How do you have the energy to travel to LLMD?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by sorekitty, Jun 24, 2008.

1. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

Okay, I am slowly but surely moving towards seeing an LLMD and getting tested. I saw the article in the Self magazine that was mentioned on the board. I e-mailed Turn the Corner and got a list of LLMDs.

Most of the doctors were in Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Malibu. Only one is in San Diego.

On mapquest it would be 40 miles one way to the San Diego Dr. and would take about 50 minutes (I supposed without traffic).

I do not like driving anymore. It wears me out. The trip there and long appointment then it will be hard for me to have the energy to get back. I'm worried.

How do you all do it? I have a 6 year old son with autism that is very high needs and takes most my energy. I cannot ask my dh because he has to work very hard and helps out a lot with our son already and both his ailing (dying) parents.

I had to do a ton of stuff for my son and this has been on the back burner. I have decided though that it is time for me now to move forward with this.

Please, any help greatly appreciated.
    Molly

2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

You'd still need a taxi or rental car on the other end, of course, but it would save on the driving.

My doctor is 7 hours drive. But I've been lucky that my DH has been able to take time off and to do most of the driving on my appointment trips. I always make a morning appointment, so we drive there one day, then see the doctor and drive back the next. It's still exhausting.

Good luck on figuring out a way!

Janelle
  3. angrob75

angrob75 New Member

I am lucky because my husband was able to go with me for my first appt, i am not able to drive out of town by myself.....if it comes to it and my husband will not be able to go sometime i will start asking or (begging) people or what ever i need to do to get to that appointment, to hopefully get this stuff behind me. Maybe you can ask a friend or something and even if you have to take your time and stop a few times the trip should be worth it.
    good luck
  4. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

everything changed with just one phone call (lol)! The LLMD has a wait list and ta da. . . . I am number 125 on the list!!!!!

So, I asked if there was anyone else. They are sending me a packet of info about naturopaths and things I can do while I am waiting.

I called a doctor they recommended and he is closer to me. He is going away on vacation but they were able to fit me in tomorrow! Do you think this means he is not a good dr? He doesn't take insurance maybe that is why he isn't booked. He gives a super bill that you send into your insurance. Don't you notice more and more doctors doing that? It is 24 miles and says 29 minutes but on I-5 should be more like 50 mins. But I guess I am really fortunate compared to most of you. I cannot take my son with me (it wouldn't work) so luckily my hubby will take care of him tomorrow.

There is no train inland only the coaster which goes all the way from where I live to downtown SD. I will drive tomorrow see how it goes but then may look into train since the 2nd dr is on the coast.

I'm scared and excited all at once.

Molly

5. angrob75

angrob75 New Member

that is wonderful! everything happens for a reason and maybe this is your answer to a prayer!
    Good luck and keep us posted
    Ang