How do you spend your time?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jeans16, May 15, 2008.

1. Jeans16

Jeans16 New Member

Heya guys,

I wonder if you'd mind sharing how you spend your days?

I spend mine on my laptop, also with the tv on. I worked it out and I'm in front on the pc up to 10hrs a day. I use the tv and pc simultaneously because it enables me to tune out of my pain and anxiety.

However, I want to live my life more, to be more in the moment, and to make friends.

How do you spend your time and how do you suggest I meet friends (as I don't work, & can't play sport)?

Thanks for sharing :eek:)
  2. spacee

spacee Member

Very good on figuring out the laptop and tv. That does help tune out the negative.

I have not been able to watch much tv all these years but I have just figured out that if the room is pretty dark and the bed is comfy...then I can enjoy a few hours. That really helps me "feel" like I have been with people. and I like shows that make me laugh.

I don't have any answers for meeting friends. Hopefully, someone else will have some experience in that area. All my friends have moved out of state over the years. I have gone through a sadness over that but I am a lot better now. I know a lot of others here feel the same as I...friendless.

I do wish you friends!!

3. homesheba

homesheba New Member

feel lonely , and i have hobbies i try and do and 4 dogs but mostly watch vidios and try and cook supper for me and hubby and read and sleep also about 2-3 hours a day. ihate this weakness!!
    also am on web and well.. just try and keep on keepin on the best i can. i try and walk everyday just to not loose any more strength in my legs.
  4. Goldyfm

Goldyfm New Member

I feel as if I do nothing. I seem to get up and down a lot. I find myself more or less pacing because I am so bored. I try to check in with the boards for a short time every few days, but most of my time is spent sitting outside on the porch swing or lying in bed with the TV. I rarely feel like much else. How can one not be bored?

Reading has never been a favorite of mine. I used to sew, but that has gone by the wayside because of eyesight and stamina issues. I loved to cook but now rarely do anymore. I also loved to garden and do home improvements(paint, etc) but those are no longer an option.

I do have a small dog that gets me out a few times a day and is great company.

I am looking forward to others suggestions. Maybe I will find a new something to do.
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

I am up at 6:30 a.m. get dressed go take granddaughter to school by 8 am then sit with the 3 yr old greatgran, thank goodness most of the morning she will watch tv. I lie around.

Then lunch, pick up greatgran daughter and granddaughter at school at 3 , then snacks and sit with them till daughter gets off work. Thank goodness the 16 yr old granddaughter helps.

I am to tired for dinner so order carry out which has got to stop cause I am gaining so much weight.

On Thursdays I do 250 church bulletins, fold, file and work in the office about 3 hrs. Every other week I do this plus over 400 news letters which takes all day. I do this with the 3 yr old.

This is my life and its killing me, I just can't keep up but don't know what to do. When school is out the 16 yr old will help some once she gets back from her trip to FL.

Then there is my housework, laundry, on weekends when I don't have the children I try to get grocries and rest . I get so sick of feeling this bad and trying to do.

I seem to have no time for myself if I do its spent in bed. I need to improve my appearance but just don't have the energy.

That's my day,
  6. smokiebones

smokiebones New Member

Well my day is hectic but I still work. By the end of the day I am SPENT!

I also TV and Lap Top at the same time. I have an electric throw that I sit on it helps the pain in my back, shoulders and neck. (My Chihuahua likes it!) I have also been taking it to bed with me and it is helping my leg spasms and pain.

This fibro crap makes me feel like I need to move because I am all stoved up but, then when I do move my muscles put on the breaks and say "not today sister!" Drives me!

As for meeting friends how about Bingo, you can sit for a while, you can stand for a while, heck you can jump up and down if you are feeling really spunky.

I like Yoga; I met someone else with FM there. She does not get around very well at all. We do what we can as far as the cold stretches. Which are good for us both mentally and physically. The relaxation technique is the best part and I use those techniques everywhere. When I am shopping and am aggregated/hurting, when the pain just seems to be too much, when my 15 year old push every button I

Well that’s my 2 cents, hope you find something you can do. Good Luck!

7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

It is really hard for me to recall what I do all day. I think I need to start a diary. Sometimes the time goes quickly and other times it drags out and I feel so useless as it is wasting good time. But then this DD, this is something that is beyond my control.

I have always enjoyed reading and fortunately I am usually able to do that.

