How do you split up your vitamins/supplements???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pw7575, Feb 15, 2007.

1. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

To all who take vitamins and supplements I am trying to find out what the best time to take them is and with what. I have no idea which ones to take in the morning or at night and what needs to go with food or on an empty stomach. What ones should go together or be taken alone.

I am clueless on all this and would appreciate some help.

I am currently taking:

-multivitamin
    -vitamin C
    -vitamin B Complex
    -magnesium
    -calcium
    -Coenzyme Q10
    -B12 sublingual (starting today)
    -Probiotics (starting next week)

Thanks!
    Pam
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Take the probiotics on an empty stomach.

I take some magnesium in the morning and the rest at night with calcium.

I once had a good doctor say that if magnesium is taken at the same time as calcium, it mostly helps with calcium absorption rather than acting on its own. I don't know if that's true though.

Calcium _might_ also help with sleep.

If your multivitamin has iron, it might be better to take it after a meal. I get stomach upset if I don't.

Best, Lisa

3. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I also heard somewhere that the calcium may use the magnesium to process so I think it is true. If splitting them up will help than I will start doing that as you suggested. Sounds like it makes sense. Plus if the calcium helps with sleep I am all for that :)

My multi does have iron so I should probably keep taking that one with breakfast. I do notice that I feel a bit better after all my vitamins in the morning so I will try to keep some with breakfast.

Thanks!
    Pam
  4. Catseye

Catseye Member

I think the multivitamins should be taken with food, including the Bs.

The coq10 should be in a hydrosoluble or oil form or it is not well absorbed. Its absorption is lower on an empty stomach and greater when taken with foods of high lipid content (fat). I take my first one with or right before breakfast with one of my EFA pills.

Calcium citrate is okay on empty stomach, other calcium with food, like calcium carbonate; it needs stomach acid to dissolve it. This becomes a problem with eating protein; don't take any minerals with protein like meats because meats need stomach acid to break them down properly and the minerals tend to neutralize the acid. So that is the problem with calcium carbonate: you need the acid but the calcium will neutralize it anyway. You'll just have to see if you think you are still digesting your food well and getting the benefit of the calcium. Or just take it with veggies, starches or fruits, instead. This is why I avoid calcium carbonate. I use a chelated mineral supp and calcium citrate instead.

Don't take calcium with meds that need to be taken on an empty stomach and also, don't take calcium with:

tetracycline
    iron supps
    thyroid hormones
    corticosteroids

Calcium binds to these substances and will interfere with their effectiveness and its own absorption.

As for mag with cal, I've read both sides, take them together, take them apart. I think most of the "take them togethers" mean if you are taking a cal supp you should also be taking a mag supp, not necessarily at the same time. But then I also read that magnesium aids with the absorption of calcium. The mineral supp I take has them both, more mag than cal, and I'm healing steadily so I think that together is fine.

best wishes,

karen

5. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

My calcium is calcium citrate and I don't eat meat so I guess I am ok with the calcium. Thank you for all of the info. I am going to have to make sure I split these up right so that I get the most out of everything.

Thanks for the help!
    Pam