How do you figure out what to eat for dinner?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwinMa, Jul 7, 2007.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Do you plan a weekly menu? Do you just think of it that day and then run to the grocery store? Do you buy in bulk and freeze? How often do you shop?

I'd love to hear people's strategies on food and how to plan what to have for dinner. It's always a challenge for me, so let's hear some good ideas!
  2. caffey

caffey New Member

1. I always have 2 meals in the freezer of fast frozen foods that I just have to nuke for "those days".
    2. When I cook ( I live alone) it is simple and I make enough for at least 2 days. If it is more then freeze it.
    3. I buy a pre-cooked chicken ( it is cheaper than a raw one). I can get 4 + meals from it and throw fries or nuke a potatoe to go with it.
    4. Buy pre made salads. For me it easier and cheaper than buying individual ingredients.
    5. I shop a couple of times a week.
    6. Can't think to plan meals for every day. I don't know how I will feel.
    Good staples to have on hand
    canned tuna- you can make anything from sandwiches to casseroles
    kraft dinner
    pork and beans
    frozen meatballs
    All else fails put Pizza Hut on your speed
    Hope it helps a bit.
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I keep a fully stocked pantry and freezer. I often don't decide what to have for dinner until around 3:00 when for some reason, I seem to get a small burst of energy.

My dinners are often planned around what kind of weather we're having and since it's been in the high 40's to low 60's lately, that changes things.

I like to keep what I often use in meals here because there's no way I can run to the store when I need something, most times...I still don't get out of my jammies.

I wish I could be organized enough to have a weekly meal plan, but it won't happen. I just keep what I'll need here so I can make what I want that day.

Nancy B

4. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

I have three other adult people to think about, my husband has a physical disability and my sons useless......

So I shop when I have to, it gets me out and gives me purpose so maybe every 2 days maybe 3 if we are lucky

I put most of my energy in cooking a meal for the fam, one that my husband can eat independently otherwise i have to feed him, snitzels, sausages, ravioli etc

the first though of the dday is what will we have tonight?

If my day is really bad, takaway is the deal ot help your self to the freezer.....

Its always a hassle and I dont eat the things i should eat, tonight it will be a veggie burger with rocket and cheese on a roll as the others are having spaghetti

I have no appetite for good food.....

sorry for the ramble I too put a post on the FM board in regards to this problem

angel hugs
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

You all have good suggestions. It is so hard to come up with something night after night. I really need to come up with a consistent plan. Something that won't fail me when I feel crummy. I know, I need a live-in chef!
  6. joyfully

joyfully New Member

When I cook, I make huge amounts. I purchase those disposable metal cake pans and divide the food into proportions for 3 people.

I purchase the prewashed salad mix. I usually put out cottage cheese and applesauce (if appropriate).

I make spaghetti sauce, chili, South Western barley corn soup, chop suey, vegetable beef soup, etc. Everything is a couple gallons.

I put the food into the square plastic containers and freeze most of it.

I would go bonkers if I had to cook every day.

I figure, if you are going to make a mess in the kitchen---make it worth your while! I hate clean-up.