HOW DO YOU DIAGNOSE COSTOCHONDRITIS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Annette2, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

How does the doctor diagnose costochondritis? Do you have to have the pain at the time she examines you? I get that pain under my breast, but don't know if it's that or not. Since I may not have the pain when I see the doctor, would she be able to diagnose it? Thanks.

Annette2
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

How does the doctor diagnose costochondritis? Do you have to have the pain at the time she examines you? I get that pain under my breast, but don't know if it's that or not. Since I may not have the pain when I see the doctor, would she be able to diagnose it? Thanks.

Annette2
  3. Roxi

Roxi New Member

by your description of it and eliminating other possible causes. Yours could have been a chest muscle and not the rib joint.
    It feels like a "for real" heart attack! Chest pressure, pain with breathing, can radiate down the arm....but no heart problem! If you get it again, if it's a chest muscle it will get better if you put your arms out to the sides and then stretch towards your back. This will pull out the spasm.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can usually find a very, very sore spot in the rib cage, often where it attaches to the sternum. I know the whole area hurts, but I'm talking about a spot so sore, it feels like a boil when touched. A good doc can find the spot for you and inject it if you want him or her to. I finally had mine injected between two ribs right next to the sternum. My doc hit the spot exactely, which can be hard to do, and the relief lasted a year.

Love, Mikie