How do you define yourself?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jaltair, Jul 4, 2007.

1. jaltair

jaltair New Member

How do we define ourselves?

Yesterday during my drive home from work, I was listening to John Tesh radio program. The concept of how we define ourselves was being discussed by John Tesh; I realized I was defining myself by my feelings. Change:

“I’m miserable” to “I feel miserable.”

“I’m angry” to “I feel angry”

Put the feelings where they belong as feelings and do not let feelings define who you are.

This spoke to my heart and I’m sharing these thoughts in hope it may help others who have all the ailments that go with these DD’s to rethink how to define who they are.
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

prespective! But helpful!,,,,I always Feel unworthy of everything due to this DD,,,Was Raised to Work Hard for what you have and who you are!

so yes i have felt that i was letting my family down alot due to not being able to provide for them,,,,,,,Due to this DD,,,,,Still feel that way!,,,,,acceptance is still hard to come by!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I Have come to the conclusion that most people who have these disorders are very special ,,and have almost given to much of them selves to others and their jobs,,Familys,,,,,

etc,,and now the only thing they can do is to take care of themselves! That's thier new job,,,,(does this make any sense?),,,,,S
  3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

From all I've read on the Boards over these past years, most people with the DD's represented have been overachievers and "givers."

It is difficult for some of us to accept being taken care of. We are the ones doing the caregiving.

Perhaps that's how we have come to identify ourselves and when we can't give or care for others and need others to "care" for us ... we pull in.

It is very difficult for me to allow others to help me and I'm that last one I think about as far as caregiving.

This does make sense. Thank you for sharing.
  4. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

I so relate and understand what you guys are saying....

I have always defined myself by my feelings and have gotten in trouble many times becasue of it but you know what, now at 57 Iam proud of who I have become and how i have affected peoples life by the love I have given....

Had I not allowed my feeling to define me I beleive I wouldnt be in the space Iam now, yes maybe now I have to let others look after ME but Iam learning to know that thats ok, thats what life SHOULD be taking care of each other....

And what do we do on this board????? helping each other!

So just another way of looking at this.......

love n hugs to you both

5. sisland

sisland New Member

selfish comes to mind! I Think thats what others think now! But isn't me at all! Being very ~~~ very unselfish got us here partly!,,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,,,,S
  6. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

its us caring for others that have got us here and now its time for us to look after us!!!!!

strange and uncomfortable for us to deal with as we arnt used to it and we also have to get used to others doing and asking others to do for us

We have each other to bounce off with, we will get there

Angel hugs
  7. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I first enjoyed his music and was then amazed at how great he was as a "DJ" with the wisdom he interjects in the program. Always a lesson listening to him!

L, Jeannette