How Do You Handle Your Kids?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hippo, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Hi, I have two kids with ADHD/ODD/OCD. Having CFS/FM, it is almost impossible for me to care for them. Does anyone have any coping strategies? Thanks.

Hippo
  2. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Hi, I have two kids with ADHD/ODD/OCD. Having CFS/FM, it is almost impossible for me to care for them. Does anyone have any coping strategies? Thanks.

Hippo
  3. Ness

Ness New Member

I have a son with ADHD and I can relate to the frustration... There are times I just want to curl into a ball and disappear.Are your children on Medication??? The one thing that helped my son the most besides the Adderall and Zoloft....is TAE KWON DO...

The martial arts helped him with learning respect and discipline and gave him something that rewarded him for his hard work.

He was Proud of himself and calmed down alot..started listening better too.

This year he is in Football.....Keeping him busy and doing something physical outside the home has been my saving grace...... I hope this helps you some..please feel free to email me anytime...vmcpherson@carolina.rr.com

Peace and Rainbows
    Ness
    [This Message was Edited on 10/02/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/02/2002]
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Hi Hippo--
    Ness reply to your post is excellent advice---I was a martial arts instructor (before FMS and CFS) for years. We always had a large number of young students who had the same challenges you mentioned. Many of these students excelled in this environment, going on to earn their black belts, and more importantly a great sense of accomplishment.
    Because of the fast pace of the classes, and a venue to use energy, and the self discipline instilled it is a worthwhile venture. Please be sure to find a school, that has worked with these type of children, as well as has a high younster enrollment. Some dojo's cater to adults...and that would not be a workable situation.
    karen
  5. witsend

witsend New Member

I have been sick for many years and it would help to know the ages of your kids. But when mine were small (one severe ADHD) there were a few things that I kept up my sleeve for when I would be literally collapsed on the couch. I had a box with tons of playdough and all the cookie cutters and accessories I could find and out it would come to the kitchen table. The mess was worth the hour or two it would buy me. The secret was only letting them have access to it occasionally. The paint with water books also only came out at special times and kept my daughter frantically painting at least an hour. And steal naps even if short anytime you can get someone else to watch them. Even 20 minutes in a dark quiet room can give you the boost to see that day to the finish line. Good Luck!