How do you find a pro bono lawyer

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by doxygirl, Aug 6, 2006.

  1. doxygirl

    doxygirl New Member

    If anyone knows how we could find information on how to locate a pro bono lawyer PLEASE write here to me!

    Thank you so much!:)

  2. cjcookie

    cjcookie New Member

    are you looking for?
  3. doxygirl

    doxygirl New Member

    my son and I need a lawyer to help us with visitation, and for my son also "joint custody" of his baby!

    Thank you for trying to help :)
  4. PVLady

    PVLady New Member

    Have you also called Legal Aid?
  5. doxygirl

    doxygirl New Member

    I haven't called legal aid yet.....but I have heard from a few people that have used them,...............that they do not help very much???

    We desperatley need someone who CAN watch our backs!

    Thank you for the suggestion..............I will look into it!:)
  6. rockgor

    rockgor Well-Known Member

    contacting bar associations. The state bar Assoc., the county bar assoc. There are others e.g. City, Black, Gay, Hispanic, etc. Maybe a Family Law Assoc. Ask for referrals.

    You can get lists of bar associations in the yellow pages and the Parker Directory. If you can't find the Parker Directory of Attorneys at the library, try a government law library or a law school library.

    If that doesn't work, call the firm's w/ the biggest ads in the phone book that do family law. Ask if their firm does pro bono work. If they don't, ask if they know who does.

    Call women's shelters, rights groups, etc.

    You could also try a law school. Some schools have programs where the students work on real cases under the supervision of attorneys.

    Good luck.
  7. eeyoreblue02

    eeyoreblue02 Member

    I used legal aid many years ago when I went through a divorce. I was very pleased with the help I received.

  8. 69mach1

    69mach1 New Member

    your hubby's and yours...

    look in your county phone book...see if they have a family law facilitator...they will be processing my paperwork for free...c/s..stuff..

    the library has nolo books on how to for divorce and visitation...

    call local child support office and ask them if they have any attorneys or self help offices they could reccomend...

    google your county you live in..

    he will get joint custody...but what you will be looking for is physical custody...he has no records....

    and if they want to use your words against you it shouldn't fly in court...about your is about your son....

    is he living w/you or is he on his own....? maybe w/gf?

    they only records they will care about is the mother's baby and the baby's father...if no records...they will need to come up w/an agreement on visitation amonh each other...the grandparents the girlfriend would never be allowed in the court room in our county in marin..

    it is bad enough having to deal w/the parents emotions...

    we go into the family law judges private chambers...only the parents and attorney's.....

    now if you want to get a public record of the grandmother or mother to see if there has been drug or alcohol or even phsical are entitled to to see it and get a copy i am sure...

    but this is really about the parents and not grand parents...

    well good luck i have a million things to do...

    read my post under jodie from fight4cure that will give you an update...


  9. 1sweetie

    1sweetie New Member

    I wanted to make sure I understood what pro bono means. I did a Google search and I clicked on definition. There were some resources on that page. You may want to look there.

    I wish I knew more.

    Good Luck. I think you are a great mother and grandmother and I do not know you. It has to show to the people that you meet.

    I wish I would win the lottery (like everybody else) or just had the money myself. I would spread the money to the people on this board that are in such need.
  10. place

    place New Member

    Each firm does Pro Bono work for tax purposes. I can't remember if each lawyer needed to log a certain amount of pro bono work or if it was just total for the firm. I would call an ask the firms secretary's or legal aid.
  11. mrdad

    mrdad New Member

    I see that you live here on the "Left Coast" in Calif.
    As such, you may wish to take a look at the Website for
    the California Superior Court dealing with these problems.
    The site is for an abundance of info.
    including the necessary forms etc. to pursue your own case
    without an Attorney. I may be doing this concerning a re-
    lative who we feel is being taken advantage of financially. Get back with me if you have other questions.

    Best wishes,
    P.S. You sound intelligent and educated and
    I feel this may be an option for you!!
  12. mrdad

    mrdad New Member


[ advertisement ]