How do you explain to friends?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chloeuk, Nov 1, 2006.

1. chloeuk

chloeuk New Member

My friends all know I have been ill for almost a year and I have told them I probably have cfs..I was told that bu immunologist. The thing is that they then think you are just tired so I go on to explain that my joints hurt really bad as do my muscles...what they dont get is that there is no treatment for it...they say things like they must be able to help you..there must be something you can take to get better..see another dr.

I am going back down the road of drs again after about a 4 month gap because I just felt like no one could help me..but I am flaring badly with the pain so have to do anything that could help.

What should I say to friends who just dont get it? even my husband is struggling with the fact that no one can help me
    Chloe
  2. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

I think it also helps to tell people that it is unrelieved by rest, and that exersize does not cure it.

People are going to come at you with that all over the place "If you'd just rest you'd be fine" "Excersize cures everything"

Don't listen to them!
  3. chloeuk

chloeuk New Member

Thanks for the replies...I havent ever been in chat, must be someone with the same name as me...I do hate talking about this because I feel like they must be so sick of me...it comes up because I cant always follow thru on plans I have made and feel like people think I am making up excuses...so that leads to me explaining and they then aks more questions. Guess its just a matter of trying to help them understand...its hard when you dont even understand it yourself..in this day and age you would expect there to be treatment available for most diseases.
  4. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi Chloe - I am so sorry that you are not receiving the support you should be getting from your husband and your friends.

Everyone that is near to us makes it much more difficult on us when they don't understand what we all go through.

I no longer talk to my family about my illness because they never wanted to understand but I have to say that my hubby and kids have always supported me through the years.

Someone mentioned the "Spoon Theory" which is an excellent letter I would recommend you letting your hubby and friends read.

You can also do a search for another letter that is titled "My Name is Fibromyalgia".

This site has definitely been a lifeline for me and there are so many here that offer support anytime we need to talk.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Love & Hugs,
    Carolin