I also enjoy films and joined Netflix which is much cheaper and more convient than running to Blockbuster. Netflix also has the films where you can instantly watch them, even if you have their DVD's at home. I do not watch much TV but do have a few programs I enjoy. If the sound on the TV is overstimulating, I use closed captioning.

I have also found that it is easier to have friends come to my house when I am too overwhelmed or not feeling good enough to go out but good enough to enjoy some conversation. I am fortunate that my friends and relatives have been so accepting. It took me a long time to tell my friends that this is what I sometimes need and cuts down on having to cancel plans. Occasionally, I will feel well enough to go to a movie or out to visit friends.

I belong to a writing group through the Unitarian Church but have not always been able to make it which is fine with the teacher. We are writing about how to become more spiritual combined with our personal experiences as well as others, that will be shared with members of the church. I have mostly contributed by finding relevant topics on the internet which can be used and I can do at home.

The best thing and one of the reasons I moved from Chicago to my home town is I am now close to my daughter, son in law and my grandaughter. I love being a grandmother.

My father also lives close by and visits at least once every two weeks or sometimes my daughter and I will spend the weekend at his house. Her husband is gone for ten weeks working as an intern for an engineering firm and she is very close to my dad.

I almost forgot, my laptop computer which comes in so handy. I even watch DVD's on it.

Wow,I guess I do more than I realized.

[This Message was Edited on 05/16/2008]
  8. munch1958

munch1958 Member

It used to be....

running a business and organizing charity benefits.

Now it's...

doctors and
    more doctors.

Some days, it seems my new profession is professional patient.

Seriously, I spend lots of time building and administering websites, checking Google for today's news on my illness, spreading the word about Lyme Borreliosis and Co-Fiends, taking phone calls from other patients, doing the necessary paperwork involved in running a non-profit organization, while trying to drum up publicity for the Lyme cover-up.

In my spare time....

I'm working on a poker run to benefit a local non-profit organization that provides training and housing for handicapped individuals in my county.
  9. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

get up with family at 7 a.m.....herd my boys around, get them dressed, make them breakfast, make sure the brush teeth etc....hubby drives them to school...clean up kitchen, throw in laundry....collapse back in bed by 8:30-9a.m....lay in bed, sleep, read, make calls, shop online, starting at 1 p.m. I am in charge of my daughter, 21, with cerebral palsy....

her pca's leave at 1 and the next one comes at 5 pm....she and i just rest in the afternoon...3pm hubby brings boys home, 18 yr old daughter arrives back home...I listen to all their news from my bed....they get their own after school snacks...hubby makes supper and chases the boys into shower and bed....i read Harry Potter to the boys while they lay in their some more laundry

then i take my a to people on

i have a chihuahua to take potty a few times daily and a big dog, too...and two cats to feed and clean their potty box...

i have felt terrible lately so sraightening up the house is getting difficult....I leave the house about 1 or 2 times a month...only for something I can not bear to miss that the kids are involved in....or the doc...or hair salon...

I get really anxious before I have to go day is ruined until i leave and get it over with...

It helps to read that there are others that do the same things I do(nothing) all day....i feel less alone
  10. bohemia

bohemia New Member

hi all:
    1. im still working, in a child care center.
    2 more yrs. to retired.
    2. I love to dance. i take dancing classes every summer
    3. I love to crochet, its very relaxing.
    4. Im very creative, especially w/the sewing machine.
    5. I go to themovies offen, cant wait to see Indiana
    6. I love to go camping & lay down by the pool or sandy
    7. Love to read.
    8. Listen to my oldies.
    9. love to decorate,clean & organize my home & garden.
    10. Enrolled in college, that will keep me busy!!!!!!!
    11. Television & computers are a waste of my time & energy

take care, hugs,bo
  11. charming

charming New Member

I admire you Bohemia
    [This Message was Edited on 05/29/2008]
  12. charming

charming New Member

I work in a hospital on the night shift taken car of CHF patients an hemodialysis patients. but after that I take shower eat and rest then maybe cook dinner or let my kids fend for themself with microwave or toaster oven cooked foods. They old enough 21,16 and 10 years old. sometimes my son who's 16 cook dinner and clean up the house,an sometimes we let it go for a few days but not where it accumulate bugs or mices just a few pain can get to a point where I do lye down and watch TV and it is comforting.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/29/2008]
  13. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

Bakeman said it for me,

its pushing, then crashing, pushing then crashing, repeat.

I feel like a robot most of the time.

- Trevor
  14. greatgran

greatgran Member

I posted once to this about what I try to do with my body time wise, like I say its way to much but have to keep going , not sure how I can keep doing this.

