How Do You Handle Collectors??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by luv2float, Aug 6, 2008.

1. luv2float

luv2float New Member

Needless to say, I can't work because of this horrible DD!!

I've been waiting for SSDI for 4 1/2 years. I used to have perfect credit.

So now I have lots of unpaid bills and the Collectors are driving me crazy. My credit is now terrible. I don't own anything and I've had to pawn most of my stuff to get my meds. I'm even having to live with my parents now.

What do you tell these Collectors that won't leave you alone????

Please help.
  2. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

Boy, do I sympathize with you. I am essentially homeless, and the only thing I own is a car, and that will be my next home if I can't stay at my friend's house free forever.

Just be firm. The hospital wanted to know if I could pay $25.00, I said NO, $10.00, then they said, well, we will set it at $19.00 and I said NO, $10.00. She then said, well, I put in $19.00 so you can pay more if you have it. They get $10.00 from me every month.

Have you called each company and told them your situation? Have you tried an attorney or credit counseling? I know you don't have any money for paying your bills, there might be some company that will help you not have to pay them for a while.

Good luck. I think this is the hardest part of this great DD. Bleah.

Good Luck. Lillie

3. dc1980

dc1980 New Member

I know what you mean, I had good credit once too ;o(

First thing when collectors call now, I have there #'s programmed in because it is like clock work the days they call.

I do answer, then I tell them I am 100% disabled, I have no money, I am not trying to dodge paying my bills but there is no way possible to pay if I do not have income. I tell them I have an attorney working to get me on SSDI and if they would like the phone # I will give it to them. I have done that a few times. I am always polite even when they are not. After I have said what I have to say, I tell them, Thank you very much I have to go now and then hang up.

Mostly it is dang medical bills from the ER. I think 5 bills totalling $900.00.

** A lill shady but even though I am married and my husband works, I do not tell them that because the bills are in my name and we just can't afford anymore right now**

I hate bills ugggggggg,
  4. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

The FDCPA clearly defines the rules that bill collectors and even collection attorneys must obey when collecting debts. Many states have their own laws similar to the FDCPA and some of these laws also define collection rules for creditors collecting their own debts.

Under the FDCPA you can reduce or stop these calls. You have to provide written notice. I am at work today and I am not feeling really great or I would provide a link for the instructions on how to do this. However, if you google FDCRP or "how to stop collections calls" you can find the exact requirements necessary to get them to stop calling you. This is your RIGHT under the law.

As for me, I have caller ID and don't answer the phone when I don't recognize the number and I delete all their messages. I live in Texas and the worse they can do (and have done) is trash my credit. I live on cash and don't even own my car. I'm fortunate I can still work, but a ton of my salary goes to my ex for child support (I'm the rare woman who pays, my ex is Satan himself) and back taxes.

All I want to do is go home and go to bed, ain't life grand!