how do you know when to slow down...and how slow?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mq, Sep 26, 2002.

1. mq

mq New Member

Do you slow down when you start feeling that "unnatural" tired, when you start to ache, or what? And how slow do you go--to bed, or just work w/ less intesity?
    newly dx'ed CFS
    w/ 7 home educated children!:)
  2. mq

mq New Member

Do you slow down when you start feeling that "unnatural" tired, when you start to ache, or what? And how slow do you go--to bed, or just work w/ less intesity?
    newly dx'ed CFS
    w/ 7 home educated children!:)
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

learning to pace myself and make my loved ones understand why I have to are the hardest things I've had to learn! I go full steam ahead until I crash for days. I have today off from work, as well as tomorrow, so today, I veg. and tomorrow I'll clean house for a couple of hours. Then I can go to work at 6:30 a.m. Saturday without feeling exhausted.
    This is necessary. One thing I won't forget is that, if I overdo, I WILL pay for it!
    Live and learn!
    Kady
  4. gentlee

gentlee New Member

The books say we must stop BEFORE we get tired, and that is really hard to do. When I have not done that, I feel a kind of tingly, headache-coming-on kind of fatigue, and my limbs start to droop, then I know it's too late and have to lie down for a long rest. It mainly happens when I stack up activities without resting in between. Resting little and often works well (even 10 mins). Also planning rest days or hours between events, and resisting the temptation to throw in extra ones on the way. One thing at a time. When you rest, make sure it is total rest, maybe in the dark (not watching TV, not reading, or talking etc). Light and sound really affect me.

Hope this helps
    Liz
  5. dianep

dianep New Member

the best advice i got when i asked this questions was when you feel like you can take the world by the tail only do 1/4 of what you think you can do...yeah i know, how do you know how much that is? trial and error, i think we have all done lots of trial and error to find out where our happy medium is...hope this helps
  6. teach6

teach6 New Member

Welcome to the board. I also have CFIDS, plus FMS and Neurally Mediated Hypotension.

Liz gave you good advice. I've learned that I feel best when I schedule rest into my days. At one point I needed to rest between 30 minutes and an hour and a half out of every two hours.

Now I am to the point I need to rest at least once a day, usually in the afternoon, for at least an hour, sometimes more. I also do better when I limit my activities.

If I am having a good day I am like everyone else, I want to do all the things I can't do on a bad day. But I try to resist the urge because I know if I do that I'll end up in bed the next day and maybe even longer.

I found that logging helped me figure out how often I need to rest as well as how well a new med is working and what things make me feel worse. Since we are each individual in how we react to everything we each have to go through a lot of trial and error before we find what works best for us.

I wish you luck in figuring out what works best for you.

Barbara

7. mq

mq New Member

It has been the hardest part of this...my mom says since I was 14, I'd always add "one more thing"...I even push it when I go w/ my kids...if all 7 are being good, I always think that means we can make one more stop! Thanks for your guidance.
    Several of you have asked...I was just diagnosed about 3 weeks ago.
    mq
  8. xanderlee

xanderlee New Member

Thank you for asking this question..I was diagnosed 5 weeks ago and have had no idea how to pace myself..spending more time stuck on sofa than off it at the moment...I just do not know how to stop...and my youngest is only two...and I have been working a 7 day week...not anymore...
    Feeling very frustrated at the moment, and angry with myself, but I suppose we will get there eventually wont we???
    With hope

gaynor