How do you know if you have a sleep disorder??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marcus1243, Dec 3, 2002.

1. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Apart from the obvious one of not being able to get to sleep, is it possible to tell if you're not getting the right kind of sleep? (i.e. restorative/delta phase during which growth and repair hormones are most active) I often wake up feeling achy and stiff, and with the sensation that I've been beaten with baseball bats all night, yet strangely, I sleep quite soundly and not much disturbs me (apart from an overactive bladder or a numb hand sometimes). The only thing I would say is that I always wake with clockwork precision at 9.15 am each morning -- which means either I have an ususually accurate body clock or that I'm not truly asleep...?
    Just wondered if anybody has any info on this. Sleep disorders seem very much at the heart of many Fibro symptoms.
    Marcus
  2. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Apart from the obvious one of not being able to get to sleep, is it possible to tell if you're not getting the right kind of sleep? (i.e. restorative/delta phase during which growth and repair hormones are most active) I often wake up feeling achy and stiff, and with the sensation that I've been beaten with baseball bats all night, yet strangely, I sleep quite soundly and not much disturbs me (apart from an overactive bladder or a numb hand sometimes). The only thing I would say is that I always wake with clockwork precision at 9.15 am each morning -- which means either I have an ususually accurate body clock or that I'm not truly asleep...?
    Just wondered if anybody has any info on this. Sleep disorders seem very much at the heart of many Fibro symptoms.
    Marcus
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

The most accurate way to ascertain what levels of sleep and how often they occur during the night is to have your doc arrange a sleep study Marcus. Usually waking unrefreshed (the Mac truck visited in the nite), is a good indication that something is amiss. Many sufferers of this disorder, although they have received plenty of hours of sleep--do not get the restoritive sleep they need. It's more a question of quality, not quantity.
    Karen
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

there is just NO way I could do this~~I would be dead, I'm sure. I think I know I have a problem and I just won't have a sleep study if I have to go without my meds for that long!
    Love,
    Kady
  5. Mariah

Mariah New Member

I go right into dreaming just as soon as I start drifting off to sleep and anytime I happen to wake up in the night I am in the middle of a dream then, too. So does that mean that I am getting my stage 4 sleep? I feel like I got beat by baseball bats when I wake up and don't feel rested, either.. but if I'm dreaming all the time then that dept is okay? I'm confused (as always! LOL)
  6. sofy

sofy New Member

Immediate dreaming is rem sleep. Immediate dreaming and non restorative sleep is one of the signs of narcolopsy. A sleep study is done in a certified lab. You go in and they wire everything including your legs. (looking for restless leg syndrome)I was also video taped. If the night time study indicates problems they keep you the next day. Up for two hrs., 20min nap, wake you up and over for 5 naps. This is called a mslt test and they are looking to see how fast you fall asleep and if you go into rem sleep during the naps. I had this test and it was torture. Trying to stay awake between the naps was unbearable with no stimulants. If you go for this study be sure the lab is certified. If they arent certified they really dont have the expertise to interperate the data.