How do you identify food intolerances when...rop

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelbo, Apr 2, 2009.

1. shelbo

shelbo New Member

a food can cause problems up to 3 days later? I never understand how people here know that they have food intolerances.. I just can't seem to work out what bothers me and what doesn't... I guess it's much easier if the intolerance is wheat or dairy but how do you know if you have a more obscure intolerance? I eat 3 meals a day with snacks so I don't know how I'll ever figure this out...
    A Confused Shelbo :)
  2. turquoise

turquoise Member

I did a blood test for delayed food allergies several years ago, and came up with nine foods to which I apparently still react, because I get clear-cut symptoms if I try to add re-introduce them. There were numerous foods on the list that were supposed to be okay that I knew I couldn't touch however. I used a lab. called Immunopro. There are otheres like Sage, and ELISA/ACT (supposedly the best according to some people).
    It didn't solve all my problems to say the least. The one thing it did do, was all but wipe out IBS for quite awhile.
    The test I did was $900 at the time, and Blue Cross would not cover it.
  3. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I used a combo on techniques ... My stool test showed that I'm allergic to gluten and egg whites but NOT dairy yet when I eat dairy for a few days in a row, I get dark circles around my eyes. Dairy once in awhile doesn't bother me at all though ... And as far as I can tell, I don't have any reaction to egg whites.

It takes awhile to really see what's happening to in some cases and sometimes it's immediate. I think that's why they say to rotate those foods that you don't have a clear cut reaction too.

Try not to get frustrated. I know it's easier said than done.

4. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Shelbo, yes, there are delayed food allergies and intolerances.

Keep a food diary. Include in it time of day eaten and quantity. Also record when symptoms occur, what they are, and give a 1 -10 scoring on severity. Remember to record snacks, beverages, and supplements. But if you are not getting clues from food diary ...

Testing is another route to go. $900 is very expensive for food allergy testing. Meridian Valley Labs in WA has a 94-panel test for under $150. It is combo IgE & IgG (two diff types of allergy responses). There are a number of other labs that do food allergy testing for under $300.

Do some research on the methodology of doing dietary exclusion & challenge. This is different from the above. You start with the diary, esp. symptoms for 2 weeks, while on your regular diet, to get a baseline.

Then you 100% exclude ONE food type (say citrus). Time for exclusion varies, depending on the expert. Generally at least 1 month, however with gluten & dairy, 6 mos. is recommended. Keep recording other foods in your FD. As well as symptoms.

Following the exclusion period, for that ONE food type, you do a challenge. Challenges are usually in the range of 3-6 servings of the challenge food in 24 hrs. Keep the rest of the diet to your standard.

IF the excluded food was an offender, you should have seen a decrease in symptoms over the exclusion period. And once the food is challenged, you would see the symptoms flare, perhaps immediately but typically within 4 days.

Unfortunately, when people have multiple intolerances, the food diary & exclusion/challenge method may be frustrating.

[This Message was Edited on 04/02/2009]
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

As a mom of a two-year-old with egg and nut allergies, I was encouraged to read about a study offering hopeful news for food allergy sufferers. NPR reports today that the increasingly common condition might be less prevalent than is believed.

A large percentage of children who are diagnosed with food allergies may in fact be able to tolerate the foods they have been avoiding, according to a study conducted by National Jewish Health in Denver. The study, presented at the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology in Washington, D.C., found that more than half of 125 children who were given a "food challenge" test did not react to the the substances to which they were supposedly allergic.

Jack Littauer, of Henderson, NV, was one participant in the study. When he was 6 months old, his parents believed he had a reaction to canned creamed spinach, so they took him to the ER and then to an allergist, who diagnosed him with severe allergies to wheat, eggs, dairy, and peanuts.

After 3 years of avoiding those foods, Jack's mother Christy wasn't convinced that he had all of those allergies, and she still had questions about his asthma. The family traveled to Denver for a full evaluation at National Jewish. Under the direct supervision of a doctor, Jack ate wheat-based foods during the challenge and did not have a reaction.

According to experts, this sort of overdiagnosis is fairly common. Dr. David Fleischer, an assistant profession at National Jewish Health, says that "the only true test of whether you're allergic to a food is whether you can eat that food." Testing methods such as the "prick" or "scratch" tests may indicate a tendency toward an allergy, but he says "it doesn't mean you're actually allergic."

No one test gives the full picture, so many experts recommend that all of the tests--blood, prick, and food challenge--be given to a patient. A complete history of a patient's exposure and prior reactions is also necessary for an accurate diagnosis.

Our daughter has had multiple and obvious reactions after eating eggs and peanuts, so we're certain that her allergies weren't misdiagnosed. However, if you have questions about your own child's condition, it might be helpful to consult your allergist and ask about having him or her undergo the full battery of tests, if only for your own peace of mind. Please, however, don't risk your child's health by giving them foods they've been asked to avoid just to see if they will be tolerated. This is something that should only be done under a physician's supervision.
  6. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Do you have a copy of that study ? I was wondering if they take into account that we have allergy buckets and when those are full then we're going to have a reaction.

My DD was diagnosed as severely allergic to peanuts when she was 16, but being a teenager, the decided to test her limits. Through years of trial and error she figured out that if her allergen load was high or she had too much, she would have a reaction but not otherwise.

My sister is the same way when it comes to chocolate. And I'm this way when it comes to dairy. Too much and I'll react to it ...

BTW. My DD had a severe reaction to the skin prick test for peanuts but was negative on the RAST and positive on reaction most of the time ... consequently, I don't trust these tests or the doctors clinging to them anymore.

7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Yes, I will definitely post the study but it will have to be tomorrow as it is very late.

Interesting about the bucket theory. It does make sense. I had not heard about this before.

It is tricky to diagnose food allergies. Hopefully in the future there will be a better way to diagnose these problems.

While the three different test increase the odds of the test being reliable, it is not a perfect system.

Sorry about your daughter's bad reaction.

Take care.
  8. restauranthell

restauranthell New Member

I have had good luck with my severe food allergies using a lab called ALCAT.
    Best wishes.