How do you reach your back to apply creams??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bailey-smom, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I know this is a strange question but I have quite a bit of burning on my shoulders & back. It is tough to reach every where to apply creams that help - anyone have a suggestion if you are by yourself? The hubby works well but I can't bring him to work:)

Thanks
    Kelly
  2. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

How about a bath back brush with a soft cloth wrapped over it.Mine has a curved handle, I also have a back scratcher,that could be wrapped with a soft cloth or even a sponge.It's much lighter in weight.
    Hugs Shirley
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have recently had to do that and I used these long looking Q-tips that you can find at electronic stores to clean hard to reach electronic parts.

I think some of the other people had better ideas, though. The one from Walmart sounds really good.

Some really inventive person should invent just such a thing. Would sell millions! :)

Hugs,
    Faye
    Oh, the Q-tip will only reach part of your back, not your entire back. I have a back scratcher and I probably would have put one of the duster mitts on it and put the cream on that, but never had to go that far. (no pun)
  4. sofy

sofy New Member

I have a large long handles plastic spoon. I put the product on the back of the spoon and then spread it around the spot where I want it.

If its oily then I usually just put one or two drops on the spoon at a time and get it back there asap and then do it again and again until I have as much as I want.

I like this cuz Im not putting so much product on a pad that will soak up so much and then get thrown away. It also is easy to wash every time so I dont have to worry about bacteria growing in the cream or oil.
  5. rrsbaby

rrsbaby New Member

I also use a long handle spoon, no waste and you can wash and reuse them forever.
    RRSbaby
  6. zibit17

zibit17 New Member

I use a wooden spoon with the long handle. I put the cream etc. on the back of spoon and can reach my whole back. I also use it to reach my feet when I can't bend.
  7. sofy

sofy New Member

Just like kitchen sponges can grow bacteria, pad used for spreading creams, lotions or oils are a bacteria breeding ground waiting to happen. Just washing it might not kill all the growth potential so drop it in boiling water or something to BE SURE you kill all the bacteria it picks up from your skin.

We have enough troubles without adding more. Thats the nice thing about the plastic or metal spoon it can easily be sterilized.

Remember clorox does not always kill proteins. Cloxox will cause protein to coagulate and not kill it so its not always as absolute as boiling water.

I know Im a nut job about this but I use to have to deal with sterile when I was a working girl so its hard to let that part of me go. At least once a year I had to attend a lecture on how to keep thing as clean and sterile as possible.

You should hear me give my dentist a grill on how they manage sterilization in their office. If they dont tell me the right things Im off to a new dentist.

Lyme might have rendered me stupid but not 100% stupid!