How do you stay awake at church?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cakedec, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Cakedec

Cakedec New Member

I have FMS and cannot stay awake during worship services at my church, no matter how hard I try. I just keep nodding off until my head jerks and wakes me up. My husband is disgusted that I do this just like an old woman (I'm 46). This happens even if I am interested in what the speaker is saying and I've had a good (with deseryl) night's sleep. (Not to mention a bad example to my children). I've tried provigil and coffee but they make me too jumpy and then I have RLS and can't stay sit down!

Any suggestions?

Deb
  2. blast

blast New Member

I have this problem sometimes.
    I was going to suggest drinking just one half a cup of coffee right before service, and don't take your deseryl the night before, or cut your dose way back.

I, have finally managed to keep myself awake. I am so interested at all of our services, as we have a wonderful pastor, who keeps us interested, throwing in jokes here and there, or says something to keep you in the groove. (so to speak).

I hope your hubby understands that you are not doing this on purpose, and your kids as well. It is your disease, not you! Make sure to remind them of this.
  3. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I sing in the choir, gotta stay awake to do that! Try fidgeting a little, you know, shake a foot or twiddle your thumbs. Participate in the service more fully.
  4. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

It may just give you the "something to do" that can keep you awake yet you would still be able to listen to the sermon.

Kelly
  5. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I have a hard time with this too. I really enjoy our pastor's messages, so it's not that I'm bored at all. I just have a hard time sitting still to begin with, then if I manage to sit still, then I get sleepy.

I have had to take an Excedrin before going to church or to a meeting at work just to keep me alert!

It's embarrasing isn't it?

Kinsie
  6. Tiels

Tiels New Member

it's really a blessing to be so relaxed and comfortable in church and the peacefullness of the Spirit~~

I know~~ it's bad to fall asleep.

Maybe the gum or the candy idea is worth a try!!! Maybe a cinnamon flavor, something non`soothing! :)

Just stay peaceful, and praise the Lord you DO!! go to church, and I know He appreciates you being there!
  7. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

so Sunday mornings have always been difficult for me. Its soooo easy to say, lets just stay home today? Isn't it? Well, our church started a Saturday night service last fall, and we have started going to that. It is awesome, much more relaxed, have a coffee/fellowship time after that, kind of like an out-reach to the community thing. I work every other Sat, so I go after work, family meets me there, and we worship then! I love it! No more guilty feelings about missing Sunday morning. It take a bit of time to get used to it, but now I can sleep in Sunday morning knowing I've already worshiped and it is ok!
    Blessings,
    Raz