It just occured to me I go thru the motions of doing but "MY MIND TIME" is always on this Darn Disease. I awake thinking about it almost evey waking hour I am thinking about this with all the "What If's".

Maybe if I could get my mind focused on something else, which is hard when your body is crying out with all the aches, anxiety etc., wonder if I could do more or feel better.

Anyway I hate this darn thing that has taken over my mind and body.

God Bless,
  15. Well I try to sleep through the night until at least 6 am but it doesn't work, I toss and turn. I get up and watch the news on tv. Then shower, do my hair , get dressed. Then I ck my computer. I try to pick up the house a little at a time, do laundry. I have to rest in between. If I have to go to the grocery store, I am done in for the day. I try to cook some dinner, but not like I used to. Nothing really exciting. At least now I can open the door, and windows and enjoy the spring weather. Then off and on I ck. my computer. Exciting isn't it.

I don't have friends like I used to, I have met alot of cyber friends and met a few in person after talking to them over time and getting to know them.
  16. malony33

malony33 New Member

I worked(professional;long hours,on my feet a lot,tons of
    paperwork...)until 5 yrs. ago when I decided to retire on
    disability. Too young,cried for a year,but no choice.

I still am ill much of the time,so I'm limited - it's a heck-of-a-way to live. And like most of you,MANY MD appts over the years,but fewer since my ins. co. is refusing to pay.

Some TV and reading,more PC time,HOURS sleeping. Lately, I'm hardly ever outside. Look terrible,used to be impeccable from head to toe,now too tired. Where did that glamour girl go? She's not in MY mirror...

SPACEE, I too am sooo lonely. Friends have died, retired, or just moved on. Chronic, debilitating illness is very isolating.

Thank God for my wonderful husband, who pretty much does everything. Our 25-yr.-old son is living w/us, too. He is a police officer and a fabulous son. He makes sure I watch
    THE OFFICE and a few good movies or NatGeo w/him every week. He is also an absolute RIOT, which raises my spirits immensely.

So I'm still here, the Lord hears my prayers, and I try to take one day at a time and NOT wallow in self-pity.
  17. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

Alarm goes off 7:30am (I want to throw it against the wall).

Use snooze button a lot, finally stagger up about 8:15

Work til 5:30 then home (struggling all day, in pain and trying not to crawl under desk and sleep), cook dinner (or crash then cook dinner), clean up, do laundry, then maybe go for a walk (with a stick or me hanging on my husband like a 90 year old). Then watch TV til 1:00am,while also paying the bills, going through stuff, and other small projects, then bed.

Weekends - usually sleep either very late or all day. Husband usually gone weekends.
  18. terrisews

terrisews New Member

You all sound like me - do a little, sit down, do a little, lay down,
    My day starts by sleeping as long as I can thank goodness my dgd that I keep sleeps late also. I get up and see to her needs, sit down. I try to do a little a day but you can only do so much with this stuff. When dgd naps in afternoon, I do too. When my dd gets home from school I either cook dinner or sew, not both. I depend on my family for everything. They shop, pick up, cook sometimes and all deep cleaning. I don't know how I would make it without them. My favorite hobbies are sewing, cooking, reading and movies.

BTW - the new Indiana was fabulous - best so far. There was just so much tension in it that I had to take extra pain meds to stop hurting! lol

Terri in TN
  19. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

Before fibromyalgia required me to retire, I was on the go all the time. Now that I have all the time in the world, I love it. My life has gotten much simpler.

I've learned that I have about 40% of the energy I used to have, so I try to prioritize what I do. Each morning I make a list of the things to do that day, then prioritize it. If I end up doing the top 40%, I'm happy. Most of the time I do more and suffer for it.

I spend lots of time on the Internet and have met some wonderful people here. I belong to this group, BeliefNet, SeniorNet and others. They are the people who keep me from getting depressed. I vent to them and they help me pull out of it.

I also love volunteering. I'm the county Red Cross coordinator of blood drive volunteers. I also work about 2 hours a week straightening book shelves and our local library. I belong to a local fibromyalgia group that meets once a month and a TOPS Club which meets once a week.

I own my home and, with my partner, try to keep the lawns and gardens looking nice. I also clean my home myself because I live on a fixed income and can't afford a housekeeper.

But my mantra is pacing. I don't want to be in a position where I've used up too many of my spoons too early in the day.
  20. momof27

momof27 New Member