How do you get some sleep? Please tell me.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jmaxjmax, Aug 20, 2003.

1. jmaxjmax

jmaxjmax New Member

I was thinking of knocking myself unconscious! But seriously, I'm wondering what are the best ways to get some sleep. Insomnia has been driving me batty lately!
    I have even tried a mixture of OTC sleeping pills (Diphenhydramine and doxylamine succinate).

Any suggestions are welcome.
    :) Max
  2. HURTSALOT2

HURTSALOT2 New Member

Hi Max, sorry you are having problems getting to sleep. I take two trazodone when I am ready to go to bed. If I do not take these I will be up all night. Hope you get some relief soon. Take care.
    HURTSALOT2
  3. petfriend

petfriend New Member

Hi Max:
    My Dr. prescribed Amitriptyline and I've been taking it for nearly four weeks now. She started me out on 10mg and I'm to increase the dosage by 10mg every week until I'm on 50mg. The first night I noticed a marked difference. I'm now sleeping well and only wake up once or twice at night instead of every hour. I take it about an hour before I go to bed.
    The only side effects I experienced is dry mouth and a feeling of being a bit dopey during the day, but that's starting to ease off now. I think it takes time to get used to, but I'm sure happy to be sleeping after 2 years of sleep deprivation.
    Maybe talk to your Dr. about it. May not work the same for everyone.
    Take care - Irene
  4. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

I am allergic to so many medications that I have had to find my own sleep aide. My diagnosing doctor prescribed valerian a long time ago, but it, alone, did not help me. Lately I have been taking Sleepytime Tea Extra (with valerian) and that helps me get to sleep and sleep for 4 or 5 hours. Sometimes doing a smple, repetative, meditation at bedtime will put me to sleep for about the same amount of time.
    Good luck,
    Terry
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I've been taking Natural Calm--a magnesium supplement--and a couple Tylenol PM about an hour before I go to bed. It worked for me last night, thank heavens.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I tried Elavil and Flexeril but they didn't provide good quality of sleep, just made me sleepy and hung over the next day. They also rapidly packed on the pounds. For many here, though, they work great.

I have found that Klonopin helps not only with sleep, but with sensory overload, tinnitus, muscle spasms, and anxiety. What a drug!

Downside of Klonopin is that if you ever want to go off of it, you must slowly wean off of it.

Love, Mikie
  7. courtney5771

courtney5771 New Member

Two aldult dosages- 60mg. The doc says it's ok and was the one to prescribe that much. It's enough to kilk a horse. I wake up feeling like I have slept and no hangover.

Its all good!

Courtney
  8. KellyT

KellyT New Member

Currently using lorezapam and melatonin. 8-9 hours. No hang-over. Used to use benedryl, which worked, too, but not very predictably. Sometimes worked in an hour... sometimes worked in 2-3. Makes it kind of hard to keep to a schedule. Hope this helps. Kelly
  9. RoseSky

RoseSky New Member

Has worked the best for me so far. Tried Trazadone, but couldn't find a good dosage. Anything under 2 pills didn't work, but 2 pills left me all drugged the next morning. Same with Klonopin-couldn't find happy medium. When I only had Trazodone at home I would mix 1 of those with 2 Tylenol sleep aids - worked pretty good, but probably not the wisest idea ever.