How do you get a sleep study and how do you know you need one?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Sep 8, 2005.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

My husband is back to saying I am tossing and turning all night. I am on .5mg of Klonopin at bedtime and am afraid to ask for more for fear they will take it away all together.

Both my PCP and rheumy said it is addicting, but rheumy agreed to leave me on the .5mg before bed, since it is such a low dose and helped so much.

He gave me 3 months and it is time to renew almost. My plan was to call it in and let the pharmacy call his office for authorization. I am figuring if I have not had to increase, he will let me stay on it.

I think I might need to up the dose, but as I said, don't want to ask. I use ZMA, 3mg of melatonin and 25mg of elavil along with the Klonopin for sleep.

How do you get your doc to order a sleep study and how do you know if you need one?

I am not tired when I get up and am not getting very tired during the day. I usually take my night meds at 8 and am asleep by 9 and get up at 5:15, so I am resting, I guess if I am not tired during the day, but what about the "twitching"?

To be honest, I hate the thought of going to see him at $40 a pop for this if I don't have to. Any suggestions are welcome, of course. Well, except to go jump off a bridge!!! LOL

Sonya
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Sonya:
    Snoring is one sure sign of needing a sleep study. Or insomnia. Best bet for a referral for one: a pulmonologist.
    A gal I used to stay in touch with went that route and is on a bilevel cpap at night.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

Tell your doctor that you are not getting restorive sleep and you are still quite fatigued daily even though you are on klonopin. With worries of sleep apnea possibly being life threatening, and ... different sleep disorders responding better to one drug but not another ...that you want to know once and for all what exactly is going on during your sleep.

I don't know what kind of relationship you have with your doctors, but fight for this if you have to. Sleep studies have just become too important in treating our illness.

How do you know if you need one : CFS and/or FM diagnosis, snoreing, takes a long time to fall asleep if you don't take some type of medication to put you there,
    you wake up often, tossing and turning, you feel like road kill and unrefreshed when you wake up, not feeling you're getting any better pain wise.

I'm not saying a sleep study will cure what ails ya, but it definately can determine what type of disorder you have and which medication is the best to treat it.

I can't take AD's, ambien or xyrem, but I can take lunesta.

I wish you well on this. I have become obnoxously
    out spoken on sleep studies. I just didn't know that I was making myself worse with the medication I was on until I had my study done. Now I have a very good improvement in the way I feel.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do....

Elsa
  4. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I am going to try and get my prescription refilled. I am down to about 4 or 5 pills, so I think it is not too soon and see if the doc okays it by phone to the pharamcy.

I set the bottle on the table today to bring to work with me and guess what? It is still on the table at home! I am going to call after they open since I don't have the #.

When I get paid again and can afford a visit to the doc, I think I will go back to the rheumy. I don't really have a relationship with him. I have been once and it was specifically to get Klonopin so even though we talked, it was not really a diagnostic visit per se.

Sonya