How do you survive while waiting for SSDI?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Tigger57, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I know that a lot of us have very serious financial problems due to lack of work or extaordinary health expenses.

What I'd like to know is... how do you survive in the meantime until you get SSI or SSDI approved?

I live alone and my brother has proved to me that he is no help there.

Thanks,
    Tigger
  2. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

This can be a very stressful time...

If it were not for my husband working, I dont know how we would have made it, but even with him working it was extremly hard...

Going from 2 good incomes to 1 (or 1 to 0) all of a sudden can be very hard and stressful.

As someone else stated apply for Every State Program there is Avaiable....Food stamps, Medicaid, Fuel Assistance....

Many area's have local churches that will help out during this time with Food and Clothing. I know here there are several churches that join together and have a food pantry open every Thursday of the week for those in need.

Salvation Army & Good Will..will also help out with food, clothing and even help in paying certain bills such as Electricty, Fuel Etc....

I personally could not get food stamps etc... because of my husbands income, but anyone living alone especially, should be able to get assistance.

You can only have upto a certain amount of income coming into your household to be approved for Food stamps and Medicaid. But even if there is a spouse working, with low income its still possible to get assistance. Always worth a try if in Need.

[This Message was Edited on 07/31/2005]
  3. Peace7

Peace7 New Member

You can also apply for local programs such as LiHeap (energy assistance) which will help pay for your gas or electric bill.

You may be able to get Lifeline phone service. This gives you a credit towards your basic phone service each month.

You can use your local food banks. My husband and I use 3 different food banks. 2 local and one at the church we attend allows us to pick what we want. Call your local churches and ask if they have a food bank or know where they are located. Sometimes you can also get toilet paper, soap and shampoo which food stamps doesn't cover.

There are programs to provide free medications from the amnufacturers.

There are social service agencies and churches that are willing to help with rent, utilities, food and occasionally other things. Check your yellow pages under Social Services and contact agencies such as Salvation Army, Catholic Community Services and similar agencies run by Lutherans, Methodists and Episcopalians. It does not matter if you attend a church or not, they will help anyone.

Peace,
    Anne

4. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I'm also in RI northern part. If it was not for my hubby returning to work after retirement I do not know what I would do.
    My dear hubby of 4 yrs retired from teaching after 34 yrs. With my ins. bill and all my doctor and med copays he had to find a job. I am so grateful that he is my partner. He is so caring and believes and knows that I am sick.Does everything for me.I love him dearly.
    I received a letter that my hearing would be soon. I hope so than he can stop working , and enjoy himself.
    Sorry not much help.My hubby helps me cope.

Sue
  5. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

If you rent you might also check to see about getting on Section 8 housing list. I'm am doing that myself. The list are sometimes closed or have a long waiting list but check into it. Where I live I can find any rental and ask if they accept Section 8. If they do and they meet the Section 8 standards you will only have to pay 30% of your income towards rent and utilities. Section 8 picks up the rest.

You should also qualify for food stamps even by yourself. They won't give you much but something is better then nothing. Also apply for Title 19 or state medical. That will help with your prescriptions. Last but not least is the food banks. Check into them. Where you apply for medical and food stamps might have a list of the food banks in your city along with other places that offer help. Good luck and hang in there. Sue
  6. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I just don't know what to do. I ran my State Temporary Disability to the end. I've applied for Unemployment. I guess my previous employers are going to give me a bit of a hard time about it. They are suppose to call me Tuesday morning for "ajudication."

I've been applying for jobs left and right. I had an interview on Thursday, but they are few and far between.

I scared because I don't know if I can even keep up if I get a job.

I have a home... which has a mortgage and everything that goes with it. I don't know what to do, and I'm very scared. I can't even afford to have medical tests done. This is insane. I've worked hard all my life... and to know have it all ripped away is killing me... chunk by chunk.

Again, thanks for your input.
    Tigger
  7. rigby

rigby New Member

If you had a job description and you had to do thing not on it this can some times help you get unemployment.
  8. paige51

paige51 New Member

I know what you are going through. I tried for these benefits,my husband made 200 dollars more than the limit and was denied everything. strange isn't it?, while working i paid into assistance programs never thinking i would ever have to apply and be turned down.

I look at this as being a temporary situation and should not be denied help. after all, when benefits are received we will no longer need this assistance.

good luck.
  9. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I'm looking for a job, but I worry that I won't be able to do it and therefore will be fired.

I guess I'm looking into the future.

Right at this moment I have NO income. The list of bills that are do is enormous (for me anyway) and my brother, who promised to help... hasn't.
    Hugs,
    Tigger

10. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

I am so sorry your having to go through this. I wished there was something, I could do to help. Please check into all of the State programs I and others listed above.

With you having no income coming in, it should not be a problem with you getting help. I'm sorry your brother is not helping you like he said he would.

Please check into the different programs, they can help you until you get back on your feet. I hope you will be able to find a job you can do.

There is nothing wrong with looking to the future...I wished I would have prepared more then I did, before I was no longer able to work. I guess one never really thinks or wants to think that one day you want be able to work.

If you are worried you will not be able to do any job, it would not hurt to go ahead and get your ducks in a row, in case you do need to file for SS disability. I hope you will be able to find a job that you can do and handle...but it does not hurt to be prepared ahead of time in case you can't.

