How do you manage the heat?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sparrowshell, Dec 6, 2005.

1. sparrowshell

sparrowshell New Member

It's now reached over 42degrees celsius here in Sydney (Australia) - Mum just phoned to tell me. That's HOT and also a record for this time of Summer, so early in December!

Our aircon is struggling a little here at work - although it is definitely cooler in the office than outside!!! As I was just walking to the shop, almost unable to breath due to the hot air, to get a bread roll to have something to eat (as I'm famished - it's after 3pm), I couldn't help but think to myself, "Now you know I love you God, but WHAT were you thinking when you created this kind of heat!!???? This is ridiculous!!! I may as well get myself a packet of muffin mixture ... mix it up ... and set it out on the sidewalk to cook ... unbelievable!"

I'm not a big fan of the heat! I e-mailed my friends in Austria the other day and commented on how I wish I was there in the snow. Their response - they wished they were here on the beach! Let's swap ...

I mean apart from having no energy anyway with heatlh issues --- the heat makes me feel like a whithered plant ... just like this poor sunflower ...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/sparrowshell/wiltingflower.jpg

Time for a glass of water, I think! :)

Do you folks with CFS / FM just go "uugggh - Summer!"??? I mean, do you really struggle with the extra no energy / exhaustion factor - no energy upon no energy - because the heat drains you? How do you all manage?

[This Message was Edited on 12/06/2005]
  2. kylesmom

kylesmom New Member

I avoid it. It gets hot and stays hot here (Houston, Texas) for about nine months of every year, so I stay inside as much as my kiddos will let me. The heat definitely exacerbates the fatigue, but when it gets cold (like today; yes 52F is cold to me!) the pain gets worse. The only thing I can recommend is to increase your water intake as much as possible. I don't know that I've ever really found anything that helps.
  3. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

I live in Bendigo vic and the heat knocks me luckily here it is mostly a dry heat I think you get more humidity than us I have air con home and in the car and I use it lol
    Linda
  4. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I live in Tennessee, we have hot, humid summers. Cool weather has been worse for me than the heat.

Of course, I have central air to escape to, and I don't have to work outside a lot.

I used my pool a lot this summer, do you have a pool nearby you could escape to?
  5. Geechie

Geechie New Member

in the US. I stay in the house, in the daytime, pretty much from June till the end of September.
    It just turned cool here.
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I absolutely hate the heat -- hot, humid summers is the worst season for me. The heat makes me physically ill.

I stay inside our air conditioned house, which we keep at 68F. My car is also A/C'd, but I try not to go anywhere during the hottest part of the day.

I live in the US (Kentucky) and our weather is not that cold right now; however, we are expecting some colder weather soon -- but I don't mind it at all! I prefer spring and fall weather, but winter is not bad unless we get snow and ice.

I am ignorant when it comes to celsius temps. Please tell me how cold that is in F. We were never taught C or any metric units when we were in school--I think they do now, but that doesn't do me any good!

I hope you get by this summer -- wear a lot of sandels and lightweight, light colored clothes; and stay inside as much as you can!

Hugs,
    Janet
  7. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

My body temp was all out of wack this summer. I live in Calif. and our summers avg 90F of dry heat. I rarely ran the a/c until just before my hubby got home and then I'd go upstairs and gut under the down comforter because it would chill me. I felt cold all summer this year even on the 100F days.

Typical summers it was a relief to take a drive in to Oakland or San Francisco just to cool off and enjoy the cooler bay temperatures. This year it would chill me and I would get the chills so bad my teeth would chatter for 5 minutes and I would have to put the heater on in my truck and it was 68F.

This was my first summer with FMS. Any other summer I would have been out enjoying the heat playing in the water with the pre-school children I teach, but I didn't work this last summer. Must be why my Vit. D got so low.

Now that winter's arrived and our mornings are 36F and our days are 50F, I long for the warmth of summer. I'm freezing.
  8. Empower

Empower New Member

I live in Pennsylvania USA and right now we have FRIGID cold and are expecting a snowstorm tomorrow

I don't know which is worse the heat or cold, as we had a HORRIFIC summer with intense heat - in the 90's for long periods of time and the humidity was HIGH

I REALLY have a hard time with the heat, and everyone says it is periomenopause, but I don't think it is. My body CANNOT regulate temp

My sister in law in Connecticut USA is heading to Sydney next week...hope it cools down some!
  9. sparrowshell

sparrowshell New Member

Somehow, I know it's not going to cool down - we're just heading into summer ... and the bushfire season too! Thanks for the tips so far, everyone.

Yesterday, it got up to 42C = 108F ... that's hot!!! And it's going to be another hot one today - probably around 33C = 90F. Poor us sufferers with CFS / FM.