How do you keep yourself positive with this DD ? HELP!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Sometimes I go through a period of feeling sorry for myself and all I can't do and seem to have lost and will probably never get back. I used to be such an active person, going all the time, thin, had a REAL life etc. now I am in pain, fat, depressed because of this dd and all it has done to me. I feel so isolated half the time and alone.
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I know how you feel. I've gained so much weight and am in such pain right now. I don't feel I've lost anything but I do feel isolated as to the psychological impact this DD has on me. I'm trying so hard to find what will work for me. But I never know from one day to the next how I'll feel. The best we can do is keep plugging along. Sometimes, if it's at all possible, what can help us to get out of this funk is to do something for somebody else. Volunteer someplace - stuff envelopes - make some phone calls. Anything. I know it's hard, but if we can get outside of ourselves we can break that cycle of thinking of us so much and instead do something for someone else. Does this make sense?

Annette2
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And if you bring it up, there are some good suggestions from our members on staying positive. Negativity feeds on itself and takes on a life of its own. Good for you for looking for ways to stay positive.

Love, Mikie
  4. I guess its just one of those days, I suppose we all have them once in awhile. Thanks for all your thoughts.
    Sorry Mikie ,I didn't see your post on this subject. I haven't been on the computer too much lately. I do miss alot when I am not on my computer and checking this board.
    Thanks everyone!
    Fibrobutterfly
  5. Takesha

Takesha New Member

We all have our differnt methods, but I keep telling myself to be willing to work out-side the box. What I mean is, I had this "mental" box filled with all the things I could do, wanted to do, and thought I could do. Having Fibro wasn't in it, and "nixed" a great part of what WAS in it. I had to get a new box, and fill it with new things. Humans are remarkable beings, we really are very versitle, and great adapters...if you can look at it as an opportunity to "expand" yourself, you can find all sorts of things that you might enjoy, that you would not have thought of before.At first it's like trying a new vegatable, you smell it, twirl it around your plate and think "I'm not trying that!" and then, the first nibble isn't so bad, not great, but not as bad as you thought it would be...and then you find you like it. You probably discover a whold new you that you didn't know was there.
    Hope this helps.
    Takesha
  6. toots2

toots2 New Member

I cannot exercise and get so tired of my dr. trying to insist that I do. If I could, I certainly would, I tell him and would love it. I would give anything to be able to take a nice long walk on these beautiful cool evenings we are now having but would only end up in pain. I am active though. I have four grandchildren that live down the street and they swim with me all summer. Yes, I can swim but end up hurting from that too. My daughter just had identical twin girls and I help her with them. I refuse to stay in all the time and like someone said earlier I get out if only to go to a bookstore and browse. We have friends over and we visit them. My girlfriends come over and we sit on the porch at night. My husband and I love going to movies and we do this often. We grill out and invite people over. My husband helps me a lot. Without him I couldn't do most of the things I enjoy now. I refuse to become a recluse and give into this disease. While I hurt most of the time, the pain medication helps and enables me to live as normal a life as possible. I have had to give up a lot of things I use to enjoy but have replaced with with other things I like doing. Don't take to the couch even though there are days we all have to. Just get out and about and enjoy your life as much as you possibly can. It is the best suggestion I can give you. Toots
  7. try and get out and do things. One of the worst things you can do for this dd is lay in bed or sit all day, it makes it worse. I can't exercise either or I pay big time but when I feel better I do more , when I don't I take it easier.