How do you know when it is time to file for SSD/SSI?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by steach, Aug 9, 2009.

1. steach

steach Member

I am just in the begining stages to gather some information.

How do you know when it it is time to file for SSD/SSI? What criteria do the judges want to see? What do you have to prove?

My condtition(s) are getting worse and I don't want to wait until I am "homebound" and not even able to work part-time. I can not work full-time at this point.

What do I need to do to initiate the process? I am clueless.

2. outdoorsy girl

outdoorsy girl New Member medical leave act.

this site explains how to file and the law pertaining to fmla

according to law, you cannot be fired for using this.

this was crucial to my gave me time and a paycheck to "stop," rest and decide my next steps.

good luck.

3. steach

steach Member

I tried reading the disability message board, and am a reasonably intelligent person, but, I coulen't understand the lingo that was being used. It was way above my comprehension.

I just need to know exactly what to do step-by-step, LITERALLY. I feel like a real a$$. I feel like a little kid, who someone needs to say," Okay, put your socks on. Now put your shoes on. Now criss-cross your shoelaces and tie them tight."

This is all so new to me.

I have been working part-time substituting since I haven't been able to teach full-time; and have had to call-off from that!! Thank God they still keep me b/c they know of my condition(s). I used to be able to do it all. But thanks to these dd's, they have stolen my life.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions and responding.

4. steach

steach Member

I had used all of the FMLA time that was permitted- that is why I am now substituting instead of teaching full-time. It does not apply to part-time employees. That is how I kept my full-time job until it ran out. I do appreciate you suggestion, though.

5. jaynesez

jaynesez New Member

google "scott davis disability" and you'll come to a site for a lawyer in AZ; it is one of the most informative sites I've ever seen regarding SSDI. I'm in FL so I couldn't hire him if I wanted to but he has a great deal of articles and advice on there. I got the site from reading other posts on here, plus you can click on the disability tab up top of the message board, but its hard to read through all those. I found his website much easier and tons of good advice. I'm in the same boat, struggling to keep working, it is killing me but in this economy I'm glad to have a job, and terrified to leave it! sigh....
  6. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Definitely start keeping a journal of symptoms like someone stated above. You bring that into whatever doctors you see.

Everything is listed step-by-step here at Prohealth. There are many articles written by Disability Lawyers here. Just hit the Home Key above then select Articles in the Search Box and type in Disability.

The only thing I don't agree with in the articles is that they say you need a lawyer. Keep in mind, these articles are all written by lawyers.