How do you get through the day?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by opala, Dec 6, 2002.

1. opala

opala New Member

After tons and tons of tests and doctors and poking and prodding I've finally been diagnosed with FM. Due to the constant pain (and the inability to walk some days) I've been out of work on short-term disability. However, neither my PC doc nor my Rheumatologist wants to recommend disability, and no one has been able to make me better (at least well enough to drive) I've been on over 20 different medications. I've been to Physical Therapy (which hurt worse than it helped).

I just want to get better. How do I get through this and be able to go back to work? A big part of my problem is the amount of time spent driving to and from work -- well over an hour each way. And I don't have a "desk job" either...I'm up and down all day long. Any advice?
  2. opala

opala New Member

After tons and tons of tests and doctors and poking and prodding I've finally been diagnosed with FM. Due to the constant pain (and the inability to walk some days) I've been out of work on short-term disability. However, neither my PC doc nor my Rheumatologist wants to recommend disability, and no one has been able to make me better (at least well enough to drive) I've been on over 20 different medications. I've been to Physical Therapy (which hurt worse than it helped).

I just want to get better. How do I get through this and be able to go back to work? A big part of my problem is the amount of time spent driving to and from work -- well over an hour each way. And I don't have a "desk job" either...I'm up and down all day long. Any advice?
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Opala, welcome to our world. Oh, I know we would all like to be cured more than anything else, but as far as my knowledge goes, all we can hope for now is some relief from pain and all that goes with the Fibro.

I went through some of the meds too, but it seems they don't agree with my system. So for the last two years, I have tired a different route, I take supplements, and have great success with them.

My pain is down to a minimum, but I don't work. My husband does. I doubt if I could hold a 9-5 job ever again.

I received a lot of help here on this board, along with reading books, and looking up anything that has to do with this illness.

I hope you fine what works for you soon, we are all so different, some take meds along with supplements, herbs, and their is the Guri treatment that has shown some great strides. Others just take the supplements, other the meds.

I hope this has been of some help, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask, someone will answer you.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. susabar

susabar New Member

I am in the same boat. I believe they tell all patients that they don't recommend disability. I only saw the Rheumotologist once so far ( I am newly diagnosed also ) and he said patients who work do better. That could also mean I don't want to get involved filling out paper work !!!
    I can see if I really push myself that I manage OK and you would really have to push yourself to hold down a job. But what quality of life??? I know for the last year, I have been exhausted, stressed, snappy with people at home...and have had difficulty "keeping up". I didn't know what was wrong with me. I work in a busy Laboratory, where your always doing 5 things at once, while having two people on the phone. I am on short term disability right now too when my body totally protested and the muscle spasms sent me to the ER. I don't believe I can back to that especially now that I had this terrible flare and all my symptoms are intensified. I am going to try to go back to work, if I can't... I can't. My husband is on SSI himself, so I am the main wage earner, and benefit provider. I also do 85% of the household chores, so if I am no longer able to do it all, someone else is going to have to pick up the slack.
    You must take care of you first.... I hope I helped eventhough I mostly spouted off about myself
    GOOD LUCK
    Sue