How do you describe your pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kat211, May 14, 2010.

1. kat211

kat211 New Member

I wrote a paper for a linguistic anthropology class about how people describe their pain eons ago. I hadn't thought about it since I wrote it, but got to thinking about it last night when my son asked me to describe the pain I felt.

He is 7, so describing how I feel to him is difficult at best. I really didn't know what to tell him that he could understand or relate too.

I have described my FM pain as being kind of like shin splints, just all over when others have asked me. I also think it is similar to getting a shot in a muscle, but worse and constant.

How do you describe your pain?
  2. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I describe my pain as being beaten up with a baseball bat. Thats exactly what I tell the doctor every time I see him.

P.S. I really dont know what it feels like to be beaten up with a baseball bat - lol.
  3. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I have a standard and succinct answer for people asking me to describe my pain. I'v been told by other fibro sufferers that it is an excellent description:

"I feel like I've been beaten up from the inside out."

Hope it works for you!

4. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I told my doctor once, I ask if he had ever slammed his thumb in the car door, and now to imagine slamming your entire body in it.

Deep, burning, searing.
  5. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

It is like stubbing your toe only with us the pain continues and the pain is 10 times the level of the pain that you experience and it is all over are body. My doctor came down with the flu and I went to see him right after that I also have migrane associated vertigo which manifest itself with consist dizziness and nauseousness and on top of that I have the pain as well as other problems from a car accident. He was telling me his wife had to take care of him. I asked him did you hurt all over? He said yes. I asked him were you sick to your stomach? He said yes he threw up. I asked him if he had to stay in bed alot? He said yes. I said welcome to my world. It really did impact him as I am sure he would not want to be like that on a daily bases. These are a few things that might help you with your son as well as others. However, I might add they can't walk in your shoes so they cannot possibly really understand.
  6. loto

loto Member

as...most of the time it's a constant throbbing, and cramping.
    Then other times, especially in my shoulders it's a burning pain.

You're right, though, it is hard to describe!

7. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

run over by a mack truck, being pulled thru a knot hole back wards, had my bones broken with a base ball bat daily, feeling like some one is pulling my knee's apart the pressure is so great that my knee caps feel like they are going to POP off.

I ache , freeze, burn, throb, stabbing , sharp, non stop throbbing acheing all over pain. It does not stop ever but can be eased. Wish it would go away,
  8. kat211

kat211 New Member

It's funny (ok not really) that all of these descriptions describe different kinds of pain to me. Of course I think I have experienced all of them with this DD.

thank you all. I now have some better examples to tell me son. I think he will understand the toe stubbing one, he seems to do that a lot to himself.
  9. Maryfibro2004

Maryfibro2004 New Member

I toll my kids it like haveing the ful you know when you hrut all over thats how i feel all the time they unstad and said sorry i hrut so much.

10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

My pain is a deep aching fluish feeling that drains all the energy out of me.

11. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

Like someone is using my whole body as a punching bag.