How do you know a HERX is really a HERX?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AJME, Aug 28, 2003.

1. AJME

AJME New Member

Dear All,

I keep reading about people Herxing on here. I have Herxed myself.....I think?

I'm wondering if we might mistake a Herx for a sensitivity reaction to the medicine/supplement we take? OR just our bodies being the same ole, same ole.

How can truly know if a Herx is truly a Herx?

Thanks!
  2. jkd7058

jkd7058 New Member

I've seen it refered to but I've never asked what it is.
  3. dove1

dove1 New Member

her directly.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can almost bet it's a Herx Effect/healing crisis if you have recently started any kind of treatment which might cause a dieoff of pathogens. This can include supplements which cause a change in the system's environment which makes it difficult for the pathogens to thrive. If you have a lot of sensitivities to meds and supplements, you might suspect an allergic reaction, but the chances are better that it's a Herx.

If the Herxing lasts too long or is too severe, cut way back on the med or supplement. See if this will work for you.

If you develop a rash, labored breathing, or any other serious reaction, stop the med or supplement. These are indications of an allergic reaction.

Herxing usually makes one feel very tired, fluish, achy, headachy, and almost always brings on diarrhea. The diarrhea may look completely different and usually has a very putrid odor. It's dead and rotting material being excreted. Nausea may accompany a Herx. See Madwolf's post on Herxing for a remedy for the nausea. You may also feeling either a burning sensation or chills with a Herx. When I Herx with the ABX, it is always accompanied by a burning sensation in my torse. When I Herx with the Famvir, I get chills. After you are on something long enough, you get to know the little telltale signs of Herxing.

Herxing is due to massive killoff and probably is a combination of having dead toxic matter in our systems and the result of our own immune system cleaning house. Drinking lots of water will flush these toxins out faster.

Hope this helps.

Love, Mikie