How do you get a pain specialist doctor?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nightngale, Feb 17, 2007.

  1. nightngale

    nightngale New Member

    My HMO works on a referral system, do you think I would have to go ask my primary for a referral to a pain specialist? I just started a new rheumy, are they allowed to rx beyond tramadol? Which has worked well so far, but is not helping my new neck/ back pain. which they are all saying is fibro. I wonder if I didn't have fibro if it would be investigated further?
  2. NyroFan

    NyroFan New Member


    I would tell them the whole situation and maybe you can get a reterral for one doctor who can do all.

    Maybe it may take two docs, but why not ask? It can not hurt to try!

  3. gidgetsmom

    gidgetsmom New Member

    The only rheumy we have here thinks that fibro is all a state of mind. Needless to say, I never went back to him.

    BUT, being medical dr.'s they can rx beyond tramadol if they want.

    The only thing mine did for me was refer me to pain management when I got to the max limit of tramadol and was still in pain.

    I would think either your new rheumy or primary doc could give you the referral you need.

  4. discoverygal

    discoverygal New Member

    I understand that most pain management clinics will only take referrals. Your gp should be able to do the referral for you.
  5. nightngale

    nightngale New Member

    Thanks everyone for your ideas. I see the rheumy Thursday and will find out.

[ advertisement ]