How do you folks exercise when you hurt all over

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by seejay, Jan 29, 2004.

ProHealth CBD Store
  1. seejay

seejay New Member

Warm water helps but our local heated pool has such cold dressing rooms my back goes into spasms and my back goes out of place. Walking is hard in the winter in the country and I can't justify going 24 miles for a warm place to walk. I have a walking machine with a belt on it (having a fibro moment) and a staionary bike but I hurt so much and it takes all day to do my housework and nap so I don't feel like I can justify the time. Do floor exercises such as stretching help? I have very poor balance and get light-headed if I do stand-up exercises.
  2. suz41

suz41 New Member

Seejay:

If you are unable or just don't feel up to "working" out at home or at the gym/pool or you are in a flare some very light mild stretching say 15min 2x day will help keep your muscles less tight and not in as much pain. Even when I'm hurting or in a flare I try to do some stretching it helps with the stiffness and pain. I also use a tape of mild yoga streching that is by Gaiam with Rodney Yee. I have found the routine to be very realaxing yet not overly strenous on bad days. You can purcahse these tapes at any enteratinment store or online at Gaiam.com (sp) I hope this was helpful. Follow up the stretching with a warm mineral bath to keep your muscles loose.

Suz
    [This Message was Edited on 01/29/2004]
  3. carol43

carol43 New Member

When I am really hurting, I usually want to just lay in bed, but I make myself get up and warm water shower hitting my shoulders does seem to help. Stretching helps also. Light easy stretching. Sitting on the edge of the bed or on the sofa. I have also noticed that if my husband massages the areas that hurt, it seems to help also. When he gives me a neck or shoulder massage my shoulders and arms will pop and crack and that usually helps. Good luck!!
  4. Yolapa

Yolapa New Member

I get scared of exercise when everything seems to just make the pain worse. I just started seeing a biofeedback therapist and am looking forward to seeing a lot of improvement. He hooks me up to a computer that graphs my muscle tension and then teaches stretches and other relaxation techniques. Learning the techniques while being able to actually see the muscle tension and relaxation allows you to gain an incredible amount of control over muscles--also heartrate, breathing and other stress responses.

Most people stretch too hard and end up doing more muscle damage. Seeing what the muscle is doing on the computer screen assures that you are helping, not hurting yourself, and you learn what it feels like to do it right. Many mental health counselors and medical professionals like physical therapists are certified in biofeedback. I'd really encourage you to look into it--has helped tons of people. And you don't have to freeze to do it.

Otherwise, be very careful when exercising. Start slow--very slow--but stay consistent and build up strength to be able to do more eventually. This is SO hard for me when I see everyone else lifting weights and running...I just sit there and stretch. That's my workout! I feel like such as wus sometimes, but the truth is it takes way more discipline to stick to what I know is best for my body than it does to go and completely overdo it.

To help reduce pain in muscles, use ice and heat. You can make ice bags easily by mixing water and isopropyl alcohol 50:50 (keeps it from freezing into a solid block) in a zip lock and throw a few in the freezer. Ice increases circulation in the deep muscles, while heat works on surface muscles.

5. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hi Seejay!

As much as "exercise" used to be a bad word in my vocabulary, I have to admit that it actually has helped me feel better.

Maybe you could try doing a few stretching exercises before hitting the housework and doing other parts of your daily routine. That way your stiff muscles will have a chance to loosen a bit before you need to use them.

It is difficult to exercise during the winter months. I use our recumbent stationary bike to limber up several times throughout the day and it does help out, as well.

Wishing you the best!

Janice
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

They will show you how to stretch and flex to keep the muscles toned, flexible and strong when you can't do anything else. I used to do mine in bed even when I was bedridden. They actually help with the pain.

Tai Chi, Yoga, working with a big ball are all good ways to exercise. If you need aerobic exercise and can't swim or get out, any of the tapes which use a warm up session will work. The buns of steel, abs of steel, etc. all have a warmup in the beginning. If it's too vigorous, just do it slower or with less motion. Those mini trampolines are good and do not damage the joints. Also, they have found bouncing beneficial to our health somehow. I bounce on my big ball and it is fun.

If nothing else works, get up and dance to some music you enjoy. You can control your movements and not overdo it.

Love, Mikie
  7. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

When I first got back into daily "exercising" there were days I could do NOTHING, I mean really NOTHING.

So, I would drape my body over a physioball (Looks like a big beach ball) and breathe, relax, just be mindful of how my body felt in that position staying there for many minutes. Then I would change position and breathe and stay, wait. I would change position until I did face down, face up, left side down, right side down.

You can purchase the ball inexpensively, but I did buy one that came with a tape from reputable yoga company.

If I had just bought the BALL I might still just be looking at the darn thing today.

We should arm muscles first, it is wonderful if you can but some days we can't. I can always do more after this "stretching" then will get at least a little cardio in, but always restretch the muscles after warming them.

This ball is great for opening up our chest and shoulder areas that give us so much trouble. Fondly, June

ProHealth CBD Store