How do you know you are herxing?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Michelle_NZ, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Before joining this board 6 months ago I had never heard of the term herx. I've read so many posts from people to say they are herxing, but how do you know?

I've always just thought that with CFS and FM that my symptoms come and go and increase and decrease in intensity - sometimes as a result of something I've done, and sometimes for no apparent reason at all.

So, my question is, how do you know you are herxing? Does it feel different to a "normal" increase in symptoms? How soon does a herx happen after you've taken something.

To be honest, sometimes I just have no idea what has caused me to feel worse on any given day or hour.

Thanks
    Michelle
  2. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Thank you for your post as I think this is what is happening to me now. My dr (DO in integrative medicine) just put me on Lactoferrin/Colustrum to help with my CFS.

Within a day I was feeling fluish (maybe this was first from the CFS) but after a morning with foul stools (pardon me for the graphic) I felt somewhat better stomach wise, but still feel feverish (I don't have a fever) and just tired and achy.

I assume you have to feel worse before better. There have been times that I would stop a treatment because I didn't want to go through the herx but then never got better.

When taking a supplement all the time, will we ever feel better or will the herx continue indefinately? Always wondered!

T
  3. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Thanks for the encouragement. I've been told to take Elderberry, Tumeric, Lactoferrin and other supplements, as well as Xlear nasal spray and now told to buy Colloidal Silver nasal spray. It just seems so much along with my daily vitamins and probiotics. I like your idea of rotating and taking a week off.

Also, I'm to start St. John's Wort for my anxiety. Have you used this and did it cause any stomach upset for you?

Thanks again,
    T
  4. shell

shell New Member

in simple terms... as I cannot for the life of me remember all of the scientific ones...

I think the virus or other sits in your body and is not recognized by your body. When you find something be it drug or herb etc. that will find and kill off that virus or other .... the excess of the bad things dying off and being in your system (let's call them toxins) cause you to feel sicker before you get better.

Michelle
  5. shell

shell New Member

OK I missed the entire long paragraph above my post which explained that much better then I did!!
  6. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Thanks for your responses... I think I need to start paying closer attention to my symptoms and what I'm taking. I'm still not really sure how this herxing thing works.

Thanks and take care
    Michelle
  7. ChristineInPA

ChristineInPA New Member

And how long does it last?

I'm thinking I would rather feel crappy-to-horrible than to go through the "purging" festivities, unless all of that nastiness makes me feel "normal" for a good long time.

8. ChristineInPA

ChristineInPA New Member

Personally, my depression increased. Same thing happened with my best friend.

If some people get relief from it, that's great.