How Do You Protect Yourself from Ticks? (Lyme)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by windblade, May 19, 2006.

1. windblade

windblade Active Member

Hi,
    I live in New Jersey - a high risk state whose statistics have just gone up.

We have woods only 20' behind our house, with deer, a flock of wild turkeys, numerous carriers like field mice.

I feel so trapped because I would love to do some simple pruning of bushes, but the animals roam on the front lawns,and all over the property.

So I consider my property as equal to being in the woods.

Any ideas of protection that would be sufficient here?

Thanks!

p.s. With MCS can't use DEET or chemicals
  2. WendyC

WendyC New Member

I live in CT and my yard was literally teaming with tics. Since buying guinnea hens and letting them free range I don't have a single tic. Guinneas love to eat them. Check them out on the web. They are quite entertaining birds too.
    Wendyc
  3. jarjar

jarjar New Member

Mosquitos and even sand fleas can carry Lyme. Thats part of the reason that so many people with lyme don't even remember being bitten by a tick.

Jar
  4. windblade

windblade Active Member

Your solution sounds wonderful for farmland! A natural way to deal with the problem.

Our place is odd in that the front of the house and street is completely suburban.

There is just one strip of land - woods in back of one block (mine) that has all these wild animals.

The poor animals in overpopulated New Jersey have nowhere to go, except for these pockets of woods.

5. windblade

windblade Active Member

Stormy - thanks - found the article. I'm mostly concerned about overgrown bushes, vines to cut back. I can ask
    dncnfngrs if she has any ideas how to get the DE up higher on the brush ,weeds , etc.

Jar - what do you do about the mosquitos?
  6. jarjar

jarjar New Member

If you have mosquitos usally you have stagnet water somewhere that you need to rid. Also they like fallen leaves. Use spray and citronella sp? candles. They do not like lemon grass plants either.
  7. windblade

windblade Active Member

We have a tiny stream in our side yard. We're renting -can't get rid of it. But will check out citronella products and lemon grass.

Thanks so much!
  8. windblade

windblade Active Member

bumping for more ideas