How do you live with shoulder and arm pain, need help please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelby319, May 31, 2006.

1. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

I have tried just about everything to no avail for this excruciating pain in my right shoulder, neck, collar bone, arm area, elbow bone area, down to the hand pain, and nothing and I mean nothing is touching it!

I read another post about myofascial pain?/! I'm not quite sure what that is, but I was wondering the way it was discribed, like knots in the muscles, etc. could be what this is with the FM. I take all kinds of pain medications and muscle relaxants, anti-depressants, vitamins, do yoga, stretching excersies, even the creams for pain and nothing is working! In fact this morning again after I woke up from using the cream my shoulder and arm felt worse than ever, and thats not the first time that part has happened. I had also switched to the on and off with heat and ice instead and still no relief!

I've asked my Dr. about this and he claims its another form of a flair up and gave me a sling to use and increased my dosage of oxycontin.....none of which I wanted nor not the answer I needed either. If your in this much pain, can FM really cause this much and to this extent or level? I'm thinking of all kinds of other stuff that could be wrong with me, or just thinking it has to be something so bad and that it can't possibly be the FM. I'm new to this disease, so please bear with me when it comes to my ignorance about the information or lack of I should say.

My Dr. had first ordered an MRI for just the arm area, so I called the office and said, why not do both the neck and arm area together seeing I was going to have this done anyway. His first comment was if nothing showed up, then we would go back and do the neck area. Hmmmm...that made no sense seeing as I told him I would be charged two different times for doing the same test, and with my co-pay, why not do it all at once. Seeing mostly wouldn't there be a good chance that there would be something wrong in the neck, like a pinched nerve or something that runs down into the shoulder and arm area? Now my next question would be... would an MRI show up the muscles and tendons in the arm with FM? And is this disease an anti-inflammatory disease like arthritis, as I've had conflicting conversations with many and they are all so different answers, and these are all people that should know!!!

I'm so sorry for my rambling, but I just can't seem to get a grip on this pain, let alone any answers to why I should be in this ungodly pain that to the point as I'm typing, my arm and shoulder hurt so bad I'm crying and I never cry!!!! I also don't have a very understanding husband at the moment who I can turn to for support, and all he tells me is..... "can't you take another pill for the pain"?/!!!! Don't get me wrong, I love my husband and he loves me, but I know he doesn't understand anymore than I do about this DD!! He did go out this past weekend and bought this beautiful arbor that I wanted so bad, but seeing money has been short because of the military retiries having their money stolen by some computer hacker that broke into the computers and stole all our money for the moment....don't even get me going on that one....but he knows I love my garden and landscaping he did that for me, and that was his way of telling me how he feels. He can be a sweetheart when he wants to be!!!

So, with all my venting and going on and on, I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me about the shoulder and the pain.

Thank you for reading and taking the time out of your busy lives to help me if you can.....and please all be well and pain free as you are all in my thoughts and prayers!!
    Gentle hugs to everyone....
    Shelby
  2. kbak

kbak Member

Hi,
    I've had terrible problems with my R arm over the yrs. I've had capel tunnel and cubital tunnel surgery, and still had problems with my R shoulder taboot.

Anyhow, my Rummy suggested physical therapy. While talking to the PT about this problem, he suggested pool therapy. With pool therapy I do shoulder and arm exericses in the pool.

At first I thought I'd be spending a lot of money for nothing. The first couple of times in the pool, I hurt pretty bad after, but kept after it, and it has worked better than anything else I've ever done.

The only thing that still bother's me is if I type to much, so I don't type much. The therapy has really helped relieve my pain. I never would have thought I'd get so much relief.

If this is something your able to do, I would highly suggest it.

It's horrid to be in so much pain. I hope you get the help you need!

K.
  3. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

My neck, shoulders and arms can ache sooo bad that there are times that all I can do is cry. My neck gets to where it feels like its not strong enough to hold up my head.

It sometimes feels like Ive been hit by sledge hammers. Of course this is not the only pain I have. I have severe FM and it lets me know every day that I have no control of what it does to my body and my mind.

