How do you know you have fibromayalgia or CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Laura12, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Laura12

Laura12 New Member

I'm 27 years old and have 2 children and have been dealing with all of the symptons of fibromyalgia and CFS for about 8 months. After going to the doctor and having a series of blood tests and other various tests done and everything turning out normal I am getting extremely frustrated because my current internest will not listen to my complaints. Let me just add that I have had no other health problems up until 8 months ago and have felt great up until 8 months ago, so my symptoms are fairly new. I am not even sure what questions I should be asking a doctor or who to go to see since this is all so new to me. All I know is that basically I am a self diagnosed case at this point. I just feel so bad all of the time. Chronic headaches, chest pain, muscle sensitivity, fatigue, nausea, and an overall sense of malaise or feeling almost flu-like. Some days I seem to be "OK" and then others I feel almost completely debilitated. I never know when it is going to strike. This is especially difficult when trying to take care of a 1 and 2 year old all day. I guess my main question to anyone out there is how did you discover you had this disease? I just need some help because my current doctor keeps telling me that all of my blood work and everything is fine but I feel really bad most of the time. Can anyone offer me some advice?
  2. Laura12

Laura12 New Member

I'm 27 years old and have 2 children and have been dealing with all of the symptons of fibromyalgia and CFS for about 8 months. After going to the doctor and having a series of blood tests and other various tests done and everything turning out normal I am getting extremely frustrated because my current internest will not listen to my complaints. Let me just add that I have had no other health problems up until 8 months ago and have felt great up until 8 months ago, so my symptoms are fairly new. I am not even sure what questions I should be asking a doctor or who to go to see since this is all so new to me. All I know is that basically I am a self diagnosed case at this point. I just feel so bad all of the time. Chronic headaches, chest pain, muscle sensitivity, fatigue, nausea, and an overall sense of malaise or feeling almost flu-like. Some days I seem to be "OK" and then others I feel almost completely debilitated. I never know when it is going to strike. This is especially difficult when trying to take care of a 1 and 2 year old all day. I guess my main question to anyone out there is how did you discover you had this disease? I just need some help because my current doctor keeps telling me that all of my blood work and everything is fine but I feel really bad most of the time. Can anyone offer me some advice?
  3. metoo110

metoo110 New Member

there are no lab type test to see if you have fibro. or myofascial pain. they have to press on certain spots on your body and if they hurt or are tender then you could possiably have this.

you are suppost to test possitive, up to 18 of these known tender spots to have these condtions.
    you could go to where it says library up at the top of this board and type in tender spots or testing for fibro and see what info comes up. there is lots of info on this board. someone more up on this than i will hopfully come alone with better info for you.

wishing you the best, and WELCOME!!!!!!!
    donna
  4. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

many of us have had trouble getting a dx because too many drs don't understand or choose to believe in fms or cfids. I have both. It's very helpful to keep a journal of symptoms, and for new people, a timeline tracing back to the start of problems. Most times, fms and/or cfids can be traced back to a viral infection, auto accident, or traumatic event. When I figured my timeline, I realized the fatigue (cfids) had started after a viral illness 2 yrs ago, the pains/tingling, etc. (fms) after a viral infection in April of this year.

I'm sure if you've done what Donna says, you've learned some more. The library also has a section on the left with FMS overview/diagnosis, and CFIDS overview/diagnosis. That gives the criteria for a dx and is why the timeline is so important as fms requires 3 months of widespread pain & 11 of the 18 tender points. (For me, I didn't think I had fms cause I didn't think I had the tender points, which the rheumy proved wrong--his exam showed me clearly (ouch!) that I had 16 of the 18. For chronic fatigue, the fatigue has to have been for 6 months, with at least 4 add'l symptoms.

Also check the doctor referral section, it has great tips on preparing for your office visit, and a link to the co-cure board, which lists drs specializing in cfids/fms in your area. If none are listed (as mine was not until I added him last week), post a message here saying what state you're from & asking for recommendations from members here.

Best wishes, keep us posted, definitely sounds like you need dr's opinion, in my opinion...lol Michele
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

to the board Laura. Gald to have you.

The good doctor list is; http://www.co-cure.org/Good-Doc.htm

I have Fibro for 20 plus years, I was diagnosed with Fibrositis, then a few years later it was changed to Fibromyalgia.

When I really found help what when I read a book called;

'Fibromyalgia & Myofascial Pain Syndrome (A Survival Manual)' by Devin Starlanyl, MD.

This doctor has Fibro and did a great job on educating the general public of the symptoms, the pressure points, and what is of some help with medications, diets, supplements etc.

You need to get a copy, and read it. It is a great help.

I think you were told about the Library, and all the other features available here already. I sure hope you use them.

Educating ourselfs is the best way to go, then you can bring your doctor into what you find that will help you.

There is no test other than the tender points on the body where the pain seems to be triggered from.

They will give you all kinds of test to rule out other illnesses.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl