How Do You Know That You Are Getting Ready to Flare?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Jan 20, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

How Do You Know That You Are Getting Ready to Flare?

- Physical stress of repetitive motion

- Increased pain & stiffness

- Emotional stress

- Weather conditions

- Hormonal changes

- Overdoing exercise

- Micro-traumas to the muscles

- Sleeplessness

- Headaches

- Irritable bowel symptoms

- Other illnesses

- Loss of energy

- Loss of ability to contribute time to meaningful activites

- Loss of roles within the family

- Sadness-depression

- Anger

- Out of control

- Ethical delimmas

- Under pressure

- Mental confusion

- Lightheadedness

- Numbness or extra tingling in hands or feet

- Pain pain pain

- UV Rays – sunlight

- Chemicals

- Certain medications

- A sudden increase in symptoms

If you develop a personal flare-up management plan, it will help you to reduce your sense of helplessness.

That means: Make a list of things you can do and like to do while you are down. Get a great sloppy romance novel or a suspenseful mystery that you’ve been wanting to read. Bring your address book up to date so it’ll be ready for Christmas cards and the same thing for birth dates. Organize picture albums. Call all those people that you never have time to get caught up with (they don’t have to know you are down). Get a journal started, great time to start journaling, and hopefully you will keep it up.

Journals are a great way to keep track of your flares, what might have brought them on, your meds, your thoughts when you’re flaring, or your feelings about you medical team.

Any more ideas?

Written by: Carolyn Glein
  2. momwinterwhite

momwinterwhite New Member

I have realized that almost every time before a bad flare
    up I become extreamly fatigued.just as though the bottom
    falls out.if i am at work i have to sit down right then and can barely make it through the day.Then I know when I get home I will be in terriable pain.I am new to this message
    board ,but I have had fibro for years also the brain fog
    gets worse around these times and my words dont come out
    right either out of order or missing parts like one day i
    asked my son to hand me a poon.{spoon} I am so glad I found
    this message board it is good to know other people can
    relate to the facts that I am not completly crazy.
    God Bless All of you who suffer this terriable disease.
    GG
  3. blkkat

blkkat New Member

thanks! good idea! me, i feel like i m getting the FLU!!!!! but then i never feel like im ever out of a flare! HUGS! MONA
  4. Megumi

Megumi New Member

Besides the usual fatigue, brain fog and messing up words, I have two other sure "Signs"..

deep coughing

the pad on my right palm gets red and blotchy.

I'm curios, does anyone else get that red blotchy palm?
  5. danaDoo

danaDoo New Member

You are the first one I have takled with that has this red blotchy palm thing . One doctor told me that its due to a difency of estrogen ?????

Dana
  6. momwinterwhite

momwinterwhite New Member

I never associated this with fibro but the palm of my
    hands always become red and itchy also.
    love gg
  7. ellikers

ellikers New Member

My throat gets really scratchy and sore, and all my glands swell up even more than usual and feel sore. Those are my clues.
  8. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

when I start getting a sore throat I know I'm in for trouble.....also, I get cranky and little things annoy me. When that happens I go to my bedroom and close the door, get in bed with a good book and a pot of hot tea.
  9. jaime13

jaime13 New Member

when a bad flare is coming on the inside of my knees hurt, my neck hurts and is very stiff, my sleeping becomes worse then usual, then the flare comes and everything hurts and I can't move.Thank-you God haven't hhad one in a while. with any luck the combination of drugs I'm on will keep working. Jaime13
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

I cry very easily ... and then can't stop crying!
  11. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

My flare started in November. I go a little better the second half of Dec, but now I am not well. I have been crying since November several times a day and cannot stop. Maybe the flare triggers depression. I have to work and it is so darn hard. This is the worst flare I had in three years. Up until now I have been just dealing with pain. But right now I just feel sick, week and tired all the time. Kind of like you do with the flu. Right now I do not even have that much pain. Other the symptoms, include muscle twitches, burning, muscle weakness, pain behind my eyes, nausea and these horrible flushes I have described in my other thread. The nights get longer, the fog gets thicker, the words get scrambled, I do not know whether I am coming or going. The house needs to be cleaned, the bills need to be paid...The Christmas tree needs to be taken down. So that is how I know I have a flare.