How do you know if you have hypercoagulation?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bunchy, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I have had blood tests after a few odd viruses I have had over the past few years which brought about allergic reactions.

Each time the sed rate came back high.

Does this mean I *DON'T* have hypercoagulation issues?

In other words is the sed rate the main indicator of hypercoagulation or is it a different test that tells you?

Confused....

Bunchy x
  2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

here's a bump in case someone else wants to contribute....
  3. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

anyone know? Mikie?
  4. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

When I got my blood test results from FFC, they told me I did NOT have hypercoagulation. The tests they looked at were:

PTT - how thin blood is
    Fibrinogen - for coagulation defects

Sorry I can't tell you more than that. Those comments were all I had written in my FFC notes. Maybe you could do a search on PTT or Fibrinogen.

Good Luck!
    Katy
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Didn't know the SED rate had anything to do w/ it, but there are tests for Fibrinogen, Quantitative. Thought there was another on my last set of tests, but can't remember which. Mine shows normal, but I was taking protein digestive enzymes which thin and clean up the blood for starters, but i also read that standard tests aren't refined enough to pick it up in us most of the time, because there are several facets to the coagulation cascade that aren't routinely tested for by regular labs.

Go to Ken Lassesen's site at http://www.lassesen.com, and he talks about hypercoagulation problems extensively. He, and his wife and 2 kids all came down w/ CFS/FM/MCS and are mostly treated for it, so his site is an info gold mine.

jeanne
    [This Message was Edited on 02/22/2006]
  6. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Bunchy, my ppt test was slightly high, but it wasn't until I had two ischemic events that I could talk the Doctors into testing me for hypercoagulation. I have a family medical history with many clots...anyway, they(Hemotologist) did test me for clotting disorders. Sure enough, I had three of them. Now I take blood thinners. Apparently this isn't something they do easily although it's a simple blood test...simple on my end, don't know about theirs. You can always ask your doctor. Is there other reason to suspect a clotting disorder?
    H