...cost about $75. It is worth every penny and then some! It feels so good on my sore muscles. Also lyrica helps me. So, I take a lyrica and wrap up in my blanket, turn it up on high and read or watch t.v. I have severe constant pain also in my muscles and joints. I have lyme too, do you?

Hope you feel better soon!

11. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Not a stupid question at all - but I don't know the answer regarding the sunscreen. A Tanning bed feels like you're wrapped in a big warm blanket.
    It doesn't come down on you all the way, so you don't feel like you're in a coffin - you have control over how far you want it anyway.
    I used to go to one that is actually a bed mattress - you flip over after 15 minutes. Heaven.
    UVB- are the burning rays. I'm sure that they're not good for you either, but when I've gone to this particular place, I have never once burned - not once - even going at the beginning of the season, being pure winter white.

I don't think standing would be quite as relaxing - but I couldn't tell you about the benefits. I'd have a harder time standing there with arms out.
    I'm all about laying down. LOL
  12. ISSGOD

ISSGOD New Member

I am on pain meds, helps blunt the pain, but on a bad day, they do not help much. I try to lose myself in a videogame. This keeps me focused on somthing other than how I feel. Helps me cope, but still playing games gets old. I watch movies, t.v. too. I wish I had a better way to cope with it all, but I do not.
  13. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I do the games, movies, surfing the net thing. Anything to keep me focused on something else. Not much helps the pain. Just lots of rest, makes it less, but it's never gone.
  14. loto

loto Member

Okay, it's Tuesday morning and I've got the biggest kink in my neck. It hurts so bad no matter which way i move it. And, my hip is hurting also. And I think I've just realized it's because I didn't do my stretches last nite. I just started doing these stretches last week and haven't missed a nite until last nite because I was so groggy and tired from the meds I had yesterday for an EGD test. Now this morning I'm really paying for it. So, I suggest that people do light stretches each day and see how that helps them! I use a theraband.