I use a massaging pillow for my neck and upper shoulders. I also use cream and if I get one strong enough, it helps some. I use ice to numb my back when it gets too bad to handle

Im on every med known to man. Speaking of men, you must be proud of yours. I too have a loving husband but we both know, when this DD gets too bad, noone understands except your friends here

{{{{{SOFT HUGS}}}}}

Suzette
  4. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

but mine is mostly in the center of my back.It's fibro and Yes it can hurt that much.The best thing is reat.Linda
  5. diva42597

diva42597 New Member

I have the same thing and at one time I was diagnosed with myofacial pain syndrome. Now with the newer diagnosis of fibro...I'm not sure if I have that also or just fibro, but you're right it is AGONY. My only solution is get yourself to a chiropractor stat. You are most likely severely misaligned. I get particularly bad spasms when I sit a certain way too long. Chiropractic care has made my condition manageable. I no longer take pain meds on a regular basis even though I have the constant pain. It's not as severe with regular adjustments. If you are new to chiropractic I would suggest finding one that does a combination of tens unit (like an electronic muscle messager), heat, cold packs and adjustment. I find a raw adjustment only aggrevates the condition more. I am so sorry you are in so much pain. I was there too and you can get through it. Another suggestion is accupuncture. It doesn't do anything to correct the problem, but it does alleviate some of the symptoms. In both cases make sure you find professionals that are qualified and come highly recommended. I wish you the best!!!

Kristen
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Shelby:

First of all: dry up those tears. I have the same problema dn probably just as bad as you. I live on a heating pad,
    have a massage once a month and have a lady come in twice a month to clean. It eases up on the pain because you know what it takes to clean. (And she's very reasonable).

I situate the heating pad in the painful area and move it around as needed. I also use a tennis ball against the wall and move my back around on it.

If the pain is that bad you are on the right medication and it sounds like you have a caring doctor. Just do less. Do only what you can do. I do very little and can not work.
    I got over the guilt as I was able to ease up on the pain.

I hope this little bit helps somewhat.

Again, dry those tears.

Hugs,
    nyrofan
  7. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

I can't thank all of you as much as I would like, and I wanted to put all your names in the title, but there were too many to name!! I am so overwhelmed by the support everyone gives each one of us on this board that I just couldn't help but cry with joy for your answers to my questions with so much compassion and understanding!!
    Priceless!!!

I did last night use one of those home handheld massage things on my shoulder with some relief, I even amazed myself!! I feel better just reading all your advice and answers that explained that this Fibro really can cause that much pain. That now I understand more why so many have to be on pain meds in the first place, along with all the other problems asscociated with it. I'm just so overwhelmed with admiration of how you all cope with this terrible disease and still be a survivor of this and live a somewhat "normal" life.

I'm having my MRI done tomorrow and for the first time I'm hoping that something actually shows up to explain what the problem is, and yet scared too. Although nothing might not show up, as I understand now, if its the Fibro thats causing it, but hopefully it will show the muscles and tendons being somewhat pinched or whatever, it should show something I would think or hope. At least its the beginning of hopefully finding something out and then take it from there with other testings.

I do have a great Dr. who understands alot about Fibro, but he knows that I'm still sort of in denial, and is helping me learn a little at a time so I don't get overwhelmed with too much information, or I go into these flair ups. We see each other every 3 weeks and each time he gives me a little more to comprehend. I think this has helped me, but of course I still need alot more information and support, which brought me to you wonderful group of people!!! I told him all about this board and he thinks that is wonderful and a very good support system for anyone with this terrible disease. I do go in his office with a full list of questions from stuff I've learned here and that doesn't scare him off, like it does some Dr's!!

I'm so sorry for the long post, but I did have to tell you how much I appreciate everything you have told me with great information and compassion..... I'm also so sorry that everyone of you is in some type of pain like I'm feeling, and hopefully someday we can find a cure or a better way of living with this terrible disease.

Gentle hugs to everyone of you!!
    Shelby