Wishing you Best of luck and your in my thoughts & Prayers

Hugs
    Bluerose
    [This Message was Edited on 08/01/2005]
  11. cushy

cushy New Member

I am 36 and disabled not eligable for unemployment I get 400 $from the state and unable to work because of my fibro,osteo,and cushings I am in excruciating pain I am appealing ssdi for the 3rd time I finally have an attourney that will represent me my rent is $675 there is no funding out there housing is a waiting list of 1-5 years but at least I am on it the only way I have been surving is through my church they have been helping me pay my rent I don't know how much longer they are going to be able to help me it is very scary to say the least I am somewhat a liability to them no family that can help I have an eviction notice for late fees and am getting ready to be kicked out if I don't pay I am going to appear in court for this I don
    t have the money it has been a night mare so just hang in ther I know exactly wht you are going through god will answer your prayers just be patient

god bless
    buddy1

12. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

For tigger to see my second post to her & to see Cushy post to her!

Hugs
    Bluerose
  13. Sunrise2780

Sunrise2780 New Member

tigger57,

BLUEROSE7 gave you excellent suggestions about checking into whatever programs that are in your state. I also agree about "looking into the future". MOF it's a definitely good idea. Please don't get upset about my thought - but you might have to sell the house. It's not unusual for persons/families to lose everything they had.

As for job shopping, PLZ file for SSDI NOW! And I also believe that you DON'T look for a job.

I only rented an apt, but I was and still am without family or any social support. It was a horrific experience for me (it opened up some serious past issues). I think the only thought that kept me from ending my life is that I couldn't "abandon" my 2 cats. They didn't deserve that & they are my responsibility. So I guess I can say they kept me alive.

There's an excellent site that can answer all your questions: Social Security Coalition 'dot' com (type all together). <<I hope I didn't break any rules with the way I did this.>>
  14. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

Thanks everyone! You are all so wonderful.

I really want to work, because I get bored being at home. After being at my last job for 10 years and being let go because I'm not 100% was an extreme blow to me.

I'm sitting here right now waiting for unemployment to call so that I can explain why I'm not working. I'm a nervous wreck.

I don't know why, but I can't stand the emotional blow right now of having to file for SSDI... and I can't live on it. I will go down fighting.. and probably working myself to death.

Thanks all.
    Tigger
  15. WHIT1

WHIT1 New Member

this is what we did. i went through the house and got rid of alot of stuff.it helped us for 3 to 4 months until we got the house refinanced. i also went to rehabilitatation center and signed up to see if they could find me a job where the employer knew i had a disability.but i was in to bad of a condition to work. also took an aptitude test that will tell you what kind of jobs you are suited for. well mine is all using my hands,heavy lifting,etc. the main problems i already have. also they have booklets on places to call for help. i had to go to credit councilars to combine bills and my bills went down over $2000 in 4-6 months.they really helped but we ran out of money for that payment but got refinanced and saved us.i got disability the first try and i fill like rehabilitation really helped move it along faster. i appled last july and got it in feb with retro. so with all the other suggestions something will help you get by until then. so good luck.
  16. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

Just wanted to drop in and see how you are! I hope things go well with unemployment. I too had drawn unemployment before realizing, I just wasent going to be able to continue working at all.

I hope & pray you will be able to get the unemployment and find you a job. I know when I applyed for unemployment you have to tell them and be able to work 40 hours a week in order to recieve weekly unemployment checks.

Also most of the time they will ask you why & what happened on your last job. They will get in touch with your last employer and if it was all due to your health, they may have you get your doctor to sign a paper stating you can work 40 hrs a week.

I understand how you feel about working...I wished I was well enough to work, but im just truly not able to. I was at my last job for 11 years and it was very hard not being able to go in anymore, but I had to realize I have to take care of my health.

Whit1... also had a very good idea to make you a little cash to get by for awhile...Having a yard sale/garage sale is a very good idea. Im hoping that I will be able to have one myself before it turns off cold. You would be surprised at how much you can make by having a yard sale. Also would be surprised at how much stuff you have around the house you dont use or need anymore to sale.

Anyway just wanted to Wish you luck and check in to see how your doing.

Please let us know how things go with unemployment!

Hugs & Prayer
    Bluerose
  17. WHIT1

WHIT1 New Member

if you would rather work then these people will help you find a job and the employer will know of your problems. also ssdi works very close to these people and if you decide to go ahead and apply it may go faster. they will see you are trying to do what you can to survive. also take the aptitude test. they watch and record your every move while you are taking the test. they write this down. they usually don't say whether you should get ssdi but the lady who interviewed me asked my councilar if she should reccommend disability for me. he told her if she thinks so then write it down. thus i got it first time.
  18. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Tigger,
    Waiting for SSD to come around is such a stressful time. Poor health and financial difficulties can cause more stress and make it difficult to take care of one's self.

People have already posted some great, helpful ideas. I'll just throw out a couple more. Do you have a Crisis Clinic Hotline in your area? The one here also has a listing of local social service agencies. Maybe they could send you a copy of their list, or suggest other agencies you could contact. Also, you may be able to get some help at the YWCA. How about the local food bank?

I stopped working 5 years ago, and my husband was laid off his job a year and half ago. We really scraped it, got food stamps, energy assistance, and help from family and agencies. For a number of months our credit union helped us by temporarily lowering our mortgage payment. When I finally got my SSD award, we paid back what we owed on about 6 months of lowered mortgage payments. That was a great help. There was no fee involved, and it did not affect our credit rating.

Take care, may all work out for the best and quickly!
    Hopeful4
  19. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

You guys are so full of great information.

I've been gone a couple of days. I had a cyst removed from the top of my head yesterday and it hurts like heck today. As soon as the novacaine wore off it started to hurt, and then trying to sleep was almost impossible.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  20. fivesue

fivesue New Member

just something I was thinking about from Rosemary's post about when do children grow up and stop asking for money.

Ask you parents! You're their child...they'd love to pay your bills.

Now, I'm not making fun of your situation, please don't misunderstand, but it just seemed to fit so flawlessly in my warped mind. I hope nothing offended you as I don't know you too well.

Just my weird sense of humor...

Hugs, and I hope that others really helped. It must be a very stressful time.

Sue